Latest parts leak may show Apple's 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint scanner

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Newly revealed parts claimed to be for Apple's next-generation premium iPhone may show a fingerprint sensor component that is expected to be embedded beneath the home button.

Fingerprint

The new parts were published on Tuesday by Nowhereelse.fr. One of the components shows a round part that could be the fingerprint scanning hardware Apple apparently plans to feature in its so-called "iPhone 5S."

The newly revealed part is quite different ? and more complex ??than the home button component featured in the current iPhone 5. However, there is no identifying information that would confirm the part is necessarily for an Apple product.

Interestingly, previous leaked home buttons said to be for the "iPhone 5S" did not feature the same design. That's led to speculation that Apple may have excluded the new technology from earlier prototype builds of the device.

Last month, another part claimed to be for the "iPhone 5S" suggested a number of internal design tweaks, including a modified home button that could potentially accommodate the rumored embedded fingerprint sensor. Though internal changes are likely, it's expected that Apple's next iPhone will feature generally the same external appearance as the iPhone 5.

Perhaps the most convincing evidence for a fingerprint scanner in the next iPhone came from Apple's own iOS 7 beta, where references to a "Biometric Kit" were discovered. A string of text found in Apple's pre-release mobile operating system also described an image of "a person holding an iPhone with their right hand while touching the Home button with their thumb."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I'm excited for next week. I think this finger print scanner will have more purposes than simply unlocking the phone. Maybe we'll see additional biometric and health uses?
  • Reply 2 of 26

My only fear about this is that the button will accidentally get pressed while scanning (like if I'm in an app, it asks me to authenticate and the button press takes me out of the app) - though I'm sure Apple has thought of this.

• Reply 3 of 26

So it means that we also shall see a redesigned iPad smart cover in the near future.

• Reply 4 of 26
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

My only fear about this is that the button will accidentally get pressed while scanning (like if I'm in an app, it asks me to authenticate and the button press takes me out of the app) - though I'm sure Apple has thought of this.

You have to push pretty firm as it is to work the button- I doubt it'll be an issue even if nothing changes.

Hoping for a universally functional Passbook App.  Now what folder did I stash that away in.... 

• Reply 5 of 26
    blackbook wrote: »
    I'm excited for next week. I think this finger print scanner will have more purposes than simply unlocking the phone. Maybe we'll see additional biometric and health uses?
    That's a good point. What proportion of iOS users have ever lost there phone or had someone attempt to 'break in'? I have no idea, but would be surprised if it were more than 2-3%.

I'm not sure what else the scanner could do though, besides maybe a heart rate - maybe take thumb temperature? But of what use is that? I certainly hope they've included other uses.

It also seems to me that there has been an in characteristically large number if 'leaks' - for iPhone 4 I think I remember hearing very little until Gizmodo got their hands on one. Could Apple be purposely directing attention to certain features, to distract from some other product or feature?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by reydn View Post

That's a good point. What proportion of iOS users have ever lost there phone or had someone attempt to 'break in'? I have no idea, but would be surprised if it were more than 2-3%.

I'm not sure what else the scanner could do though, besides maybe a heart rate - maybe take thumb temperature? But of what use is that? I certainly hope they've included other uses.

It also seems to me that there has been an in characteristically large number if 'leaks' - for iPhone 4 I think I remember hearing very little until Gizmodo got their hands on one. Could Apple be purposely directing attention to certain features, to distract from some other product or feature?

Nope.  I doubt this will happen.  With that type of added functionality, an iPhone would become a medical device regulated by the FDA.  

• Reply 7 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Nope.  I doubt this will happen.  With that type of added functionality, an iPhone would become a medical device regulated by the FDA.  

Ha!  The last thing ANYone needs is the FDA reviewing their work... I'd avoid that like the plague.

• Reply 8 of 26

Originally Posted by Mikeelive View Post

So it means that we also shall see a redesigned iPad smart cover in the near future.

If the leaks about the stupid side bezels are true, it will have to happen immediately, along with a new Smart Case, since neither of the existing ones would be compatible.

• Reply 9 of 26
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Anyone else have gloves that don't show fingerprints through them?

Sure hope that can be turned off (I expect so).

• Reply 10 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Ha!  The last thing ANYone needs is the FDA reviewing their work... I'd avoid that like the plague.

I'd welcome it. With the crack down on the FDA and having an actual Ph.D run it as it should be--a scientific testing/certification lab--no longer rubber stamping patents for big Pharma and much more the FDA is slowly being recognized for it's original intent: a highest standards testing department that requires all corporations to comply.

• Reply 11 of 26
    How many times can ai get away with printing the same headlines.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    The best ever news report we've ever done. News about the fingerprint scanner with new rejigged wording and the greatest attention to detail ever. Incredible lol
  • Reply 13 of 26
    If the leaks about the stupid side bezels are true, it will have to happen immediately, along with a new Smart Case, since neither of the existing ones would be compatible.

Yeah I agree with you on that.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I stand by my opinion that the fingerprint scanner is not in the Home button, but the screen.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I stand by my opinion that the fingerprint scanner is not in the Home button, but the screen.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    blackbook wrote: »
    Maybe we'll see additional biometric and health uses?

I so freaking wish they put a bloody ANT+ sensor in there. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard could it be"

• Reply 17 of 26
    Deleted comment
  • Reply 18 of 26

What I mean is inexperienced users thinking they always need to "click" the button to interact with it.

• Reply 19 of 26
    I did some research on the history of the names of all the Apple products and the reasoning behind it. All Apple products start with the letter "i". So what does the "i", "s" and "c" mean in the iPhones ? Please input your thoughts on this piece.

http://www.takeaclick.com/2013/09/04/what-i-s-and-c-mean-in-the-apple-products/1052/
  • Reply 20 of 26
    So hindsight being 50/50 I'm guessing the button leaked in June was for the 5C.