Investor Carl Icahn reveals 'large position' in Apple, advises Tim Cook to buy back more stock [u]

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Billionaire investor Carl Icahn spoke with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook on Tuesday about potentially increasing the company's share buyback program, while also revealing his holding company currently has a "large position" in the iPhone maker.

Icahn

Icahn took to his official Twitter account on Tuesday to tell followers that he believes Apple is "extremely undervalued" at its current share price. He is the majority shareholder of diversified holding company Icahn Enterprises, which had $15.39 billion in revenue in fiscal 2012.

The billionaire also revealed he had a conversation with Apple's CEO on Tuesday, in which Icahn shared his belief that "a larger buyback should be done now." Apple announced plans to boost its quarterly dividend and buy back shares at a cost of $100 billion through 2015.

Icahn said Tuesday that he plans to speak with Cook "again shortly." After his tweets were published, shares of AAPL shot up by more than 4 percent.

Update: After Icahn's comments gained publicity, Apple offered comment to The Wall Street Journal: "We appreciate the interest and investment of all our shareholders. Tim had a very positive conversation with Mr. Icahn today."

Apple spent $16 billion last quarter alone on repurchasing 36 million in shares. The original schedule had called for the company to buy 10 million in shares in the third quarter, but Apple apparently decided to push harder and buy at an average share price of $444.44 ??more than $250 off from the company's high of $702.10 reached last September.

The investor has made headlines in recent weeks for his opposition to Dell's attempts to take the company private. Icahn opened his Twitter account in June with a joke about his ongoing spat with the PC maker: "Twitter is great. I like it almost as much as I like Dell."

While Icahn's feuds with Michael Dell and the Dell Board of Directors are well known, the billionaire's bullish take on Apple wasn't revealed until Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Of course it's grossly undervalued. Look at Apple's P/E compared to almost anyone else in the tech arena. Then consider who's bringing new ideas and moving the industry forward and try to justify that fact.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Of course it's grossly undervalued. Look at Apple's P/E compared to almost anyone else in the tech arena. Then consider who's bringing new ideas and moving the industry forward and try to justify that fact.
    What say you Larry Ellison? :D
  • Reply 3 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Icahn is famous for butting heads with CEOs - Watch out Tim!

• Reply 4 of 68
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Just great.  This guy is the last thing Apple needs.

Tim should offer to buy back his shares, specifically, so he can take a hike.

• Reply 5 of 68
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Ugggh... nothing but a greedy slimey short term stock manpulator/squeeze man.
    I could imagine if this occurred in the past, Steve would get with Larry E and tell this guy to f'off or they raid all his holdings! Cant ever see Tim doing that.

Ok... now its time to say it- Apple is Doomed!
  • Reply 6 of 68
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Correct me if I am wrong but if Apple buy back more stock and Icahn holds, wouldn't that eventually make him the largest shareholder by far and give him more control over Apple?

• Reply 7 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    CNBC listed some of the stocks he took positions in and they're all up big since he got in.
  • Reply 8 of 68

a crap... this is as good as Loeb over at SONY. Tim needs to stand his ground if he needs to just like Kazuo Hirai did.

• Reply 9 of 68
    ICahn is a long term value investor whose long term track record, on a total IRR basis, exceeds Warren Buffet's. Google it.

He's turned around many companies and has been in the news a lot over the past year for his involvement with both NetFlix and Dell. He tremendously helped NetFlix's share price performance over the past year and a half after he announced his stake. As someone who wants less focus on Apple's declining share price and more focus on new product innovation, this should be a positive news bit.

Also, he came to Herbalife and its CEO's defense this summer, taking on so called "greedy slimy manipulators". He's not a manipulator, he just knows value when he sees it. I am very happy he announced his stake.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Wait a minute...Icahn announces publicly that he has a large position and that he's advised Apple to buy back more stock? Isn't that a manipulation of the market? Based on that announcement (and probably Foxconn's announcement of increased profits), Apple stock is up $20 today. How much did Icahn make in one day based upon his announcement?

• Reply 11 of 68
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I would give his statements greater credibility if he first announced his opinion that AAPL is undervalued then started amassing the stock. As it is, he's just another brazen stock manipulator, using his name to move the stock's price in his favor. I wish this sort of shenanigan was illegal.
  • Reply 12 of 68

Ha no. He, by law, has to disclose his positions in his 13F filings. The news would have come to light anyway. The fact that he posted it on twitter in no way means he "manipulated" the market. This site throws around "manipulated" way too loosely. The stock moved because people respect him. He thinks the stock's undervalued, other people follow his lead. If I announced tomorrow I bought a stake, that doesn't mean I manipulated the market. That's silly. 

• Reply 13 of 68
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    nasserae wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but if Apple buy back more stock and Icahn holds, wouldn't that eventually make him the largest shareholder by far and give him more control over Apple?

The largest shareholder has over $19b invested in Apple. I highly doubt Icahn invested anywhere near that much. He invested $320m in Netflix. He invested in Dell too:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/08/01/carl-icahn-sues-dell-in-latest-attempt-to-foil-us24-4-billion-buyout/?__lsa=cd79-4685

He can be influential with other shareholders though despite not having a majority share. It doesn't sound like he's investing in Apple in order to enact any changes.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Haven't seen a 13D filing involving AAPL in years, which would be required for anyone crossing the threshold of 5% ownership. Apple has such a huge market value (even pre-Icahn) that no single person outside the Sultan of Brunei might even be able to swing it. Doubtful even Bill Gates or Warren Buffet could pony up to that extent.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creid1987 View Post

Ha no. He, by law, has to disclose his positions in his 13F filings. The news would have come to light anyway. The fact that he posted it on twitter in no way means he "manipulated" the market. This site throws around "manipulated" way too loosely. The stock moved because people respect him. He thinks the stock's undervalued, other people follow his lead. If I announced tomorrow I bought a stake, that doesn't mean I manipulated the market. That's silly. 

My do we have an outsized opinion of one's influence!  You can announce all you want about your stock purchases and it would not move the market one iota.  Even if you tried, you won't be able to manipulate the market. 

You think Icahn isn't aware that what he says will move the market?  He sure did manipulate the market but he did not break any laws.  

• Reply 16 of 68

Not talking 13D, 13F is just reporting of holdings. 13D is required when you cross 5% threshold. 

https://whalewisdom.com/filer/icahn-carl-c-et-al

http://www.sec.gov/answers/form13f.htm

• Reply 17 of 68
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

imo Apple did what it had to do regarding dividends and buybacks.  It should not add more but instead focus on innovation and small acquisitions.

I think we just got a "Blue Horseshow Loves Anacott Steel"

• Reply 18 of 68

He bought over $1bn of Apple stock fyi. 

Again, you guys are using manipulate in the context of a marketplace too loosely. Connotations matter. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_manipulation

• Reply 19 of 68
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Wait a minute...Icahn announces publicly that he has a large position and that he's advised Apple to buy back more stock? Isn't that a manipulation of the market? Based on that announcement (and probably Foxconn's announcement of increased profits), Apple stock is up $20 today. How much did Icahn make in one day based upon his announcement?

Anyone is allowed to publicly acknowledge his/her positions in the market.  The trouble occurs when you secretly let some people in on it so that they can profit to the detriment of others.

The fact that publicizing his actions amounts to a self-fulfilling prophecy is more power to him and something he has earned through past successes.  We should all be so lucky.

Thompson

• Reply 20 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creid1987 View Post

He bought over $1bn of Apple stock fyi. 

Again, you guys are using manipulate in the context of a marketplace too loosely. Connotations matter. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_manipulation

To which source do you attribute the $1 billion figure?