Doctor completes liver surgery with aid of iPad augmented reality app

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A German doctor surgeon has leveraged the power of Apple's iPad and an accompanying augmented reality app to assist him in the completion of a surgery, marking one of the first times a procedure has been performed in such a manner.

Using an iPad, surgeons in Bremen, Germany, were able to create a virtual 3D pre-op plan for one patient's procedure, reports Reuters. [Warning: Some graphic images.] The surgeons took a picture of the patient's liver with the iPad's camera. The app then constructs an augmented reality overlay of the liver, showing the physicians where essential structures such as tumors and blood vessels lie.

The augmented reality overlay is built off of scans of the organ that were performed prior to the surgery. Having the actual layout of the organ visible before beginning allows surgeons to avoid potential complications and could result in more efficient operations.

The team behind the app sees it potentially having further applications beyond just the liver. It could also be used to help in excising tumors from the pancreas and other organs.

While this is one of the first times an iPad has played such a role in the actual process of a surgery, Apple's popular tablets and smartphones have become quite popular among doctors. Apple devices are the top choice among physicians, and those doctors are continually finding ways to integrate them into their daily practices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

When reliability of one's equipment is an issue of life-or-death, there is no "tablet" to be used in the operating room.. but an iPad.

This is incredible stuff.  If Apple come come up with an iOS-driven heads-up display (like Google Glass), that would really take off in areas like this.

• Reply 2 of 36

I have that app

• Reply 3 of 36
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    It's incredible how surgeons use iPad toys for consuming content; others use real computers for real work creating content to be the next flavor of the day on the blogs, in the cinema or on YouTube.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    How ironic that Steve Jobs may have given us the tools to possibly conquer that from which he perished.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Media consumption tablet.

• Reply 6 of 36
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    When I go to the doctor and see them using a large screen tv in the exam room I just want to scream at the chunkiness of it. I have several gripes about medical record keeping in the USA including: why do they make it nearly impossible for the patient to have copies of their own records - we paid for the test, give us the results; why aren't records portable - keeping the records to themselves (again which we paid for) results in needless repeated tests or missed diagnosis; why do we have to wait for the doctor no matter what time the appointment is - if we make them wait, we are charged.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

(...) reports (...)

LOL, the Dr. seems to have touched the camera app by mistake during surgery. (Pic #7)

• Reply 8 of 36
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

How ironic that Steve Jobs may have given us the tools to possibly conquer that from which he perished.

But.. Consumption iToys!! /s
  • Reply 9 of 36
    What that doctor really needs now is a decent stand for that iPad. It's gotta be tough doing the entire surgery with one hand like that! :P
  • Reply 10 of 36
    hanmanhanman Posts: 11member
    Incredible!
  • Reply 11 of 36
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

When I go to the doctor and see them using a large screen tv in the exam room I just want to scream at the chunkiness of it. I have several gripes about medical record keeping in the USA including: why do they make it nearly impossible for the patient to have copies of their own records - we paid for the test, give us the results; why aren't records portable - keeping the records to themselves (again which we paid for) results in needless repeated tests or missed diagnosis; why do we have to wait for the doctor no matter what time the appointment is - if we make them wait, we are charged.

The problem is the system the hospital uses, like EpicCare, that is difficult for the hospital personnel to use, especially with Macs and iPads. Yes, they supposedly have the ability to work with iPads but through a Citrix-type interface, which doesn't give them everything they can do on a stupid PC. We should be able to have instant access to our records but as long as the hospital system providers bas everything on an insane system built around Windows, we won't. For those who think I hate Windows, listen to my adult child complain about their documentation system crashing all the time and having to wait for a PC tech to fix them. 

• Reply 12 of 36

This is a great use of AR! I just finished a video about Audi's new augmented reality based owner's manual. This is even cooler than AR-based oil changes!

• Reply 13 of 36
    It's the future!

Sorry, no offense to anyone, but, I wouldn't trust a doctor with an Android tablet! :)
  • Reply 14 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Dave, did you read the March 4th Time Magazine Cover story? The longest story (36 pages) and the only edition to ever sell out. It's called "Bitter Pill!"

Everyone over the age of 30 should read it.

Best! :)

Here's a link to the article:

http://livingwithmcl.com/BitterPill.pdf

• Reply 15 of 36
    daven wrote: »

Depending on the state, you may have the right to see and copy your medical records. Check with your doctor or a lawyer to see if that is the case where you live.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I wonder why they would not use traditional CT and MRI for their work.

• Reply 17 of 36
    mstone wrote: »
    I wonder why they would not use traditional CT and MRI for their work.

If I understand correctly... They took those scans previous to the operation and then during the operation when they cut them open they used AR to tie into those scans to better see whats going on.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

If I understand correctly... They took those scans previous to the operation and then during the operation when they cut them open they used AR to tie into those scans to better see whats going on.

This is very likely correct. My wife had deep sinus surgery in which her head was imaged with CT first to map her sinuses using a tight-fitting headpiece that allowed the coordinates to be reproduced later. The doctor used an AR computer screen during the surgery next to the surgical table. It was undoubtedly more expensive than an iPad, but somehow cheaper non-bespoke medical technology rarely translates into lower medical bills. 

The person who mentioned a stand above: crikey, I hope this picture was just posed to show off the tablet. You'd think an assistant could at least hold the thing. Having a tablet you don't want to drop wrapped in slippery plastic in one hand and a knife inside the patient in the other seems daft. 

• Reply 19 of 36
    What they really want to do is run Microsoft Office and breakdance.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

What that doctor really needs now is a decent stand for that iPad. It's gotta be tough doing the entire surgery with one hand like that! :P

"Okay nurse, now while I'm holding this flap back with my free hand, you cut that vein on the left."

snip...

"No dammit, the one on MY left, not yours!"