Google to take on Apple TV with $35 Chromecast streaming device for iOS & Android

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Google continued its push into hardware manufacturing on Tuesday by announcing Chromecast, a new streaming device that will go head-to-head with the Apple TV set-top box for just over a third of its price.

Alongside the refreshed Nexus 7 revealed today, Google also showed off the Chromecast, a diminutive streaming attachment that plugs into the HDMI port on a television. Using the Chromecast, users can stream and queue material from Android and iOS devices, Chrome OS devices like the Chromebook Pixel, and OS X and Windows PCs with Google's Chrome browser installed.

The Chromecast device itself interfaces with interoperable services directly, enabling users to continue using their devices even as content streams. It works with music content and videos from YouTube, as well as with apps like Netflix, both on iOS and Android.

During the presentation of the new device, Google executives showed it picking up streaming content from both an Android and iOS phone, continuing a user's YouTube experience with just the press of a button. Users will find that the YouTube, Google Play Music, and Netflix apps on iOS and Android will now integrate a "Cast" button, which will tell the device to push video or audio content to a ChromeCast device on the same network.

Multiple users with compatible apps installed on their mobile devices and traditional computers can also collaborate to queue content and share to the same television.

Showing off the device, Google execs repeatedly made thinly veiled references to Apple's "beloved hobby" the Apple TV set-top box.

"Unlike other solutions," one said in the course of the presentation, "we will not force you to have the same operating system on all your devices."

The Chromecast device runs a simplified version of Chrome OS, and Google is working to provide the tools to developers that would allow them to have content from their apps displayed via Chromecast or through a Chrome browser interacting with a Chromecast device.

Chromecast went on sale shortly after it was announced on Wednesday. It is currently available at Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, and Google's online Play Store. On July 28, the device will be available in Best Buy's physical retail locations.

Google has taken a particularly aggressive stance with regard to the device's pricing. At $35, it is just over one-third of the price of an Apple TV device. Apple's diminutive set-top box is by far the most popular among streaming devices according to one recent measure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "But how are they taking on Apple if they don't release a television?"

And what does this product say about Google's earlier TV options? Are they admitting that they're terrible?
  • Reply 2 of 226
    Do cheap again ? Even u get 80 % of the market share , still u can't earn more than Apple .
  • Reply 3 of 226
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    I bought mine. You get three months of free Netflix too.
  • Reply 4 of 226
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    DOA Google is doomed !
  • Reply 5 of 226
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

They tried this years ago and failed. In fact, there was also the Nexus Q, etc. etc. etc.

Remember Eric Schmidt saying the Google TV would have the market sewn up in 6 months?

• Reply 6 of 226
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This is actually one of the few hardware products that Google has come up with that interests me. Chromecast makes sense and may be marginally successful IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 226
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Do cheap again ? Even u get 80 % of the market share , still u can't earn more than Apple .

I have to admit I don't entirely understand why many Apple customers make a virtue of the company having high profits. I mean: I like my iPad, but I would like it even better if I hadn't paid a considerable portion of its price directly into Apple's enormous pile of cash. 

Maybe all the people who feel this way are investors, which is a different and more obvious story. But why ordinary customers?

• Reply 8 of 226
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    This is actually one of the few hardware products that Google has come up with that interests me. Chromecast makes sense and may be marginally successful IMO.

Seeing as the #1 reason people buy an Apple TV is for Airplay (there's a source for that -- came out in the past 2 months), I think that Chromecast will be very popular -- especially if they sell it side-by-side in-store with the Nexus's. It's a neat little device that I would buy if I had an Android device; but I think the biggest difficulty in this selling will really be the amount of products sold that support it. Giving an SDK that supports iOS is going to make it a lot more popular if developers start integrating it into their apps like they do sending links to Chrome, but that's not a given.

Bottom line though, it's a smart product that's simple, useful, and reasonably priced.

P.S. does anyone know if it has an embedded wireless card and is doing this via an ad-hoc connection, or is it Wi-DI or Bluetooth? Can you be connected to the internet and still stream, and if so does the dongle have to be hooked onto the same wifi network?
  • Reply 9 of 226
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I ordered one. After Netflix credit, it's $20. This will fit nicely with Aereo and cutting the cord.
  • Reply 10 of 226
    This is a great bit of hardware. Anyone that actually bothered to do their research into what this is and what it can do will more than likely agree.
  • Reply 11 of 226
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Very nice idea indeed. They are spot on with Apple being close down on features like airplay, facetime, messaging, ...  Those types of apps should always be crossplatforms. I also think Apple should open itunes on android and windows phones and tablets, unless they are scare people are retain by there investment in itunes music, movies and shows?

Its basicly an android airplay box.  What is funny is most TV sets already allowed to "cast" something from a lot of android phones and tablets. Problem is a lot of people with android devices dont know they can do that.

On the other hand, I think the next Apple TV will include gaming and apps, so it will be a different beast than this.

• Reply 12 of 226
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    lakings33 wrote: »
    This is a great bit of hardware. Anyone that actually bothered to do their research into what this is and what it can do will more than likely agree.

Some won't, because it doesn't have an Apple logo. I'm practical. I can outfit all 4 tvs in my home for a little more than the cost of one Apple TV.

I am ditching my cable this fall, planned on 3 more apple tvs or maybe some roku. This changes everything.
  • Reply 13 of 226
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I have to admit I don't entirely understand why many Apple customers make a virtue of the company having high profits. I mean: I like my iPad, but I would like it even better if I hadn't paid a considerable portion of its price directly into Apple's enormous pile of cash. 

Maybe all the people who feel this way are investors, which is a different and more obvious story. But why ordinary customers?

Profits fuel innovation in Cupertino.  They enable Apple to take huge risks and come up with great, revolutionary products as opposed to cheap derivatives of others' work.  Whenever Tim Cook comes on a stage to show us the next big thing, it will be born out of that considerable portion of profit from your iPad.

• Reply 14 of 226
    This device looks better than AppleTV for the simple reason that it works with both iOS and Android devices, whereas AppleTV only works on iOS devices. It seems that it would be nice if friends were able to stream stuff to your TV regardless of whether they coincidentally happened to have the same brand of device as you.

I wonder if it can stream from Mac/Windows computers?
  • Reply 15 of 226
    arlor wrote: »

Who says the vocal forums members here represent "ordinary customers"?
    Ordinary customers just buy their Apple products and iTunes content and are happy using it. They don't hang out here beating their chests.
  • Reply 16 of 226
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

"Unlike other solutions," one said in the course of the presentation, "we will not force you to have the same operating system on all your devices."

That's dishonest because that's exactly what they're doing.  This thing only works with Apps that have integrated Chrome into them to support it.

AppleTV is not a dongle that lets you connect to the TV, it's a small computer itself. 

Typical google, I guess they think being disingenuous isn't "evil". 

• Reply 17 of 226
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

$20 bucks after a 3 free month Netflix credit is an amazing deal. Personally I prefer my PS3 and the ability to just sit on the sofa and switch from regular TV to Netflix without an added layer of complexity by using my computer or phone to stream the content. But I can see this product selling very well. Great impulse buy and gift option. 

• Reply 18 of 226
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

P.S. does anyone know if it has an embedded wireless card and is doing this via an ad-hoc connection, or is it Wi-DI or Bluetooth? Can you be connected to the internet and still stream, and if so does the dongle have to be hooked onto the same wifi network?

From my understanding the dongle has an embedded WiFi card and communication happens over your home WiFI.  One of the examples given was that you can tell your phone/tablet to stream Netflix to your TV and Netflix will stream straight to the Chromecast in order to save battery life on your mobile device and leaving your mobile device to do other things if needed.

• Reply 19 of 226
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) Chrome? Looks black to me.

2) Another attempt, ok. Hardly innovative; Apple has AirPlay for quite some time now.

3) Fitting:
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/28795/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

http://chromecast.com

4) And then reading this, I think it's one large pathetic spec sheet they ticked off:
    http://lostremote.com/google-connects-all-your-homes-devices-to-tv-with-35-chromecast_b38287

I'm sure it's successful, specifically for those that think this is 'cool' and even useful.
  • Reply 20 of 226
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Funny thing is I dont think they are all investors, they just like getting rip off :p  That being said I dont like tech race to bottoms on no margins, imo companies should be allowed a decent profit for R&D and rewards for there work.