Apple launches Logic Pro X with Drummer, Flex Pitch, plus Logic Remote for iPad

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday launched Logic Pro X, the latest version of its digital audio workstation and MIDI sequencer for Mac, packing in new features like Drummer, Flex Pitch, and the accompanying Logic Remote for iPad, all for $200 on the Mac App Store.

Logic

Logic Pro X's new Drummer feature allows users to access a virtual session player that automatically plays along with a song in a variety of drumming styles and techniques. And the Flex Pitch functionality offers integrated pitch editing for audio recordings.

The Logic Remote app is a new way to play and control Logic Pro X from an iPad. Apple said the software will give musicians the flexibility to create and mix their music from anywhere in the room.

"Logic Pro X is our most powerful version yet, with advanced tools and a modern new interface designed to streamline the process of creating professional quality music," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Musicians are going to love creative new features like Drummer, Flex Pitch, Track Stacks and the Arpeggiator."

Logic

Apple said Logic Pro X has been designed with a modern new look while preserving and expanding the power and features that professional users rely on. The streamlined interface is said to provide access to advanced tools and functionality for more technical tasks, or it can be hidden to allow musicians to focus on being creative.

Flex Pitch can help users fix out-of-tune vocals and even change the melodies of recorded audio by manipulating individual notes within an audio waveform. And Track Stacks will allow users to organize and collapse multiple tracks into one ? or to create rich, layered instruments.

Smart Controls allow users to to manipulate multiple plug-ins and parameters with a single move for quick and powerful sound design. And an improved Mixer helps manage mix sessions more efficiently, with increased visibility into signal flow and dynamics and faster ways to manipulate channel inserts.

Logic

Apple also said Logic Pro X will expand Logic Pro?s rich collection of synthesizers and keyboards with more new instruments. The Arpeggiator is one of nine new MIDI plug-ins and can transform a simple keyboard chord into an elaborate performance.

A new Retro Synth emulates some of the most popular classic synthesizer tones from the '70s and '80s, and Vintage Keyboards offer realistic models of electric pianos, B3 organs and clavs, with sophisticated tone-shaping controls. Bass Amp Designer allows bass players to play and record using vintage and modern bass amps, with cabinets and microphones that can be configured to build a custom bass rig.

Logic Pro X also features an entirely new Sound Library with an updated loop collection and over 1,500 instrument and effect Patches that make creative use of Track Stacks, Smart Controls, the Arpeggiator and other new plug-ins.

Logic Remote

The accompanying Logic Remote app is touted as an innovative new way to extend the creative power of Logic by using your iPad. Designed to take full advantage of the iPad multi-touch display, Logic Remote gives users new ways to record, mix and even perform instruments in Logic Pro X from anywhere in the room, turning their iPad into a keyboard, drum pad, guitar fretboard, mixing board or transport control.

MainStage 3

Also released on Monday was a major update to MainStage, the live performance companion app for Logic Pro X. The software turns a user's Mac into a live rig that can make it easy to bring sounds from the studio to the concert stage.

The newly updated MainStage 3 features a new user interface and maintains compatibility with the new Logic Pro X plug-ins, patches, and smart controls.

Pricing and availability

Logic Pro X and MainStage 3 are now available from the Mac App Store for $199.99 and $29.99, respectively. Logic Remote is also available as a free download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Nothing on Apple.com yet about it. Let's see some demo clips so we can get a better idea of what they did to the program.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Nothing on Apple.com yet about it. Let's see some demo clips so we can get a better idea of what they did to the program.

Well, it's only 5:45am in Cupertino, so the web developers are still waking up, getting ready to go to work. I'm sure they'll have the site updated by noon.

The Press Release was probably done by end of business yesterday.

• Reply 3 of 99

That was smart to have the iPad as a remote.  I'm sure Apple will also come out with a Remote app for Final Cut Pro, even though there are other apps that do that.

• Reply 4 of 99
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

About bloody time.

• Reply 5 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh my ... what a long way we have come since I used one of these ...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/28405/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 6 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

But a lot of bands are going back to old tape machines for their "vintage" sound.

Go check out Auria software.  It can do this on a freaking iPad for $50.  http://auriaapp.com

• Reply 7 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That was smart to have the iPad as a remote.  I'm sure Apple will also come out with a Remote app for Final Cut Pro, even though there are other apps that do that.

Saved me $50 on getting a 3rd party app to control Logic Pro 9. Of course, that money will most likely be spent on Logic Pro X.

• Reply 8 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    drblank wrote: »
    But a lot of bands are going back to old tape machines for their "vintage" sound.

Go check out Auria software.  It can do this on a freaking iPad for $50.  http://auriaapp.com

Cute app, weighs a bit less than the analog version too! LOL Skeuomorphism at its finest too!

Well it was all fun back in the day I admit so perhaps some bands must still enjoy the equipment for its own sake. I can understand that. That said, a Studer tape deck like that is a fraction of the requirements. The racks of equipment used in conjunction filled a room not to mention the mixing desk. The wire harnesses alone were a sight to behold.

Every time I play with Garage Band I never fail to get flash backs to the smell over heated equipment in the back of my brain somewhere ... that and the smell of endless chain smoking of everyone there at the time.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I use a virtual version of the Studer 800 on my Macs, Virtual Tape Machine by Slate Digital.

I've used the real Studers before also, and the plug in is pretty damn good, not to mention not having to buy really expensive tape that only lasted for around 16 minutes in length.
  • Reply 10 of 99

I have Auria on my iPad, it's a pretty sweet app. It's like walking around with a protools system in the palm of your hands.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    As for this new logic software, it's about time! I'll be getting it as soon as I can. Looking forward to checking it out.:smokey:

I also like that Apple made their own remote for iPad. ;)
  • Reply 12 of 99
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

It's LIVE on the App Store.

Go get it.

• Reply 13 of 99
    It's on the App Store.

Go get it.

I can't. I'm on vacation and only brought along my iPad this time. I'm going to have to wait for at least another month. :\
  • Reply 14 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have Auria on my iPad, it's a pretty sweet app. It's like walking around with a protools system in the palm of your hands.

For some reason Android users can't get Auria on it, can they?  Oops.

I have a question, have you tracked 24 tracks at the same time?  If so, what equipment did you use to do to that with?

It would be cool if Mackie and Auria got the two together to create the ultimate iPad based mixing console/recording app.  They could take various iPad mixers like the DL1608 and do 16 track recording on Auria on the same iPad... And then come out with a larger mixer to track up to 24 tracks, etc.

• Reply 15 of 99
    For some reason Android users can't get Auria on it, can they?  Oops.

I have a question, have you tracked 24 tracks at the same time?  If so, what equipment did you use to do to that with?

It would be cool if Mackie and Auria got the two together to create the ultimate iPad based mixing console/recording app.  They could take various iPad mixers like the DL1608 and do 16 track recording on Auria on the same iPad... And then come out with a larger mixer to track up to 24 tracks, etc.

Android?:D Android can't even handle one audio track without latency I bet. :D

As for Auria, I have never recorded 24 tracks at the same time on it, as I don't have an interface that allows me to do that. I have imported many 24 track sessions into Auria, and that works fine, but as I said, never recorded 24 at once.

On the Auria homepage or blog, there is a long list of audio interfaces that are compatible with Auria, everything from 2 input interfaces and up.
  • Reply 16 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android?image Android can't even handle one audio track without latency I bet. image

As for Auria, I have never recorded 24 tracks at the same time on it, as I don't have an interface that allows me to do that. I have imported many 24 track sessions into Auria, and that works fine, but as I said, never recorded 24 at once.

On the Auria homepage or blog, there is a long list of audio interfaces that are compatible with Auria, everything from 2 input interfaces and up.

I was just wondering what your experience was, that's all.  I've been to their site many times over the past few months.

• Reply 17 of 99
    I was just wondering what your experience was, that's all.  I've been to their site many times over the past few months.

My experience has been good, but I do need to stress though that you can easily max out the power of an iPad if you begin to start loading up plugins on Auria. There's no way that I would be able to mix with it. But for tracking and recording or editing, it works pretty good.

I use Auria mostly on an iPad 3 , and I can max it out in no time, just loading a few plugins in.

That's why I'll definitely be getting the iPad 5 whenever that comes out. I need the power.
  • Reply 18 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well it was all fun back in the day I admit so perhaps some bands must still enjoy the equipment for its own sake. I can understand that. That said, a Studer tape deck like that is a fraction of the requirements. The racks of equipment used in conjunction filled a room not to mention the mixing desk. The wire harnesses alone were a sight to behold.

Every time I play with Garage Band I never fail to get flash backs to the smell over heated equipment in the back of my brain somewhere ... that and the smell of endless chain smoking of everyone there at the time.

Did you catch Sound City? Great doc!

• Reply 19 of 99
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member

That looks like a terribly skeumorphic UI too!
  • Reply 20 of 99
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    So just to be clear...is Soundtrack Pro officially dead and does Logic Pro X have all the functionality of Soundtrack?