ESPN brings ESPNEWS and ESPN Deportes to iOS app and Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Popular sports entertainment outlet ESPN expanded its range of offerings on Apple devices on Wednesday, adding content from ESPNNews and ESPN Deportes to both Apple TV and the WatchESPN app for iOS.

Apple TV and iDevice-owning sports fans can now catch up on their favorite teams with ESPNNews' live coverage of a wide range of competitions. The addition of ESPN Deportes will bring Spanish-language sports broadcasts, complementing ESPN's current offerings. Beside ESPNNews and ESPN Deportes, the WatchESPN app will also feature content from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, and ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater.

The WatchESPN app is available as a free download from the iOS App Store. The 9.0MB app requires an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.

For the Apple TV, the addition of the new WatchESPN material is that device's second content update in as many days. Tuesday saw the introduction of a number of new channels, with Vevo, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Weather Channel, and the Smithsonian Channel all rolling out new portals for Apple's set-top box.

As is the norm with WatchESPN, the streaming content is available to users that get ESPN networks via an existing cable subscription. Customers of Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Verizon FiOS TV, Comcast Xfinity TV, Midcontinent Communications, Cablevision's Optimum TV, Cox, Charter, and AT&T U-verse are eligible to receive content through the app. NRTC customers should be able to access the service in the near future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I pay for Disney & ESPN through Direct TV and cannot access their programming via Apple TV or my iPad. Can anyone explain why?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    $$$. Can't disney charge directv more if they enable this feature?
  • Reply 3 of 16

I'm assuming that in the near future that Apple will be able to sell you access to these apps (if you are in the US ITMS).

This rapid increase in AppleTV apps makes me think the 'next' AppleTV will have a lot of new features, and one of them would be buying subscriptions through Apple.

I'm in the same boat... my city provides cable over FIOS, and they are not on the list of standard cable providers.

• Reply 4 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Photosmike View Post

I pay for Disney & ESPN through Direct TV and cannot access their programming via Apple TV or my iPad. Can anyone explain why?

Because 

1. DirecTV refuses to license with Apple

2. Apple should have refused all of that content unless they were willing to shut up and cut the cable/satellite connection entirely.

• Reply 5 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Please fix headline, it's 'Deportes', it's correctly spelled in the article.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Please fix headline, it's 'Deportes', it's correctly spelled in the article.

Deortes is for watching sorts.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    quinney wrote: »
    Deortes is for watching sorts.

All sorts of sorts I presume. :lol:
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Still not understanding the Watch ESPN app on ATV. It only works with limited cable providers, and you must sign in to watch the app. If you already are subscribed to ESPN with a provider, why would you switch over to AppleTV to watch it?
    Hey, just asking.
    I cut the 'provider-ties' earlier this year.
    Off-Air HD, Netflix and Hulu Plus. Much cheaper, and truly on-demand. :)
  • Reply 9 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because 

1. DirecTV refuses to license with Apple

2. Apple should have refused all of that content unless they were willing to shut up and cut the cable/satellite connection entirely.

It is absurd that any subscriber to a particular network cannot watch it on the iOS app for that network.  I am a DirecTV subscriber, and--if DirecTV is the one getting in the way of the licensing of something that I already pay for--ESPN (and other networks with similar apps) should pressure DirecTV to allow me to watch on whatever screen I prefer.  It should not matter if I use my TV screen, my computer screen, my iPad sceen or my iPhone screen to watch something I have paid for.

• Reply 10 of 16
    betsy2betsy2 Posts: 10member
    So UK customers yet again miss out on these 'Extra' channels!
    I get ESPN through a deal with BT sports to watch on SKY tv.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Lol! What's the ******** point. Apple is so US-centric its no longer funny.
    I have an Apple TV and the offering of movies leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully this will improve over time.
    My biggest gripe is that Australia doesn't appear to be Apple's radar. I also like French cinema, the selection available is very minimal. If Apple improved their services I would cut the cable TV link.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    DirecTV and all other cable and satellite companies have a general policy that sets access for the life of the current content provider in question. It doesn't matter if it's HBO or ESPN or RFDTV. In general, the policy is to stay within the boundaries of the current agreement and not get into renegotiating bits and pieces over a span of a couple of years.

If you want knowledgeable answers to questions regarding DirecTV, I'd suggest the dbstalk.com forums.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Carriage contracts are rarely renegotiated once settled. May not feel great to consumers; but, that's the way cable satellite content is produced.

It's early days in the ESPN/D* contract.
  • Reply 14 of 16

DirecTV does support the AppleTV, that is why HBO Go works with it.

The issue here is with ESPN.  They have to have an agreement with the channel provider that allows their customers to access Watch ESPN, and all the other streaming features.  ESPN refuses to sign agreements for this seperate from the overall agreement to carry their channels etc.  Since DirecTV and ESPN already have an agreement in place to carry the channels that was signed before Watch ESPN etc. was available it is not included in their agreement, so DirecTV customers can't access the content.  DirecTV wants Watch ESPN access, but since ESPN won't sign a seperate agreement for it they can't add it right now.  DirecTV customers have to wait until the current contract between ESPN and DirecTV expires and they sign a new one that will include Watch ESPN (rumor is that will be some time next year).

That said, depending on who you have internet service through you may still be able to access it.  For example I know Frontier gives access to Watch ESPN to all of it's internet service customers even if they don't have TV service through Frontier.  So you may want to try logging into the app with your internet service provider login and password (instead of your DirecTV login/password) to see if that gives you access.

For those of you without any pay TV service it sounds like ESPN is considering offering it's channels to other providers like Google and Apple that will include all of their regular channels and the Watch ESPN content.  However, you will have to subscribe to it and I would guess that subscription is probably going to run in the $25-30 month range (no deals have been made yet so it is hard to say for sure).

• Reply 15 of 16

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Apple is so US-centric its no longer funny.

A US company is US-centric; how profound.

And your thoughts on companies not editing contracts until their terms are over… sure explains why every other company is able to support the Apple TV, huh.

• Reply 16 of 16
    hfts wrote: »
    Lol! What's the ******** point. Apple is so US-centric its no longer funny.
    I have an Apple TV and the offering of movies leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully this will improve over time.
    My biggest gripe is that Australia doesn't appear to be Apple's radar. I also like French cinema, the selection available is very minimal. If Apple improved their services I would cut the cable TV link.

You know this is how companies are born. Someone sees a need and finds a way satisfy it. If Apple TV is lacking in Australia then someone should create their own streaming player and get the necessary programming.