South Korean government expresses concern over Obama's veto in Apple-Samsung patent dispute

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As Samsung has lost over a billion dollars in market value, the South Korean government has shown concern that the company's patent rights may be negatively affected following a presidential veto in its U.S.-based intellectual property dispute with Apple.

South Korea

The government issued a statement on Monday saying it hopes to see a "fair and reasonable decision" in Samsung's ongoing patent dispute with Apple, according to The Wall Street Journal. South Korea's government plans to closely watch what transpires next, as the U.S. International Trade Commission is scheduled to decide this week whether to ban imports of certain Samsung products to America.

The intervention of President Barack Obama's administration and subsequent comments from South Korea may signal that the patent dispute between Apple and Samsung could become an international political issue.

The two countries entered into the U.S.-Korea Trade Agreement last March, promising "countless new opportunities for U.S. exporters to sell more Made-in-America goods, services and agricultural products to Korean customers." The U.S. government characterized the deal as the most commercially significant free trade agreement in nearly 20 years, adding up to $12 billion to the annual U.S. Gross Domestic Product by making almost 80 percent of U.S. exports to Korea duty free.

Experts have said that the Obama administration needs to be careful and not give the impression that it is favoring Apple, an American company, over its rival Samsung, from South Korea.

The intervention is also expected to have ripple effects in the larger patent litigation landscape. Maynard Um of Wells Fargo said earlier Monday that he expects the ITC to become less of a venue for companies to gain leverage in patent disputes, seeking a relatively quick injunction blocking sales of competing products.

The ITC has originally ruled in June that shipments of Apple's older iPhone 4 model, compatible with the AT&T network, would be halted because of alleged patent infringement. But the Obama administration intervened on Saturday, and vetoed the ban.

The administration said the veto was used because of concerns about standards-essential patents being used to gain "undue leverage." The ban would have also affected some cellular-capable versions of Apple's iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102

Did they express concern in 1987 when President Reagan vetoed an ITC decision that blocked the sale of Samsung products thereby allowing Samsung to continue to sell its products?

• Reply 2 of 102
    I am amazed at how "slimy" Samsung really is. The veto was absolutely the correct choice.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    South korean government should worry about Samsung destroyinng all credibility, and reputation for any thing that is related to south korea .
    Samsungs lowlife ways is like a dark cloud over anything Korean. in. Big way!
  • Reply 4 of 102
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Experts have said that the Obama administration needs to be careful and not give the impression that it is favoring Apple, an American company, over its rival Samsung, from South Korea."

No [B]experts[/B] are saying this. Anywhere.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Now they are trying to make it what it is not.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    South Korea can concentrate on copying Japanese cars to flood the US market instead now.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    nkalu wrote: »
    Now they are trying to make it what it is not.

They are displaying an unprecedented level of scurrilous behavior.

Time for Apple to start building up its own manufacturing and robotic assembly OUTSIDE the reach of the grabbers and looters.
  • Reply 8 of 102

How much do you want to bet that Samsung pressured their government to make a statement.  Remember, Samsung is like 15% of the GDP there in korea.

• Reply 9 of 102
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

The South Korean government should investigate better before going to the press.

• Reply 10 of 102
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Experts have said that the Obama administration needs to be careful and not give the impression that it is favoring Apple, an American company, over its rival Samsung, from South Korea."

No experts are saying this. Anywhere.

Indeed, its pretty clear they did it to avoid getting bans over FRANDS.  And I dont like the way Samsung is trying to get patents compensation over chips that are made by a company that is suppose to have paid them already.

imo Samsung is just trying to counter sue Apple with anything they can. I really hate Samsung with a passion and will never buy anything they make ever again.

• Reply 11 of 102
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

How much do you want to bet that Samsung pressured their government to make a statement. 

No pressure needed. A quick email and the South Korean government will fall into line.

• Reply 12 of 102
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

FRAND licensing was fine with Samsung... until an innovator came along and disrupted the market.

Pity.

• Reply 13 of 102
    My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

And, I am absolutely sure I'm not the first or only one out there.
  • Reply 14 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

Nope I am one of them too. Never owned a Samsung product, never will especially after seeing there shady colors.

Another Question, did Samsung actually use there influence to get the Korean government to voice there feeling to get some political backing ?

I don't quite see, why the Korean Government would get involved in this otherwise. Prolly a few Bucks paid to the government and they try putting some political pressure :)

• Reply 15 of 102
    disturbia wrote: »

More and more of us every day.

Apple must protect their interests and start the process of building up their own manufacturing.
  • Reply 16 of 102

South Korea trying to influence the upcoming ITC decision this Friday where Samsung faces a ban. The shills will be raging if Samsung products get banned. Never mind that none of Apple's patents in this case are SEP's or anything like that. They'll overlook that completely and claim foul.

• Reply 17 of 102
    The government issued a statement on Monday saying it hopes to see a "fair and reasonable decision" in Samsung's ongoing patent dispute with Apple

LOL. Isn't "fair and reasonable" the first two letters of FRAND?
  • Reply 18 of 102
    T.S.
  • Reply 19 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

South Korea trying to influence the upcoming ITC decision this Friday where Samsung faces a ban. The shills will be raging if Samsung products get banned. Never mind that none of Apple's patents in this case are SEP's or anything like that. They'll overlook that completely and claim foul.

What are the specifics of this upcoming case ? A link or something ?

• Reply 20 of 102

South Korea is acting decisively. Apple - Samsung patent dispute seems to be an international problem right now.