Best Buy & Amazon holding Back To School sale on MacBook Airs through midnight

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In addition to its recently-announced iPhone trade-in incentives, Best Buy this weekend is among a handful of resellers offering notable discounts on Apple's MacBook Airs, with prices for 2012 and current 2013 models starting at $799 and $899, respectively.

MacBook Airs from $899

2013 MacBook Airs

The big box retailer's Back To School sale knocks $100 off all 2013 MacBook Airs and between $120 and $160 off iMacs. Both offers end Saturday at midnight.

For its part, Amazon quickly matched Best Buy's pricing on the following models but has been unable to offer the others at such pricing due to on-again off-again inventory shortages of Apple's most popular Macs that are stemming from the company's aggressive channel flow restructuring.

11" MacBook Air (1.30GHz/4GB/128GB) $899.99
13" MacBook Air (1.30GHz/4GB/128GB) $999.99
27.0" iMac (3.2GHz/8GB/1TB) $1,839.99

Amazon also only charges sales tax on orders shipped in AZ, CA, KS, KY, NJ, NY, ND, PA, TX, and WA.

$799 mid-2013 MacBook Air, Loaded 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro

Separately, B&H Photo continues to offer AppleInsider readers exclusive savings and the absolute lowest prices around on the following two models when you use the links in this article or our Apple Price Guides. For more details on these offers, click here.

11" MacBookAir (1.70GHz/4GB/64GB) $799.00 ($200 savings)
13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2.5GHz/8GB,768GB) $1,799 ($600 savings)

These same offers can also be combined with exclusive AppleCare Protection Plan bundle pricing for added savings:

11" MacBookAir (1.70GHz/4GB/64GB) $978.99 ($269 savings)
13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2.5GHz/8GB,768GB) $1,978.99 ($669 savings)

B&H ships free and only collects sales tax on orders shipped to its home state of New York. For the lowest prices on all other Macs, see our Mac Price Guide (snippet below):

+ B&H Photo only charges sales tax in NY, yielding hundreds in additional savings for most readers.
^ B&H Photo offers this exclusive pricing to AppleInsider Price Guide users.
* MacMall is offering AI readers 3% off their already reduced iMac, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air prices with coupon code APPLEINSIDER02
* MacMall also only charges sales tax in CA, IL, NY, TN, MN, GA, NC, and WI, yielding hundreds in additional savings for most readers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    I'm surprised there's been no further discussion on here about 2013 MacBook Airs failure to hold a wifi signal issue. The vast majority of those who reported it on apples own forums have said the 'wifi update' has not resolved their issues, although it did cure the variable volume, and photoshop display problems. Even replacement MacBook Airs still have the same wifi issue. I'm holding off an upgrade of my MBA - shame, the increased battery life looks so promising.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kevt wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's been no further discussion on here about 2013 MacBook Airs failure to hold a wifi signal issue. The vast majority of those who reported it on apples own forums have said the 'wifi update' has not resolved their issues, although it did cure the variable volume, and photoshop display problems. Even replacement MacBook Airs still have the same wifi issue. I'm holding off an upgrade of my MBA - shame, the increased battery life looks so promising.

Maybe there's no discussion because the overwhelming majority of people don't have an issue?

Saying that people on the Apple forums have a problem is pointless. Most people who post there ARE the ones having a problem. That doesn't mean that the majority of users have a problem.

Typical Apple Forums responses:

10 people saying they have a problem - but they post 20 times each to complain, so there are 200 posts.
    100 people saying "I don't have a problem" (as if that means anything)
    200 trolls saying "buy a real computer like an Ultrabook"
    200 posts that have nothing to do with the issue at all
    100 posts from people offering suggestions to try to help.

So, 10 people with a problem leads to 800 posts in the forum.

It just isn't a widespread problem. If you buy one and have a problem, take it back to your Apple store (or authorized repair center) and get it fixed. Holding off on buying one doesn't make any more sense than refusing to buy a BMW 3 series because 20 people on the BMW forum ran over nails and got flat tires.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe there's no discussion because the overwhelming majority of people don't have an issue?

Saying that people on the Apple forums have a problem is pointless. Most people who post there ARE the ones having a problem. That doesn't mean that the majority of users have a problem.

10 people saying they have a problem - but they post 20 times each to complain, so there are 200 posts.

It just isn't a widespread problem. If you buy one and have a problem, take it back to your Apple store (or authorized repair center) and get it fixed. Holding off on buying one doesn't make any more sense than refusing to buy a BMW 3 series because 20 people on the BMW forum ran over nails and got flat tires.

This.

I'll never understand how people think that 100 people across the entire internet with a problem indicates a "widespread, serious issue."

Its a rounding error, nothing more. Add to it that most of these people won't even take their machine to Apple for replacement, they just sit with broken machines waiting for Apple to somehow fix it OTA.

• Reply 4 of 6
    This would have been a good deal from Best Buy but I need a minimum of 8GB of ram, 4 GB doesn't cut it anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    it seems a nice bargain,
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Totally agree.  Apple Forums has become a forest.  I wasted so much time reading but getting very little information out of it.