AppleCare+ extended warranty for iPhone, iPad coming to Europe - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly set to launch AppleCare+ extended warranties to Europe, bringing accidental damage coverage to the company's iPhone and iPad product lineups.

AppleCare

A new iPhone comes by default with a 1-year warranty covering defects, such as a broken home or lock button. But customers can choose to opt in to AppleCare+, which extends coverage to accidental damage for a 2-year period.

Until now, AppleCare+ has only been available to customers in the U.S. But Apple is now planning to provide its extended warranty coverage for both iPhone and iPad to customers in Europe, according to iGen.

AppleCare+ for iPhone will launch "soon," Wednesday's report revealed. Extended warranty coverage for iPad is apparently also in the works, but it's unknown if it will debut at the same time or "a little later."

The site speculated that AppleCare+ insurance for iPhone will be sold for just under 100 euros. In the U.S., AppleCare+ for iPhone costs $99 and must be purchased within 30 days of a handset purchase, with an inspection of the hardware at an Apple retail store.

The extended warranty coverage for iPhone and iPad includes the battery, included earphones and accessories, and the USB cable and power adapter. It also covers up to two incidents of accidental damage, in which the phone or tablet can be completely replaced for $49.

AppleCare+ also includes software support for two years, covering iOS, iCloud, wireless networking, and help with features such as FaceTime, iPhoto, iMovie and other Apple-branded apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Huh. Seems odd the EU wouldn't have already sued Apple and demanded this exist by default.

• Reply 2 of 9
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    "The extended warranty coverage for iPhone and iPad includes the battery, included earphones and accessories, and the USB cable and power adapter."

Is this saying that the included 1-year warranty does not cover these items?

If that is the case, then wow. I never realized. Can't imagine Apple not covering defective or early wear on USB adapters/cables.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Huh. Seems odd the EU wouldn't have already sued Apple and demanded this exist by default.

I was under the assumption that it already did per last year's lawsuits.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    In the EEC (the European Union) it has been CONSUMER LAW to provide 2 years guarantee on new goods.
    Apple has tried to get around this many times and has been fined several times for not honouring this legal requirement. These 2 years apply to all technical (electrical) goods where it is reasonable to expect a lifetime of two years or more.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    pmz wrote: »
    "The extended warranty coverage for iPhone and iPad includes the battery, included earphones and accessories, and the USB cable and power adapter."

Is this saying that the included 1-year warranty does not cover these items?

If that is the case, then wow. I never realized. Can't imagine Apple not covering defective or early wear on USB adapters/cables.
    "Extended" warranty refers to time of coverage not which items are covered. Accidental damage is not a claim against the extended warranty as it would not be a defect nor do you need to specify what portions are covered in that case. Repair against extended warranty claims are free. Repairs against accidental damage is not.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yes, Apple made a pizza of Italy.

I do wonder whether they play down/hide that standard 2 year EU consumer warranty again.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Until now, AppleCare+ has only been available to customers in the U.S.

That is incorrect. It has been available in Canada since launch. I have it and I got it with my iPhone 4.

• Reply 8 of 9
    The European "Guarantee Law" only calls for a warranty of 2 years for defects that have their origin be defective fabrication/design. The customer must prove that the defect is related to the production process /is inherid in the design after the initial 6 months after purchase.
    Most companies do not exerciise on this, though, but retired their own - often more favorable! - warranty programs for it.

Apple was fined for not displaying those 2-year EU-rights at all, giving the impression that their 1 year warranty or Apple care was the ONLY thing there was.

Just have sent a broken 3DS to Nintendo - guess what. They tell me they have a 1 year hardware guarantee on their website.....and their wording is not encuraging to send anything to them anyways. And they do not mention how they want to pay your postage (what they have to do if it is a warranty repair).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    "A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

It is from EU directive 1999/44/EC.