Apple working on mystery product that may ship with new 17W power supply

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has been developing an entirely new 17-watt power supply intended to power a new product that will require slightly more juice than the current iPad but significantly less than the company's MacBook Air lineup, AppleInsider has learned.

Power Supply
Apple's current 12-watt iPad power adapter.

People familiar with the matter say Apple just recently began the process of procuring low-cost components for the new 17-watt adapter. And while the exact nature of its parent product remains somewhat of an unknown, at least one person familiar with adapter's design believes existing evidence points to be a portable product which could launch within the next 12 months.

It's also said that the new 17-watt adapter is not intended as an upgrade to an existing Apple product line, such as the anticipated fifth-generation iPad. That device is instead expected to ship with the same 12-watt adapter.

The fifth-gen iPad is expected to ship with the same 12-watt adapter. But Apple is also rumored to be working on a new product that will require slightly more power.To be clear, there is no indication that Apple is planning to launch such a device in the immediate future, such as next Tuesday's media event at the company's corporate headquarters. That keynote is expected to focus largely on the new fall 2013 iPhone lineup.

To put the rumored 17-watt power supply into perspective, the current Apple TV sips electricity through an internal 6-watt power supply, while the iPad ships with the aforementioned external 12-watt power adapter, and the iPhone comes with a 5-watt adapter.

Apple previously shipped a 10-watt USB wall adapter with its iPads, but upgraded to a 12-watt model that could recharge its tablets more quickly last fall. Since then, the 10-watt charger has been discontinued.

Power Supply
Apple's current 45-watt MacBook Air power adapter.

One insider who spoke with AppleInsider said they were given the impression the power supplies being ordered by Apple were for an external adapter, similar to the USB plugs used for the iPhone, iPad and iPod lineups.

Apple's AirPort Extreme router and Mac mini computer both previously utilized external power "bricks" to keep the size of the devices down. But in recent years, both products have been redesigned to use internal power supplies. The AirPort Extreme currently uses about 25 watts at 120 volts, while the Mac mini has a maximum load of 85 watts.

That means the only Apple products to currently use external power adapters are iOS devices, iPods, and MacBooks ? portable devices.

Exactly what the new 17-watt adapter could be used for remains unknown. But there have been recent rumors claiming that Apple was experimenting with releasing a larger iPad model with a 13-inch display.

With tablet sizes trending smaller, and the iPad mini now more popular than its full-size brethren, it seems unlikely that Apple would release a larger 13-inch iPad. Alternatively, that screen measurement would match the most popular screen size for Apple's MacBook notebook lineup, including both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. And a larger display could also justify the need for a higher wattage charger.Some recent rumors have suggested an iOS notebook or enhanced Apple TV could be in Apple's future product pipeline, but there's no indication that the announcement of such products is imminent.

For instance, well-connected insider John Gruber of Daring Fireball said in a post back in May that he doesn't expect Apple will ever release a touchscreen MacBook. However, he said he does "eventually" expect the company to release an iOS notebook ? something that might justify a 13-inch display.

Another potential product on Apple's horizon is a new television accessory akin to an enhanced version of the current Apple TV. TechCrunch columnist MG Siegler said in a recent appearance on Gruber's podcast that he has heard Apple could announce an unexpected television-related product as soon as this fall.

However, it does seem unlikely that Apple would ship a home theater product with an external power supply, as the 17-watt adapter is rumored to be. But a more functional set-top box would almost certainly require more power than the 6-watt integrated AC adapter currently found in the Apple TV.

iPad Prototypes
Prototype iPad designs with kickstand. | Source: AppleInsider Archives

Whatever the mystery product is, there's also a possibility that it could never see the light of day outside of Apple's development labs. The company's products are legendary for going through numerous internal revisions, and many potential devices are never shown to the public.

A rare glimpse at Apple's development process was given last year as a result of the company's patent infringement lawsuit with Samsung. Through court filings, photos of early prototype iPhone and iPad concepts showed radically different devices, including an iPad with a built-in kickstand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I know the obvious thought is TV related and it might well be .... Exciting times! So good in fact AAPL is sure to tank :(
  • Reply 2 of 99
    A 13-inch iPad? If the same one is the iPad Mini, this one would be an "iPad Maxi."
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Ah ha - the plug-in iWatch. Go as far as the cord allows.
  • Reply 4 of 99

power supply could be for the new wifi ac version of then Apple TV. No longer a built in PSU?

• Reply 5 of 99
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    power supply could be for the new wifi ac version of then Apple TV. No longer a built in PSU?

Zero chance. 6 watts upgraded to 17? And apple doesnt do externals except when they have to- even the new Airport extremes are internal now.
  • Reply 6 of 99
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Zero chance. 6 watts upgraded to 17? And apple doesnt do externals except when they have to- even the new Airport extremes are internal now.

Yup.

Only explanation is next gen iPad or Air.

• Reply 7 of 99

Maybe it is just an engineering exercise design to mess with our heads.

• Reply 8 of 99

13" iPad?

I would consider it for home/couch use. Just about everything I do on a computer is more "fun" using an iOS device! :)

It would also be advantageous to business for making presentations one-on-one or to a small group.

• Reply 9 of 99

For the Retina iPad Mini, is my guess.

• Reply 10 of 99
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yup.

Only explanation is next gen iPad or Air.

iOS notebook FTW!

• Reply 11 of 99
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    applezilla wrote: »
    For the Retina iPad Mini, is my guess.
    Why would the retina mini get this when the full size iPad only uses 12W?
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Combo Apple TV/Cable box for Time Warner customers.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    An iPad with Mac OSX?
  • Reply 14 of 99

The iPad uses a 12W adapter while the iPhone uses 5W. 12 + 5 = 17. Maybe this will be a new separately sold 17W adapter that can charge two (or even 3) iOS devices simultaneously.

Third parties have been offering this kind of thing but we all know what Apple thinks about third party power adapters.

• Reply 15 of 99
    I think the new iPads will charge faster because of this.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote from 6/2012:
    Originally Posted by scalpernt View Post

My prediction:  There will not be a TV, instead there will be a TV interface device that is a hybrid of the iPad and AppleTV, that will be specialized to connect to a variety of TV's via airplay.  It will feature Siri, and Apple will launch the device with several partners who will manufacture TV's that will connect to the device out of the box wirelessly.  You'll use it to control the TV, and play content on the TV, but it won't actually be used to play content on the device itself.  Then we'll all just use our iPad/AppleTV hybrid devices (iPlay?) to control our entire entertainment experience using our voices from the convenience of a couch from across the room.  It will replace all remote controls and the pitch will be that your TV no longer needs any of the other boxes connected to it.  The iPlay will play games, channel surf, play all sorts of content from iTunes/Netflix/etc., play slide shows from iPhoto, and can even pull up your calendar and email if you want it to.

Makes sense on a number of levels:

1. Market for people who already have flatscreens>People who are itching to replace their flatscreens

2. Lower price point = bigger market potential

3. Small device can easily integrate into Apple Stores

4. Solves the "Remote Control" problem - there is definitely a market for people who want a better way of controlling all their entertainment devices.  This thing would be the solution, and that would be it's primary selling proposition.

I imagine it will also require Apple to move the football forward on it's negotiations with Studios re: Video content.  But if that happens, I think this is where all the arrows seem to be pointing.

Mark my words: Apple is not getting into the TV business.

Maybe this.  My only change to the above statement is that I imagine it will have an HDMI dongle similar to chromecast that it wirelessly connects to, hence making Television manufacturing partners unnecessary at launch.

• Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scalpernt View Post

Maybe this.  My only change to the above statement is that I imagine it will have an HDMI dongle similar to chromecast that it wirelessly connects to, hence making Television manufacturing partners unnecessary at launch.

Oh, and the next iPad will also have all the same capabilities via an app, and you can just buy the dongle to connect it to any TV.

• Reply 18 of 99
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To put the rumored 17-watt power supply into perspective, the current Apple TV sips electricity through an internal 6-watt power supply, while the iPad ships with the aforementioned external 12-watt power adapter, and the iPhone comes with a 5-watt adapter.

Sadly, the iPad mini continues to ship with the 5-watt adapter.

• Reply 19 of 99
    Airplay speaker?
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Sadly, the iPad mini continues to ship with the 5-watt adapter.

agreed - something to leave unused in a cupboard - unusually cheap (poor) idea from Apple.