Networking a Mac and a PC

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How would I go about networking my Mac and my PC so I can share files and use the PC for storage? Any ideas?

emac 800, jaguar

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: cecilb.demented ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I am using an airport to connect a couple macs and a WinXP box (has a 802.11b PCI card).

It works great once you get all the "properties" set in windows so you can access all the files/folders you want.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    its actually fairly easy. I have everything over DHCP through this dumb linksys router I got from my old office that closed down (yes another dot.gone) Anyways I use windows XP pro, you go to network properties and add "File And Print Sharing" , then go to a folder you want to share, and you can just right click on it and go to sharing, then go it'll come up with a box to give it a name, Don't put anything important in it and just say for Everyone. Then on your mac just go to "GO" then to connect to server, then it'll search around. You might want to make sure your user account on your windoze machine has a password so when the dialog comes up you can make sure that only can get on. I THINK thats everything. heh
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>Assuming you are using OS X...

I can't take credit for this. I clipped it from another message board but it was very helpful. This tells how to setup sharing in both directions.

-------------------------

-On PC and Mac, make sure the workgroup names are the same.

On PC, this means Start-&gt;MyComputer-&gt;Rightclcik-&gt;Properties-&gt;Computer Name-&gt; press Change. Should be Workgroup as the workgroupname.

On Mac, Applications:Utilities launch Directory Access, click lock and enter password to admin, then click smb and configure. Make sure name is the same workgroup name as on PC.

-On Mac, System preferences:Sharing Tab. Click on Windows File Sharing

-On PC: Make sure you have atleast one folder shared.

-To mount PC share on the Mac:Go menu, Connect to Server. If the PC shows up great, just click it. If not, enter the IP as smb://IP_Adress/sharename. Enter userid and password and you are set

-To mount Mac shares on the PC:Start-&gt;My Network Places, Click Add Network Place. Click Next a few times, till you see a Browse button, click browse, expand Entire Network object until you see the Mac name there.

Both the Mac and the PC have to have folders shared inorder to share.

If either computer can't 'see' the other:

-check cables

-check workgroup names

-ensure folders are shared

-pick up XP box and heave it out the Window.</strong><hr></blockquote>