Betas of iTunes 11.1 with iTunes Radio, Apple TV 5.4 with bug fixes now available [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In addition to the fourth beta of iOS 7, Apple also provided developers with new pre-release versions of iTunes 11.1, featuring iTunes Radio support, and Apple TV 5.4, with a number of bug fixes.

People familiar with "Apple TV 5.4 Seed 3" said it fixes a number of issues, including problems that would cause tracks to skip or music to fail to start over AirPlay. An issue with iTunes Radio that could cause the Apple TV to crash, and a bug that would cause audio volume to increase dramatically during AirPlay use have also been fixed.

Apple notified developers that they can now use an iOS 7 device to set up an Apple TV after restoring or resetting all settings. This ability is not available on an iPhone 4 or iPad 2.

The release notes accompanying the third beta of Apple TV 5.4 reportedly do not include any known issues with the pre-release software.

As for iTunes 11.1 beta 1, the minor update includes support for Apple's new iTunes Radio service. Previously, developers were only able to test this function on a device running iOS 7.

iTunes Radio is set to launch this fall, offering free ad-supported streaming in a fashion similar to Pandora.

Update: Subsequent testing from German blog Schimanke.com reportedly shows the latest Apple TV 5.4 beta brings back music purchasing capabilities via iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wonder if we're getting some juicy finds from the AppleTV 5.4 software update.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Here's hoping they surprise us this fall with some more Apple TV news....

There's really no need to upgrade the ATV to another iteration until they change something with the software or increase it's capability. The A5 is more than enough. Although I'm sure some want wireless ac.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Well, we know there is going to be a new Apple TV at some point. You are going to need one capable of 4K for that extra MacPro desktop. ;)

Short of that... Where is the AppStore support? Seeing what people can create will be awesome, but the initial sizzle will be content providers making apps to enable the platform.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Take it out of Beta!

Gimme, gimme, gimme...

• Reply 5 of 38

Will apple ever make an app store for the apple TV & let us download our own?

• Reply 6 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Every time this comes up, I keep asking why you need one. No one ever has an answer worth the bytes needed to host it. "Well, native apps." That's not an answer. And good luck controlling them with a D-pad and one button. "Well, new touchscreen remote." It's called every iDevice on the market right now, which then goes back to the original question of why you wouldn't just use the apps already on said device.

So why do you need one? AirPlay lets you have the entire App Store on your Apple TV already. There aren't any "apps" that make sense to put on Apple TV alone that won't be available from Apple as Channels eventually.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple_Fan_Boy View Post

This doesnt means they wont come up with something like an Apple TV app store or major changes.  If they do they wont spoil it in advance with beta software.

• Reply 8 of 38
    If your using a ipad to AirPlay the don't cover the whole screen. Apple needs to think of more ways to out do others
  • Reply 9 of 38
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Every time this comes up, I keep asking why you need one. No one ever has an answer worth the bytes needed to host it. "Well, native apps." That's not an answer. And good luck controlling them with a D-pad and one button. "Well, new touchscreen remote." It's called every iDevice on the market right now, which then goes back to the original question of why you wouldn't just use the apps already on said device.

So why do you need one? AirPlay lets you have the entire App Store on your Apple TV already. There aren't any "apps" that make sense to put on Apple TV alone that won't be available from Apple as Channels eventually.

I don't know whether it would require an app store but there are a couple of wants that could be met with independent apps.

1. I would like to be be able to play videos directly from my NAS.  Even my Samsung TV can do that. 

2.  Access other on line video content.  Many TV stations already will stream content to computers

Airplay doesn't work well for either of those.

• Reply 10 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple_Fan_Boy View Post

If your using a ipad to AirPlay the don't cover the whole screen. Apple needs to think of more ways to out do others

imo the Apple TV app store will feed on iphone apps, not ipad apps.  But even on ipads, video will resize to 16:9 once you hit play. For mirroring ipad apps it sucks indeed.

A lot of games will glitch over airplay too. I see many reasons to open a native app store. Especially with the game controller API Apple introduce at WWDC. Also, openning the app store will allow to install HTPC style apps without jailbreak. Those apps will allow to stream from network drives like timecapsuled. Major improvement imo.

What I would like to see is new hardware with an A5X and 16/32/64/128 SSD options.  With this and an App store Apple would enter the game console market for starters. imo a $49 game controller would do a better job at controlling everthing then the actual remote.

• Reply 11 of 38
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Why couldn't I get an "App" that was nothing more than a year subscription to Comedy Central, or SciFy, Discovery or other TV channel for $10? I will gladly drop $150-200 on the channels I actually want; and drop my Comcast/Dishnetwork bill like a bad habit.
  • Reply 12 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

The A5 is more than enough. Although I'm sure some want wireless ac.

The A5 in the Apple TV are rejects with only one core activated. Would be a big step just to upgrate to real A5X, which would be enough for 1080p and gaming. But if they really enter gaming I hope they make one model with the A6X which would almost be at game console level so it would be enough power to run high end games at 1080p.

Also, if Apple gets serious on gaming in the Apple TV, the big players will start porting the high end stuff, which will also help the iphone, ipod touch and ipad offering. There iOS games are flood with Angry Bird style games, we need more stuff based on unreal engine. So far we have a few sports game, dungeon defenders and infinite blade, so we basicly have no high end stuff on iOS.

• Reply 13 of 38
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member

Being able to stream from Amazon Prime would be a nice addition for me.
  • Reply 14 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

1. I would like to be be able to play videos directly from my NAS.  Even my Samsung TV can do that. 

Apple is getting a lot behind on the TV side indeed. I wish they would take that market seriously, they could do some many things.

• Reply 15 of 38

Because there are times that I want the Apple TV to be independent of my phone or iPad. There are times I just don't want to tether my phone to the device.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    tjwal wrote: »
    1. I would like to be be able to play videos directly from my NAS.

A million times this.
    2.  Access other on line video content.  Many TV stations already will stream content to computers. Airplay doesn't work well for either of those.

How so? It's just like any other feature of outputting OS X or iOS to your TV.
    isteelers wrote: »
    Being able to stream from Amazon Prime would be a nice addition for me.

And there you go: eventually there will be a dedicated option for that, because it's video content. It'll have an interface like the options available now. And if the iOS app doesn't AirPlay now, that's Amazon's choosing.
    ripe apple wrote: »
    Because there are times that I want the Apple TV to be independent of my phone or iPad. There are times I just don't want to tether my phone to the device.

Well, sure! That's something Apple TV has over its competitors already. Like I said, we'll soon see a large proportion of online video services available through Apple TV, continuing to push sales. And if the NFL ever gets their pigskin out of their helmets, I see another, even larger push.

BUT, Apple should be concentrating on signing their own deals with the content creators rather than giving users completely useless software on the Apple TV that requires a subscription from cable or satellite. :\
  • Reply 17 of 38
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

You could do much more robust action games (higher FPS, resolution, etc.) that had an iDevice component and an AppleTV component. AirPlay (or whatever) would just need to exchange location coordinates and status [changes] between the two devices -- rather than exchange the entire shitscreenload of data. You could have some fantastic multiplayer games. The ATV app component could be stored in your iTunes Library and cross-loaded when desired.

Other uses for native app components on the ATV include presos containing graphics, animation, etc. Very useful for business , medical, military, education...

Try that on your ChromeChaste!
  • Reply 18 of 38
    You could do much more robust action games (higher FPS, resolution, etc.) that had an iDevice component and an AppleTV component. AirPlay (or whatever) would just need to exchange location coordinates and status [changes] between the two devices -- rather than exchange the entire shitscreenload of data. You could have some fantastic multiplayer games. The ATV app component could be stored in your iTunes Library and cross-loaded when desires.

Is time lost due to data transmission an issue anymore with 802.11ac? You'd know better than I.
    Other uses for native app components on the ATV include presos containing graphics, animation, etc. Very useful for business , medical, military, education…

Aha! A standalone Keynote player for Apple TV! Have it pull down your account's Keynote presentations that you've stored in iCloud! Very nice!
  • Reply 19 of 38

About streaming form a network drive to Apple TV without a computer in the loop:

MoliPlayer HD says it can stream directly from a NAS. If it supports airplay then its possible we have solution to stream from NAS into the Apple TV using airplay. ITs free so I will test it.

FileBrowserLite is worth a shot too.  It says it will play a mp4/m4v file from timecapsuled. If the video is compatible with the ipad, it should worked. UPDATE : IT WORKS. was able to connect to TimeCapsuled and Airplay a .m4v file.  Use a blank username and the wifi password to connect. You will need to buy the full version to really used it, the lite is for evaluation.

Buzz Player would access a FTP NAS (not supported by time capsuled) and play pretty much any video format using the ipad to convert on the fly. I guess that it will  glitch if you add airplay to Apple TV on top of it. to be tested if you have a NAS that support FTP, I dont.

• Reply 20 of 38
    uberbenuberben Posts: 62member
    "tallest skil 2013/07/29 02:40pm
    Quote:
    "Originally Posted by Apple_Fan_Boy

Will apple ever make an app store for the apple TV & let us download our own?"

So why do you need one? AirPlay lets you have the entire App Store on your Apple TV already. There aren't any "apps" that make sense to put on Apple TV alone that won't be available from Apple as Channels eventually."

battery life of my iPhone or iPad, imagine the Apple TV with the new Bluetooth Controller API's (maybe they'll have to add Bluetooth to the next iteration), it's now a console capable of playing some of the funniest games around, that's gotta be an interesting draw.