Rovio adds iOS-Android cross syncing for popular titles like Angry Birds

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Rovio, the maker of the now-ubiquitous Angry Birds series, has introduced a new cross-platform account that allows gamers to pick up where they left off, whether playing a title on Apple's iOS or Google's Android.

Rovio

The new Rovio Account is now available for free on both iOS and Android. The feature has been in testing for a few months, but is now open to all who play titles from the company.

At launch, Rovio Account is compatible with two titles: the original Angry Birds. and The Croods. The company has promised to continue rolling out Rovio Account to all of its other titles, including numerous entries in the Angry Birds franchise.

Players can sign up for an account by starting an Angry Birds game and pressing the account button, or tapping the "Register" button in The Croods. After registering for a Rovio Account, users will be sent a verification email. Users must be at least 13 years old.

Apple currently offers cross-platform support for titles with both its Game Center social service and iCloud syncing service. But those capabilities are restricted only to Apple devices.

The launch of Rovio Account paves the way for the developer to expand to even more platforms beyond iOS and Android. The Angry Birds franchise is also available on Mac, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Kindle, among others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Oh yes,

More people should start doing this, then you'll have a bunch of android guys come over to the iOS and continue were they left off :D
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Oh thank god! I'll sleep tonight now. /s
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

This is exactly why I like cloud based services.

I am constantly switching between the bathroom iPad, the Note tablet by the couch, and my phone, among other devices.

I can interrupt watching a movie or TV series on Netflix or Amazon Prime video on one device, and then later on when I pick up another device, the cloud knows where I stopped.   Even the bedroom flatscreen TV, which has Netflix built in, knows.

Ditto for composing an email.  I've sometimes started writing one on a phone, got distracted, then later picked up a tablet and there was the draft on GMail waiting to be finished.

• Reply 4 of 10
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

This is exactly why I like cloud based services.

I am constantly switching between the bathroom iPad, the Note tablet by the couch, and my phone, among other devices.

I can interrupt watching a movie or TV series on Netflix or Amazon Prime video on one device, and then later on when I pick up another device, the cloud knows where I stopped.   Even the bedroom flatscreen TV, which has Netflix built in, knows.

Ditto for composing an email.  I've sometimes started writing one on a phone, got distracted, then later picked up a tablet and there was the draft on GMail waiting to be finished.

You have a bathroom iPad and a couch tablet? Give some of that money to charity. 

• Reply 5 of 10
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I've sometimes started writing one on a phone, got distracted, then later picked up a tablet and there was the draft on GMail waiting to be finished.

I've had a similar situation.  I've started Facetiming on my phone, got distracted, then later picked up my bathroom iPad and finished the conversation.

• Reply 6 of 10
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

You have a bathroom iPad and a couch tablet? Give some of that money to charity. 

Thanks, I give plenty to charity :)

As for gizmos, I've been a full time mobile developer / contractor since the mid 1990s.  So I always have a lot of tablets and smartphones around, both personal and company owned.

However, as far as having multiple tablets, I'm not even that unusual.  Surveys say a lot of US families have multiple iPads and/or eBook readers.  It probably partly depends on how many family members are living in the home.

• Reply 7 of 10
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    mac-daddy wrote: »

hello. my name is charity.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I've had a similar situation.  I've started Facetiming on my phone, got distracted, then later picked up my bathroom iPad and finished the conversation.

Just make sure your adapter is not plugged in or you might get electrocuted! image

• Reply 9 of 10
    Sounds like iCloud on to android?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member

The service works great, but it unfortunately interferes with Game Center achievements if you are trying to share a session between iOS and Android.

For example, if I complete a world on Android, and the play on iOS, it shows the world completed, but the achievement (which does not exist on the Android version) does not appear in Game Center.  In order to get the achievement, I need to logout from my Rovio account (which reverts your progress to only that which was accomplished when not logged in) and replay the world in order to get the achievement.

Rovio should fix this.  Then the feature will be perfect.