iPhone 5s talk and surf and rf360 chip

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am a non techie, but I have two very simple questions. Here goes:
1. Would the Qualcomm rf360 allow the next iphone to talk and surf on Verizon; and
2. will the chip be included in the new device?

I have read many articles, forums, etc..on this functionality and chip. None of the items I have read indicate that the chip will allow talk and surf to occur.

I am a long time Verizon customer that must have talk and surf. It is the only reason that I do not have an iphone.

I look forward to responses. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    1. If that's what it can do. If you're reading nothing about that, then why would you think it could? What needs to be present for that to happen with CDMA+LTE, anyway?
    2. We can't possibly know.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcb771 View Post

I am a non techie, but I have two very simple questions. Here goes:

1. Would the Qualcomm rf360 allow the next iphone to talk and surf on Verizon; and

2. will the chip be included in the new device?

2. Don't know, but could.  Phones using it are due second half of 2013.

1. Would help space-wise, but it depends on if Apple adds another antenna.

• To use both LTE and CDMA (SVLTE) at the same time, or to transmit on two CDMA lines (SVDO), it requires two transmit antennas.

• Phones such as the Galaxy have two transmit antennas, and thus are able to do SVDO and/or SVLTE.

• The iPhone 5 apparently only has one transmit antenna.  This means it cannot do SVDO or SVLTE. 

(Having only one antenna doesn't affect the GSM side, because when you start a voice call, it drops your LTE session and falls back to UMTS-3G to allow simultaneous voice + data.  When you finish talking, it reverts to LTE again.)