Vevo reportedly inks music video content deals with Apple and Samsung, Apple TV app could launch thi

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Music video platform Vevo is said to have signed deals with both Apple and Samsung to deliver streaming and on-demand content via set-top boxes and television sets, with a possible Apple TV debut coming as soon as this week.

Vevo
Vevo TV is already available on gaming consoles like Microsoft's Xbox 360. | Source: Vevo

According to The Wall Street Journal, Vevo will deliver its usual assortment of on-demand music videos, as it does via YouTube, as well as a new channel that serves up streaming content 24 hours a day.

Earlier in August, Vevo, a partnership between Sony Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group, was rumored to be working on a streaming app for the Apple TV. Sources claim the whispers were true, but along with the Apple TV app, the company will also be releasing a service for Samsung televesion sets.

While the service is not yet official, Apple will supposedly be first to offer Vevo's new offering on the Apple TV, possibly as soon as this week. Samsung's version is likely "a few weeks away," the publication said.

Vevo is thought to be looking for ways to branch out from YouTube, which takes a significant amount of advertising profit per video served. With the new apps, Vevo will have greater control over revenue. The music video provider is also said to be eyeing an entry into cable television, but has so far been unsuccessful in brokering a deal.

With its move to the living room, Vevo will be able to sell made for TV advertising, which is more lucrative than the Internet-focused offerings seen on YouTube. The company already has a TV presence with apps made for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Roku set-top products, though the Apple TV deal could see much higher metrics given its domination of the streaming device market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Nice IF it is not just for the USA.
    Apple is still far too US-centric with these new service launches, forcing the rest of the world to wait 12 to 18 months before it rolls out the "new" service.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Would be nice if Vevo added channels. So specific types of music videos would play 24/7
  • Reply 3 of 21

I'll know the floodgates are open when Formula One can be watched online, (for a fee, of course!) :) That's when I know the Cable companies will just become a big fat delivery "pipe!" :)

• Reply 4 of 21
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Sorry but who exactly is going to [B]pay[/B] for a music video station? If it's even a dollar a year it's too much.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I really like the Vevo channel for the Roku 3. One of the best out there. Plenty of high quality music videos of all genres. Vevo even has a live channel if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by plankton View Post

Apple is still far too US-centric with these new service launches, forcing the rest of the world to wait 12 to 18 months before it rolls out the "new" service.

Yup. This is the main reason why iPhone is the best selling phone in the US and not anywhere else. The services, not a bigger screen, is the main reason.

• Reply 7 of 21
    8-)[CODE][/CODE]Does Apple usually do routine updates to its store when everyone's asleep? Because they're doing something to it right now...

http://store.apple.com/us

http://i.imgur.com/tYAr0R0.jpg
    Taken at 12 AM on August 21, 2013

What could it be???!!!
  • Reply 8 of 21

Quote:

Well these service launches are not exactly like an OS update.  

There are various barriers including licensing, language, legal etc...

Since Vevo is already international it should become available quickly on iOS in some countries.

• Reply 9 of 21
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    plankton wrote: »

Yup. This is the main reason why iPhone is the best selling phone in the US and not anywhere else. The services, not a bigger screen, is the main reason.

What iPhone services do you have in the States that aren't available International? AppleSauce007 makes a good point, but he's referring to iOS, not iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

Right, because clearly Apple hates the rest of the world and is holding back its services because of it.  Individual countries and companies could have nothing at all to do with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5085

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2843119?hl=en

Seems google hates the rest of the world too. 

• Reply 11 of 21
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What iPhone services do you have in the States that aren't available International? AppleSauce007 makes a good point, but he's referring to iOS, not iPhone.

It's not a question of "availability", it's the question of "working best". Every services on iPhone works best in the US. Everything. You name it. SIRI. Map. Passbook. Every stores (iBook, Newsstand etc.), yes including App Store and iTunes Store. Even the Trailer app is working best if you're in a US. Hell, even the Card app. 

The things I can think of that works just as good anywhere are only iMessage and Facetime. 

• Reply 12 of 21
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sorry but who exactly is going to pay for a music video station? If it's even a dollar a year it's too much.

Right? YouTube and others serve me fine for this.

• Reply 13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Would be nice if Vevo added channels. So specific types of music videos would play 24/7

One step at a time.   

Me... I live with AppleTV radio;-)   I flip between Classical during work hours, news during dinner, and Reggae/Ska most of the rest of the time.  If I'm staring at the screen, I'd prefer a plot;-)

• Reply 14 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by enquiry View Post

Right, because clearly Apple hates the rest of the world and is holding back its services because of it.  Individual countries and companies could have nothing at all to do with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5085

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2843119?hl=en

Seems google hates the rest of the world too. 

This...

The rest of the world's gov'ts, media rights owners hate 'the Internet'  (as opposed to 'THEIR internet').   Apple's method of 'taking 30%' off the top means that that's 30% less to the plutocracy, in markets that are much less lucrative.   Who knows how apple monetizes these channels (obviously less than 30%), but it's not free, and like Google, it gives apple distinct analytics on their customers content consumption, which in the end, gives Apple strategic advantage... I'd hate to be a content 'distributor' in China making a 5% margin, Apple then 'charging me' 30% of that to build out a channel on Apple TV, and then have Apple end run me to the content owner, and embed the service into the base AppleTV product.

This is why the Cable Companies and Networks are scared in the US...  But the market is so big and relatively balkanized (it will take 30 years for TV viewers to cut the cable in the US... but in markets that have cable to only 5% of the market, but LTE is delivering in 5 years... do the math.) you're seeing the cable companies moving up and down the food chain (buying content, likely buying LTE carriers).

Hence national cable, wireless, content distributors/owners outside the US are more resistant to this onslaught... They haven't amortized their recent investments, whereas in the US, those assets are depreciating, and the big players can compete by building out new infrastructure  and/or start moving up the food chain to content ownership (eg Comcast).

Change will be slow...  But it will change.

• Reply 15 of 21

Quote:

Sorry but who exactly is going to pay for a music video station? If it's even a dollar a year it's too much.

I used to (back in the day)... MTV was on the first tier above basic cable.

But in the day of YouTube in particular, and the social media 'maze' (or craze), where outlets are either free for pushing videos out and/or the 'artists' are paid by the facespace, iTunes, Googleplexs of the world to drive eyeballs to their channel on the internet..   It will be the distributors that pay... and then our eyeballs (and those of our children and grandchildren) are purchased in return.

The 'virtuous' circle of Apple TV is:  It's in the house, it's on, and this is someone who is willing to spend money on alternative's to cable.   Apple pays (or at least subsidized the content delivery through it's CDN) vevo to bring an audience to Apple, and vevo then gets a bigger 'share' of the space, which then increases it's marketing potential (for any 'in app' advertising), and therefore market cap.  This large audience attracts the big artists to share their vids into this space, to increase exposure (oh, and maybe a bit of payola one way or the other).  Artists get exposure to a paying public, vevo gets market cap and revenue... Apple gets eyeballs through more content delivered in their integrated (somewhat) manner.

Like Cable, Apple gets more content to drive up the value of their AppleTV franchise in the eyes of the public (my home has 2... my 80ish parents are next, if for nothing else AirPlay), and exposes them to buying the music they hear on the channel (a PPV sort of upsell), but unlike Cable, Apple also get the 'halo' to the personal devices sales.

• Reply 16 of 21

it will be available in at least 12 countries and more going forward.

• Reply 17 of 21
    More stuff for AppleTV yay!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I really like the Vevo channel for the Roku 3.

But the Roku doesn't have YouTube. That's one of the main things I do on my Apple TV.

• Reply 19 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

If their YouTube channel is any indication the app will be free.

• Reply 20 of 21

When is Vevo app coming?  When is 5.4 coming?