Google Drive iOS app updated with clickable Web links, new spreadsheet functions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday pushed out a minor update to its cloud-connected Google Drive iOS app, bringing hooks to the mobile versions of Safari and Chrome, as well as a new way to insert columns and rows into spreadsheets.

Google Drive

The latest iteration of Google Drive brings the iOS app up to version 1.5.0, though the point update is light on major changes, focusing more on user interface and accessibility tweaks.

Along with the usual bug fixes, the app brings two additions to the table with the ability to click on links within documents to open either Apple's Safari or Google's Chrome Web browser. The functionality is already available in other cloud syncing apps, but Google Drive never supported the feature until now.

With the latest update, users of Google's Drive service now have an easier way to insert rows and columns into spreadsheet documents on iOS. A new "+" button in Google Sheets offers an alternative to navigating the menu bar for the basic function.

The update comes one week following Apple's expansion of the iWork for iCloud beta, Cupertino's answer to online productivity tools like Google Drive. While Apple's suite is on par with Google's offering, the service lacks the ability to collaborate effectively with other users in real time.

Google Drive is a 30.3MB free download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ...though the point update is light on major changes, focusing more on user interface and accessibility tweaks.

Looking at the left pic...LMFAO
  • Reply 2 of 5
    There is something I hate about this app: when I try to upload a video that last more than 1 minute it won't do it. You select the video, it says it's uploading, you go away from the iDevice, you caome back and it losses the percentage and it start over.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Makes me appreciate iOS Numbers!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

Hi my dear friend

I welcome love into my heart with all my desire.

I am responsible and purposeful lady who enjoy different activities.

The world is alive in a whole new way to me today and forever because I am happy thinking of him and dreaming of us. http://lillian.net.ua

With love comes patience, but it's worth the wait for to share my wonderful feelings with my beloved man.

I dream to meet open, loving, outgoing, considerate to everyone, caring, romantic man.

I would love to hear from you

Deanna

• Reply 5 of 5
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Makes me appreciate iOS Numbers!

For some reason, I don't think Google knows what they are doing with regards to their OS and apps. Very dysfunctional.  4.3 just got announced so everyone with a 4.2.2 or earlier non-Nexus Android phone now has to wait another 6 months or so until the get this update.  That is if the mfg wants to update each particular model.

Major fail. Oh well.  I wonder what their new Moto X product will ship with, if it's a non-Nexus phone, then it will have the same issue.