HDMI Connectivity and Problems (No Signal/Inputs from Apple TV or MacMini) - Panasonic TC-P50ST60 an

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited May 2015

This thread is started to provide others with a solution that I found after troubleshooting problems with my Panasonic TC-P50ST60.  The solution should work for other plasmas and TVs as well, since this solution addresses a unique problem that does not originate with the TV itself or the external device, but rather the HDMI cord itself.  When buying a brand new HDMI cord, it is unlikely that you would think to troubleshoot the cord.  Consequently, I hope this helps anyone who was in the same situation as me. 

After purchasing my Panasonic plasma, I purchased super thin HDMI Cords.  However, every time I tried to connect the HDMI cord from the TV to my Apple TV or Mac Mini, the TV continuously reported that there was No Signal and I should check the connections. After going crazy, I finally discovered that there are some manufacturers of HDMI cords that produce HDMI cords that are "directional".  What does that mean? Well, it means that one end of the HDMI cord is the "Source" end and the other end of the HDMI cord is the "TV" end.  If you accidentally ignore which one is the "Source" end and you plug the "Source" end into the TV's HDMI port, then you will never get a signal on the television. Since the Source end is supposed to be connected to the external device (Mac Mini, Apple TV, blu-ray player, etc.). 

I discovered this problem after I ordered MonoPrice's Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology.  I simply presumed that you could connect either end of the HDMI cable to the TV. However, this was not correct.  So if you ever rack your brains over this type of issue and can't figure out why the TV or the external device is not giving or receiving a signal, do not rule out the HDMI cable. It can actually be the source of the problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Haven't struck one of these yet, but thanks !
    Who'd a thunk ?

Does the cable have some sort of indicator on the plugs - like "S" or "TV" to give you a clue ?
  • Reply 2 of 10

Not that you would notice off the bat.  If you look really close after realizing this, there is a tiny mark that appears to say TV. But it's something you easily overlook especially since, like you, I had never heard of one direction type HDMI cables.

• Reply 3 of 10
    Heh - yea you have to love how they mark some of these things. Black on black, so you can't read them without a torch held just at the right angle. :D
  • Reply 4 of 10
    seanhseanh Posts: 1member

THank God I stumbled upon this solution.  I was going out of my mind trying to figure this out and would never have thought to look at that!

• Reply 5 of 10

has anyone ever gotten a "no signal shut off was activated" on there panasonic plasma tv?

• Reply 6 of 10
    Bought a Panny 32" today and while running through the menus I saw that option there on the System menu. Haven't read the manual yet but I would think that there would be a remote key combo you could press as a shortcut. Might want to check that out.
    There's also a software update which I had to run as well.
    cheers, r
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Thank you so much!,,,,,
  • Reply 8 of 10

On Redmere cables, one connector is larger than the other.  That's because the larger connector has an "equalizer chip" built into it.  The larger connectors are usually labeled TV or "Sink" meaning it goes to the destination device.  The other side is usually labeled source.  Only cable with equalizers build into the connector would be directional.  They are also known as active cables because there is a bit of signal processing going on in there.  Cables that don't have chips are called passive.  

Another good thing to know about Redmere cables is that they aren't designed to be daisy chained.  That is because the sink connector with the chip in it draws power from the device it's connected to.  If you daisy chain the cables, the chips in the middle of the chain would not have sufficient power.

• Reply 9 of 10
    hhibbshhibbs Posts: 1member

THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Reply 10 of 10

try to see here http://mans.io/brand/Panasonic

if you cannot find info you need - just write to support team there