Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new image has emerged online showing what appears to be a number of "iPhone 5C" models in testing in a Pegatron facility, as Apple gears up to introduce the anticipated device next month.

The images first appeared on Chinese site Sina Weibo and show numerous devices that match prior descriptions supposedly describing Apple's low-cost device. Notably, the devices pictured feature a black glass facade surrounding the display, an aspect that runs counter to previous renders, which have shown the device with a white face.

Some observers have suggested that such a design with black glass on the front may be meant to differentiate the device low-end iPhone from the iPod touch, which has a similar aesthetic. However, it's also possible that the image could be fake, and that the so-called "iPhone 5C" will in fact include white front glass to match the model with a white plastic back.

All of the handsets pictured feature a white back and sides. The new plastic iPhone model is expected to also come in a range of other colors, including blue, red, green, and yellow.

The image appears to show the devices' internal components of the handsets being tested ahead of final production. The picture was first publicized on Saturday by Nowhereelse.fr.

Observers expect that Apple will call its new model the "iPhone 5C" and that it will be the counterpart to Apple's flagship next-generation handset, a so-called "iPhone 5S." While the "iPhone 5S" is expected to feature the same premium materials that have typified Apple's smartphones since the iPhone 4, the "iPhone 5C" is believed to feature a polycarbonate chassis, which would lower construction costs and allow the company to offer it to a wider buying populace without sacrificing profit margins.

Some industry watchers expect that the "iPhone 5C" will replace the iPhone 5, marking a departure from Apple's usual policy of offering older models at a lower price. The low-end iPhone is expected to debut at a Sept. 10 media event, with a global launch likely coming soon after.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.
  • Reply 2 of 121
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    The black front makes more sense than a white one if you think about it, and this is the first supposed picture of the assembled device that we've seen.
    I think it's real and that the fronts are all black.
  • Reply 3 of 121
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.

This looks more like a development picture than a manufacturing picture. 

• Reply 4 of 121
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    "if you think about it"

I thought about it, and no, it does not make sense, invalidating your whole theory of "thinking about it".
  • Reply 5 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by oomu View Post

I thought about it, and no, it does not make sense, invalidating your whole theory of "thinking about it".

Don't be pointlessly confrontational.

• Reply 6 of 121
    One thing we can definitely say about this, dudes! This is a photograph!! But dude! Why are all these phones in a fridge, connected by different kinds of tangled up bad cable, with mattress labels (do not remove this label under penalty of law) attached to them? Does this make sense? Does it scale up to millions of phones? Hey, dude, it DOES if you GET ENOUGH REFRIGERATORS!!
  • Reply 7 of 121
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Black front makes sense..the Apple logo and typeface on the back are all black.
  • Reply 8 of 121

What's with the non-Apple lightning connectors? Is Pegatron also charging new iPhones at the factory with non-Apple power adapters too? It's only a matter of time before the whole factory goes up in flames or electrocutes some poor factory worker taking a bath.

• Reply 9 of 121
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wish I had one of those long TB cables!
  • Reply 10 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

One thing we can definitely say about this, dudes! This is a photograph!! But dude! Why are all these phones in a fridge, connected by different kinds of tangled up bad cable, with mattress labels (do not remove this label under penalty of law) attached to them? Does this make sense? Does it scale up to millions of phones? Hey, dude, it DOES if you GET ENOUGH REFRIGERATORS!!

This photo is blurry enough to hide a Sasquatch. For once, would somebody please give these factory workers an iPhone so their photos don't look like sh**?

• Reply 11 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good stuff. Credit where credit due.

It's worth noting though that over the last 2 years you have engaged in more pointlessly confrontational antics on this site than every other forum member combined.

That said, we should recognise good behaviour from you when we see it.

• Reply 12 of 121

Originally Posted by ameldrum1

It's worth noting though that over the last 2 years you have engaged in more pointlessly confrontational antics on this site than every other forum member combined.

Nah, try again.

• Reply 13 of 121

Pointlessly confrontational would properly describe you actually mouthing off to someone face to face, because it would result in nothing except you being humiliated.
  • Reply 14 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That is truly one dumb worker, or should I say ex-worker? If what was written on Engadget is true about the dumb broad, then she is busted. How stupid can somebody be? And they worked in quality control?

These plants obviously need a better hiring process, in order to filter out potential spies and other people who are just plain dumb.
  • Reply 15 of 121
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member
    These phones are different from earlier leaks, the front plate for these are black with white backs, where it was all white before.
  • Reply 16 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Are those first 4 digits in the URL a year? Is this quite an old photo?

• Reply 17 of 121

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Are those first 4 digits in the URL a year? Is this quite an old photo?

It was taken on the 566th day of the 35th month of 2012, so it wasn't THAT long ago.

• Reply 18 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It was taken on the 566th day of the 35th month of 2012, so it wasn't THAT long ago.

:) I was more thinking it could be the 35,566th upload of 2012.

• Reply 19 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

:) I was more thinking it could be the 35,566th upload of 2012.

It's the dumb worker's account number on weibo, I think.

• Reply 20 of 121
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wish I had one of those long TB cables!

Buy one and you will.