Pioneer launching new DJ controller for iPhone and iPad, 'Pebble for your bike' hits Kickstarter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Pioneer Electronics announced on Thursday the coming availability of a new ultra-compact DJ controller that lets interfaces with Apple's iPhone and iPad, making it easier for owners of Apple devices to learn the ins and outs of the virtual wheels of steel. Meanwhile, the team at Wahoo Fitness is trying to make a "Pebble for your bike" device a reality on Kickstarter.

The new DDJ-WeGO2 features a range of advanced capabilities, but it is designed to be accessible to beginners. It comes loaded with numerous features like Jog FX, Pulse Control, and Virtual DJ Limited Edition DJ software for both Windows and Mac, as well as support for other software such as Algoriddim's djay.

The device connects to an iPhone 5 or iPad using a Lightning-compatible cable included with the controller. It also includes multicolor LEDs, built-in in and out audio ports, and USB power. Connecting the device and activating the djay 2 app will allow users to have instantaneous access and playback of music stored on an iPad or iPhone. The djay 2 app is available for $10 in the App Store.

At 14.9" x 8.2" x 2.5", and weighing less than four pounds without its stand, the DDJ-WeGO2 is also very easily transported. It also features a multi-purpose that helps to transport the device or to support an iPhone 5 or iPad. Pioneer's new iPad-compatible controller will be available in October of this year. The DDJ-WeGO2 will have a suggested retail price of $429.

Wahoo Fitness brings "Pebble for your bike" to Kickstarter

Wahoo Fitness is looking to bring to market a Bluetooth-enabled smart accessory in the vein of the Pebble Smartwatch. The RFLKT+ smart bike computer pairs with a user's iPhone using Bluetooth Low Energy, allowing it to feed data to the smartphone while the user is pedaling.

The RFLKT+ features full integration with Apple's smartphone, allowing for access to GPS, music, and app functionality. Users can customize it to show any number of data fields on up to eight screens, and it automatically updates itself with an iOS app.

Powered by a coin cell battery, the RFLKT+ gets a year of battery life with no recharging. ITs AND+ bridging functionality connects a user's iPhone directly to any ANT+ device in range, and it also includes a barometric altimeter.

Currently, the project is in the ninth day of a 31 day Kickstarter campaign. Out of a $100,000 goal, the RFLKT+ has raised $28,564 to date from 205 backers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    That looks totally stupid (the DJ controller). Why not just make an app? Why have an app that replicates the controls and then have the controls in front anyway, replicated in crappy plastic?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    That looks totally stupid (the DJ controller). Why not just make an app? Why have an app that replicates the controls and then have the controls in front anyway, replicated in crappy plastic?

You obviously have never dj'd or else you'd know it's impossible to do proper on a touch screen.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The RFLKT+ looks really promising. Read a few articles on it, seems to work way better than the crap Garmin puts out. For one thing, I really wish Apple would put ANT+ in the next iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

The RFLKT+ Smart bike computer taps into the power of your iPhone to provide you GPS data plus the functionality of your favorite App.

Quote:

You already ride with your phone in your jersey pocket that has GPS, social capabilities, and always on internet, why do you need to buy a GPS enabled bike computer?

Because constant use of the iPhone's built-in GPS receiver is going to drain its battery, at which point you'll have a stylish 4-ounce brick that won't be able track your location, let alone function as a phone?

As deficient as the Garmin Edge 510/810 are (in a number of ways), at least they aggregate the location data and stream it as data back to your iPhone in a battery-friendly way.

• Reply 5 of 7
    john.b wrote: »
    Because constant use of the iPhone's built-in GPS receiver is going to drain its battery, at which point you'll have a stylish 4-ounce brick that won't be able track your location, let alone function as a phone?

I'm left with, I don't know how much %, but still a working iPhone after an 8 hour bike ride. Never had it completely drain, even though I play music for the greater part of my rides.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm left with, I don't know how much %, but still a working iPhone after an 8 hour bike ride. Never had it completely drain, even though I play music for the greater part of my rides.

What app are you using for location tracking, Phil?  I've been using MotionX-GPS...

• Reply 7 of 7
    john.b wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

What app are you using for location tracking, Phil?  I've been using MotionX-GPS...

Cyclemeter. It's 'pretty much ok' (as a short answer). Using it on a 5, if that's relevant. Thanks for your app; I'll check it out

http://www.appannie.com/app/ios/cyclemeter-gps-track-cycling-running-and-mountain-biking/