YouTube for iOS gets multitasking, Radical.FM takes on Pandora with pay-what-you-can model

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google's iOS YouTube app has received an update that brings multitasking capabilities, and a new music service is taking on established brands like Pandora and Spotify with a "pay what you can" business model.

YouTube for iOS updated

The newest version of YouTube for iOS brings the popular video app to version 2.0. In updating the app, Google has added the ability to watch a video even as the user searches for another video, in a manner akin to picture-in-picture.

The new feature is activated by swiping down while a video is playing. This functionality works in both landscape and portrait orientations.

The update also brings a card-like interaction similar to the one seen in Google's Google Now apps. Users can swipe videos to the left or right in order to close them. Version 2.0 also adds the ability to search for playlists and use the "play all" button to continuously stream a playlist without having to queue them.

Version 2.0 of the YouTube app for iOS is available as a free download in the App Store. The 15.5-megabyte download requires an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.

Radical.FM brings pay-what-you-will model to digital streaming radio

Services like iTunes Radio, Pandora, and Spotify just got a new competitor in the form of Radical.FM. The new app gives users the ability to create their own customized radio listening experiences or to mix professionally curated genres, assigning a value to each so that the app knows what you're most likely to want to listen to.

One novel aspect of the new app is that it doesn't ask users for a set rate for access to its streaming services. Instead, Radical.FM tells users to pay what they can in order to support the app.

Like other radio apps, Radical.FM allows users to block any of the 22 million tracks that they don't like, as well as to block artists. Users can also delete genres or adjust their values so that they are more or less likely to be played.

Radical is a 5.7-megabyte download available for free in the App Store. The app is compatible with iPhones, iPods, and iPads running iOS 5.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

The picture in picture feature is really nice. The overall look/feel is very iOS 7.

• Reply 2 of 22

Google want's Apple's affluent customers' eye balls sooooo badly.

• Reply 3 of 22
    Aaah, very cool..
  • Reply 4 of 22
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Great performance and smooth new features!

Still...no reply to comment ...no inbox or messages

I really miss those features.

• Reply 5 of 22
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The picture in picture feature is really nice. The overall look/feel is very iOS 7.

The look and feel is stock Android.

• Reply 6 of 22
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Yeah, Android got the same update just now too.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I just downloaded and tried Radical.FM. Here is my (scathing) review:

My mind is blown. This isn't even beta quality. It's alpha quality, and that's being generous. The developers honestly think this can compete with Pandora and Spotify. That's madness. The iPad has the most parred down basic interface imaginable, yet it isn't easy to either create a playlist or navigate through any menus. Searching for a song plays 30 seconds clips like the iTunes Store. The developers say this is a "pay what your want" pricing model, but what is there to pay for here? Spotify and Pandora offer this and more for free. Spotify charges for the ability to play whole songs, not 30 second clips. The stations themselves have to genre based since trying to create a station based on an artist or song only plays 30 second clips. Is it just me or this service a stinking pile of garbage?
  • Reply 9 of 22

How could Google do this? Uncle Fester assured me that the iPad couldn't multitask! I saw it on the internet so it HAS to be true!

On other news: Today Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, physically attacked Mr. Elop, the CEO of Nokia in public, on stage. It's uncertain if Elop will survive the unexpected and unprovoked altercation. Baller was reported to have screamed as he grabbed Mr. Elop, "You work for me! Give it to me! Give it to me!." Observers were reported to have said Baller was demanding the ownership of Nokia.

Steve Baller has been reported to have been acting increasingly unstable since the poor performance of Microsoft's flagship Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets running the new Windows 8 software. The expected success of which was to have saved Mr Baller's job at Microsoft. He is reported to have broke down in the executive washroom Last month sobbing, "It's the damn Zune all over again." 

As a preemptive move to hold onto his crumbling corporate position, according the the Seattle Sun, Steve Ballmer had himself crowned King of Computer Stuff during a coronation ceremony at the company's headquarters in Redmond last Friday. This was followed by a parade through the parking lot where he was carried in a makeshift palanquin.

Below is a photograph of the assault on Mr. Elop just as it began. Subsequent photos were to gory to publish. 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

• Reply 10 of 22
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Unless pure sarcasm, link please.  I tried two search services (including image search), the Verge and CNet with no results....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

On other news: Today Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, physically attacked Mr. Elop, the CEO of Nokia in public, on stage. It's uncertain if Elop will survive the unexpected and unprovoked altercation. Baller was reported to have screamed as he grabbed Mr. Elop, "You work for me! Give it to me! Give it to me!." Observers were reported to have said Baller was demanding the ownership of Nokia.

Steve Baller has been reported to have been acting increasingly unstable since the poor performance of Microsoft's flagship Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets running the new Windows 8 software.

Below is a photograph of the assault on Mr. Elop just as it began. Subsequent photos were to gory to publish. 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

• Reply 11 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    bigpics wrote: »
    Link please.  I tried two search services (including image search), the Verge and CNet with no results....

Try Bing. :D
  • Reply 12 of 22
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    bigpics wrote: »
    Unless pure sarcasm, link please.  I tried two search services (including image search), the Verge and CNet with no results....

You didn't get it at "Baller was reported to have..."?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Just got the update on my Samsung tab 2 7.0 with the update to android 4.2.2. Try to keep google off my I devices though so still prefer video tube.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    crosslad wrote: »
    Just got the update on my Samsung tab 2 7.0 with the update to android 4.2.2. Try to keep google off my I devices though so still prefer video tube.

You have an I device from Samsung?
    You try to keep Google off your Android 4.2.2?

'Kay
  • Reply 15 of 22
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    philboogie wrote: »

'Kay
    I think he's saying that he owns a Samsung tablet that received the update but he prefers to use Video Tube on the iDevices that he owns.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's iOS YouTube app has received an update that brings multitasking capabilities

But still blocks people from listening to background audio.  Shameful.

• Reply 17 of 22
    john.b wrote: »
    But still blocks people from listening to background audio.  Shameful.

Those were exactly my thoughts as I read through the article!
    Also, the back button is gone...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    droidftw wrote: »
    I think he's saying that he owns a Samsung tablet that received the update but he prefers to use Video Tube on the iDevices that he owns.

Ah, ok, thought that there was some grammar thing going on. Thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member

'Kay

I didn't say that. I have an iPhone, an iPad and a Samsung tab. I try to keep Google off my Apple devices. If I do need a google app, very rarely now, I use the Samsung tablet.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    crosslad wrote: »

'Kay

I didn't say that. I have an iPhone, an iPad and a Samsung tab. I try to keep Google off my Apple devices. If I do need a google app, very rarely now, I use the Samsung tablet.

Sorry, that's how I took it. It just read kinda weird to me, is all. Thanks.