Part leak suggests Apple's low-cost iPhone will have same 8MP camera as iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's anticipated low-cost iPhone is expected to be essentially an iPhone 5 with a plastic back, right down to the same 8-megapixel rear camera, if a newly leaked part proves accurate.

Camera

A supposed "iPhone Lite" or "iPhone 5C" rear camera was published on Thursday on Chinese site IT168, and highlighted by MacRumors. The part is claimed to be a camera module for Apple's anticipated low-cost iPhone.

The original report claims that the part is the same 8-megapixel lens already found in Apple's iPhone 5, and even features the same sapphire crystal scratch-resistant cover.

Previously, it was also claimed that the "iPhone Lite" will feature the same A6 processor and 1 gigabyte of RAM as the existing iPhone 5. With largely the same internals, the exterior rear shell of the device is expected to be plastic, and come in a variety of colors.

Apple's alleged production schedule for the low-cost iPhone is expected to have the device ready for launch as soon as early September, according to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities. He expects that the device will cost about the same as the current iPhone 4S, between $450 and $550, and will be easy for Apple to manufacture, as it will recycle many parts from the iPhone 5.

The same was not said by Kuo of the so-called "iPhone 5S," which the analyst expects will be in short supply when it launches this fall. In particular, Apple's next-generation iPhone is rumored to feature a fingerprint sensor beneath the home button for securely identifying users.

As for the camera on the "iPhone 5S," one rumor from earlier this year claimed Apple would bump the internal sensor up to 12 megapixels. It's also been said that the camera will take better nighttime photos with improved sensitivity, while dual LED flash is expected to improve illumination capabilities in low-light situations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

Wow! Is the "low cost" iPhone just going to be an iPhone 5 with a smaller screen and plastic back?

If so, I'm there. A white less expensive iPhone running iOS7 with a Walmart plan, (F Sprint, Verizon & ATT). And it passes the Jeans test! :)

• Reply 2 of 25
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wow! Is the "low cost" iPhone just going to be an iPhone 5 with a smaller screen and plastic back?

If so, I'm there. A white less expensive iPhone running iOS7 with a Walmart plan, (F Sprint, Verizon & ATT). And it passes the Jeans test! :)

Smaller screen? Not one rumor I have seen suggested it would have anything other than the same 4" screen as the iPhone 5. It seems it will be essentially an iPhone 5 in plastic while the iPhone 5S will have improvements to the camera, CPU/GPU, fingerprint and possibly more in addition to being made from more premium materials. 

• Reply 3 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Smaller screen? Not one rumor I have seen suggested it would have anything other than the same 4" screen as the iPhone 5. It seems it will be essentially an iPhone 5 in plastic while the iPhone 5S will have improvements to the camera, CPU/GPU, fingerprint and possibly more in addition to being made from more premium materials. 

Hmmm...for some reason I was thinking the screen would be the size of the 4s. I could be wrong though. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the iP5. I couldn't believe how light it is compared to my 4s. Bought a white 5 for my daughter.

Best

• Reply 4 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I can't see then making it more expensive than the 4 is now. That would lose about 20% of the market.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mir808mir808 Posts: 12member
    So iPhone lite is basically iPhone 5 inside plastic body. Great!!! This could give Android manufacturers a tough competition. Well done apple.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    mir808 wrote: »
    So iPhone lite is basically iPhone 5 inside plastic body. Great!!! This could give Android manufacturers a tough competition. Well done apple.
    Actually, it might. Many people buy Android because it's cheaper and "almost as good" as an iPhone. Now there's a cheaper iPhone that IS as good as an iPhone. Meanwhile, the Android-killer premiere iPhone gets even better. Could work.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    jamesvjamesv Posts: 33member
    I find it kind of odd that the 2012 iPhone (iPhone 5) will have a new look for 2013 (iPhone 5C) while the 2013 iPhone (iPhone 5S) will have the same look as the 2012 iPhone. If all the so called 5S will have is a little better camera & fingerprint sensor I'm gonna be all in for the 5C (black if its offered) or the blue model if not. Hopefully these colored iPhones will have a black face, so far the leaks show a black apple on the back so I'm thinking they will.....except for the white possibly.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    If the rumors hold true regarding the 5C & 5S, the 5C will smoke the 5S in sales and I'll return to this forum to say I told you all so! (C stands for CASH $$$$)
  • Reply 9 of 25
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Every year there are announcements of a low cost iPhone. Every year the low cost iPhone is the previous generation iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Every year there are announcements of a low cost iPhone. Every year the low cost iPhone is the previous generation iPhone.

No and no.

It's 100% certain there will be a cheap iPhone and there is 99% certainty it will be called the iPhone c.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    asdasd wrote: »
    No and no.

It's 100% certain there will be a cheap iPhone and there is 99% certainty it will be called the iPhone c.

With which statement do you disagree and with what, specifically do you disagree? Are you suggesting that there have never been rumors of a low cost iPhone? Are you suggesting that the rumored low cost iPhone wasn't, in fact, just the previous generation iPhone?

Is that 100% more certain than the tear drop design iPhone which was 100% certain?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

I find it kind of odd that the 2012 iPhone (iPhone 5) will have a new look for 2013 (iPhone 5C) while the 2013 iPhone (iPhone 5S) will have the same look as the 2012 iPhone. If all the so called 5S will have is a little better camera & fingerprint sensor I'm gonna be all in for the 5C (black if its offered) or the blue model if not. Hopefully these colored iPhones will have a black face, so far the leaks show a black apple on the back so I'm thinking they will.....except for the white possibly.

The iPhone 5C will likely only be available in a single storage capacity (16 GB) which is something to consider.

The iPhone 5S will have more than "just" a larger camera sensor and a fingerprint sensor. It's already leaked that it will have two-tone flash and possibly multiple optical sensors for better colour accuracy. New generation processors will provide better computing power and reworked internals fit a larger capacity battery. For users coming from the iPhone 4S it will also means an increase in screen size, reduction in overall weight and access to LTE.

beware underestimating the value of the fingerprint sensor though. I predict this will be a springboard for a whole list of new services. One finger access to a password keychain, secure payment services at retail stores and a simple way to implement guest or multiple user accounts all come to mind.

• Reply 13 of 25
    Great post Dunks, and I agree that the 5S will be the more advanced device, but not that much more advanced, the 5 has LTE, the larger screen, and a healthy processor as well, not to mention a new look if the rumors hold true. The 5C will go down as the best selling iPhone of all time when it's said and done for 2013, the 5S if true will just be a little better as the 4S was to the 4 and the 5 to the 4S......2014 the high end model will be the one that seperates the iPhone from the rest of the pack once again. 5C will steal the show in '13 mark my words!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    With which statement do you disagree and with what, specifically do you disagree? Are you suggesting that there have never been rumors of a low cost iPhone? Are you suggesting that the rumored low cost iPhone wasn't, in fact, just the previous generation iPhone?

Is that 100% more certain than the tear drop design iPhone which was 100% certain?

There was one bloody article on the teardrop phone. This release of components is similar to the release of components for the iPad mini last year, which was denied until the release date by the Apple doesn't do cheap iPads cabal.

And no there were no significant rumours of cheap iPhones before this year. Nothing of this level of intensity.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    dunks wrote: »
    The iPhone 5C will likely only be available in a single storage capacity (16 GB) which is something to consider.

The iPhone 5S will have more than "just" a larger camera sensor and a fingerprint sensor. It's already leaked that it will have two-tone flash and possibly multiple optical sensors for better colour accuracy. New generation processors will provide better computing power and reworked internals fit a larger capacity battery. <span style="line-height:1.231;">For users coming from the iPhone 4S it will also means an increase in screen size, reduction in overall weight and access to LTE.</span>

beware underestimating the value of the fingerprint sensor though. I predict this will be a springboard for a whole list of new services. One finger access to a password keychain, secure payment services at retail stores and a simple way to implement guest or multiple user accounts all come to mind.

If people can train different fingers to do stuff yeah it could be a game changer. Also they may have NFC.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    A white less expensive iPhone…

I just don't get it.
    asdasd wrote: »

No, and no. :no:
  • Reply 17 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just don't get it.

No, and no. image

Yes and yes!

• Reply 18 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    1983 wrote: »
    Yes and yes!

No. And. No. I'm refuting his certainty, not the premise.
  • Reply 19 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Hmmm...for some reason I was thinking the screen would be the size of the 4s. I could be wrong though. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the iP5. I couldn't believe how light it is compared to my 4s. Bought a white 5 for my daughter.

Best

Since Jobs came back to Apple they stopped crippling products to hit a price point or market segment. Expect the stakes to be advanced year over year. 

The next premium iPhone will include at least one significant advancement, maybe more. My guess; it will know whether you are really you by your biometric presence. 

• Reply 20 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

If people can train different fingers to do stuff yeah it could be a game changer. Also they may have NFC.

I'm not seeing NFC in the near future on iPhones. The standards still don''t exist and the security is still questionable. Besides, adding NFC would tend to make the Android platform seem ahead of Apple in this respect and that would be misleading.