'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" is likely to face production difficulties, which could limit its availability at launch. Such issues are not, however, expected with the company's anticipated plastic mid-range iPhone, which will reportedly be much easier to build.

Render

While the so-called "iPhone Lite" is on track for an early September debut, the "iPhone 5S" may take a little longer to become available, according to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities. Details on Apple's 2013 launch lineup were first shared with AppleInsider on Monday.

Kuo expects that any iPhone production difficulties faced by Apple this year will be similar to last year's launch of the iPhone 5. He expects that the "iPhone 5S" will see "limited" availability following its late September launch, with supply improving in either October or November.

As for the plastic "iPhone Lite," Kuo revealed that shipments will be below market expectations. But he expects the product could be available to launch sooner due to a less difficult manufacturing process.

He has predicted the device will be priced between $450 and $550 ? higher than most observers expect ? with a total of 26 million units to be shipped in 2013. That would be below market expectations of between 30 million and 40 million units.

Kuo views the "iPhone Lite" having "decent profitability, but at the cost of volume."

2013 Predictions
Apple's 2013 lineup, as predicted by Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities in January.

The launch lineup pegged by Kuo this week still largely aligns with the product release schedule he revealed back in January. The insider correctly predicted that Apple would have no major product launches, aside from a MacBook Air refresh, in the first half of 2013.

Fingerprint

The latest research note from Kuo made no mention of a fingerprint sensor in the "iPhone 5S," but the analyst has repeatedly asserted claims that Apple will include such functionality in this year's model. Specifically, he expects the technology to be embedded under the home button, allowing users to easily authenticate their identity for features such as password entry or even potential e-wallet functionality.

As for the "iPhone Lite," Kuo has portrayed the device as essentially an iPhone 5 with a plastic body. The new lower-end handset is expected to have the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5, but with a thicker frame. Such a move would allow Apple to potentially discontinue the iPhone 4S entirely, moving its full smartphone lineup to 4-inch displays and Lightning connectors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

He is pretty much saying Apple wont be making a low cost iphone, they will just put the 4s internals and the 5 into plastic shells and price them at 450 and 550. the good is this wont hurt margins at all, the bad is Apple still wont be able to address markets where a sub $400 unlock phone is needed.

Is it me or we are getting the same news twice?

• Reply 2 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yawn. I wish AI would stop reporting on this crap. This guy doesn't know jack. He's just throwing stuff at the wall figuring something will stick. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 3 of 89
    herbapou wrote: »
    He is pretty much saying Apple wont be making a low cost iphone, they will just put the 4s internals and the 5 into plastic shells and price them at 450 and 550.
    And he knows this how?
  • Reply 4 of 89
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And he knows this how?

i have no idea, but that guy is one of the most reliable out there. He must have inside information from somewhere.

I think he may be wrong on the prices, he just assumed that since its the ip4s and ip5 internals they are going to price them like the old iphone models. imo the whole point of moving into plastic is reducing the price also, so we may get 400 and 500 afterall. That being said,  something in the $300 to $350 range would be better for unlock markets and emerging markets.

• Reply 5 of 89
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yawn. I wish AI would stop reporting on this crap. This guy doesn't know jack. He's just throwing stuff at the wall figuring something will stick. :rolleyes:

I suggest you review his history. He has been very accurate in the past, he called every single product and launch timeframe last year. He is the only analyst I find worth reading

The question then becomes, if true, does Apple announce both at the same time? Or 2 events?
  • Reply 6 of 89
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Is it me or we are getting the same news twice?

Yeah it's weird we got this story yesterday too.

I doubt the iPhone Lite and the 5S would be released at separate times. 

• Reply 7 of 89
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    "Marginally cheaper, comes in colours." Is just not going to do anything.

If the "cheap" iPhone is anywhere near these price estimates, then it won't be cheap and it won't be successful. Six months after launch you can often get discounts on the new iPhone that put it in the same range as this "cheap" one.

They need to go for volume, and thus they need to actually go "cheap," as in free on contract and 200-300 off contract.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

"Chinese worker takes bathroom break. All Apple products delayed 3 months."

• Reply 9 of 89
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I suggest you review his history. He has been very accurate in the past, he called every single product and launch timeframe last year. He is the only analyst I find worth reading

The question then becomes, if true, does Apple announce both at the same time? Or 2 events?

I think it would be wise if they announced both at the same time and released both at the same time. It looks like according to Ming the iPhone Lite will be ready early September and the 5S will be ready late September. They could feasibly just push the launch of the cheap iPhone to match the launch of the 5S.

• Reply 10 of 89
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That sounds like crap. ;)

• Reply 11 of 89
    allenbf wrote: »

So? He throws stuff at the wall and some of it sticks. A lot of what he guessed last year were no brainers anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If the "cheap" iPhone is anywhere near these price estimates, then it won't be cheap and it won't be successful. Six months after launch you can often get discounts on the new iPhone that put it in the same range as this "cheap" one.

They need to go for volume, and thus they need to actually go "cheap," as in free on contract and 200-300 off contract.

Then why doesn't Apple just join up with Samsung? We don't buy Apple for cheap $hit and not one does. They will never make a $250 phone. They don't want to be king of crap. They "iPhone Lite" is to capture the mid-tier market. They won't aim for the bottom-tier and never should. They can ruin the name of the true iPhone if they are not careful on how they carry out the cheaper phone. A phone in the 400 range would be the best balance. I am interested to see if Apple keeps the 3.5 or goes to 4 on the cheap phone though. I suspect they will go to the 4'', even if it costs more.

• Reply 13 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I suggest you review his history. He has been very accurate in the past, he called every single product and launch timeframe last year.

Production issues is the new DigiTimes. They're always worthless.

Obviously there won't be two events for the PHONES…
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Wouldn't it make sense if Apple really just bought the finger scanning company to strengthen up it's labs and factories for top level employees not leaking shit? The new display doesn't show any signs of finger scanning modules or connectors present.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    rogifan wrote: »
    So? He throws stuff at the wall and some of it sticks. A lot of what he guessed last year were no brainers anyway.

...more accurately than any other.

I agree most of them spout BS. This guy I trust more than others. Either way, looks like my family will be purchasing 2 of the "lite" phones if true. My wife & daughter don't care about fingerprint anything.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    Production issues is the new DigiTimes. They're always worthless.
    Obviously there won't be two events for the PHONES…

Agree on both. But we will see if his accuracy continues.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    gazoobee wrote: »

Seems to me these analysts are just looking at the current off contract price of the 4/4S and attaching that to this "low cost" phone. Honestly I don't think any of them have a clue what Apple is planning to do. Why would Apple make the phone plastic if the thought wasn't high volume and a lower cost. If the plastic phone is going to be the same price as current 4/4S unlocked what's the point of going plastic?
  • Reply 18 of 89
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Wouldn't it make sense if Apple really just bought the finger scanning company to strengthen up it's labs and factories for top level employees not leaking shit? The new display doesn't show any signs of finger scanning modules or connectors present.

They did.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

That sounds like crap. ;)

Which can backfire
  • Reply 20 of 89
    seankill wrote: »
    Then why doesn't Apple just join up with Samsung? We don't buy Apple for cheap $hit and not one does. They will never make a $250 phone. They don't want to be king of crap. They "iPhone Lite" is to capture the mid-tier market. They won't aim for the bottom-tier and never should. They can ruin the name of the true iPhone if they are not careful on how they carry out the cheaper phone. A phone in the 400 range would be the best balance. I am interested to see if Apple keeps the 3.5 or goes to 4 on the cheap phone though. I suspect they will go to the 4'', even if it costs more.
    To me colored plastic is going cheap, even if they don't price it cheap. If they're going for a certain market (emerging) or demographic (young people) $450-$550 seems pretty expensive.