Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 6 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple released the sixth OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview on Wednesday, bringing minor enhancements to the forthcoming operating system ahead of an expected launch this fall.

OS X Mavericks Finder

It appears Apple is back to its release cycle as the latest OS X 10.9 build comes two weeks after the fifth Developer Preview brought iBooks functionality to Mavericks. That seed was delayed slightly after an intruder gained access to Apple's Dev Center in July.

When Apple launches Mavericks this fall, it will carry features like iBooks access, Finder tabs, Maps, App Nap and Compressed Memory, among others.

Developers can download the sixth Mavericks preview via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I'm looking forward to this update. Lots of nice under the hood items. Finder tabs...finally! I wonder what the holdup was?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Who said there was a holdup? I don't think Apple commited to a beta release schedule.

• Reply 3 of 28

No, I meant for the Finder getting tabs.

• Reply 4 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I'm looking forward to this update. Lots of nice under the hood items. Finder tabs...finally! I wonder what the holdup was?

Finder tabs... I don't know what even...  Is this something Windows even has??

• Reply 5 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Finder tabs... I don't know what even...  Is this something Windows even has??

No, I don't think Win 8 has them. When Safari got tabs, that's when Apple should have implemented them into the Finder...just my 2 cents. Very handy.

• Reply 6 of 28
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    hypoluxa wrote: »

Finder tabs was in the first 10.9 beta release as was Tags. Command-T

Edit: Oh, I may have misunderstood when you said, "this update". You aren't a Dev with the beta. Sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Just wondering by the looks, will mavericks or IOS 7 release first (your guesses), just wondering?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Just wondering by the looks, will mavericks or IOS 7 release first (your guesses), just wondering?

iOS 7, easy.

• Reply 9 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Mavericks won't be far behind but yeah I think iOS 7 will be first with the release of the next gen iPhone. Then there will be a slew of Mac releases and I'm thinking they'll announce a formal release date for Mavericks. Perhaps at a Mac Pro Apple Event? Or, maybe just an Apple Event in general with updates to lots of Macs, including the Mac Pro (being the major announcement at the event). 

• Reply 10 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 7, easy.

There are still (mostly minor) issues with both, so it's hard to say which will be first. But as someone else implied, it's likely iOS 7 will be tied to the new hardware being announced in a few weeks, so unless the hardware is pre-announced well in advance of its actual release date, you're right; it probably will go GM before 10.9.

• Reply 11 of 28
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    iOS 7, easy.

Five bucks says Mavericks ships with the refreshed MBP line first. Apple is losing a ton on back to school buyers the longer they put it off, and their third parties aren't exactly turning a profit thanks to the deep discounts they've been forced to offer to move excess inventory.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I still run snow leopard, bypassed the whole lion thing as I found it irritating and buggy. I shall be moving to mavericks though purely because of finder tabs, a feature I can not wait for. Windows 8 is completely unusable, I have it purely for testing the useless ie on my sites. Every single thing Microsoft does is shite, except of course for employing balmer.
  • Reply 13 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I still run snow leopard, bypassed the whole lion thing as I found it irritating and buggy. I shall be moving to mavericks though purely because of finder tabs, a feature I can not wait for.

Apple may not have a direct path from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. You may have to buy one of the Lions first.

• Reply 14 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Five bucks says Mavericks ships with the refreshed MBP line first. Apple is losing a ton on back to school buyers the longer they put it off, and their third parties aren't exactly turning a profit thanks to the deep discounts they've been forced to offer to move excess inventory.

I keep thinking Mavericks will ship with Mac Pro release but my betters here tell me I am wrong … :)
  • Reply 15 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Apple may not have a direct path from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. You may have to buy one of the Lions first.

There was a small update to Snow Leopard if memory serves, that simply added the ability to access the Apps Store so users could get Lion. I am not sure, but I think that later on they could get Mountain Lion directly that way without Lion. If so, then i see no reason that Snow Leopard couldn't access the App Store for a direct jump to Mavericks too, even if there has to be another small update to Snow Leopard. I just don't see Apple these days expecting folks to go through a multiple update scenario. That is all assuming the Mac in question is Mavericks capable of course.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Mavericks has definitely felt more stable/polished than iOS 7 in my experience with both.  However, as others have said, the release date of each will likely be driven by which hardware refresh comes first.

• Reply 17 of 28

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Apple is losing a ton on back to school buyers the longer they put it off

Do you even have the slightest clue what a company is? DO YOU?! They're not losing any money on this, otherwise they wouldn't have been doing it for the past SEVEN YEARS.

Unless you mean they're losing sales due to people not buying, which is also meaningless, as they're not going to update during the BTS run in the first place.

• Reply 18 of 28
    hummhumm Posts: 4member

There is still one big bug in OS X Maverick Beta 6. If you reply an email and you like to change the subject or add some text in it, it deletes the whole subject and it stays empty. This bug is there since beta 1 and is on several machines (imac and macbook air). The language is german.

I hope they know about that issue and fix it as I guess quite a few people like to do that.

• Reply 19 of 28

Originally Posted by humm View Post

I hope they know about that issue and fix it…

They will if you report it.

• Reply 20 of 28

You can run mavericks under snow leopard using parallels.