Apple seeds OS X Server Preview 7 for Mavericks, Windows Migration Assistant

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday sent an email to developers announcing the availability of pre-release versions of OS X Server Preview 7 for OS X Mavericks, OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion and the Windows Migration Assistant.

OS X Server Preview

While OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion build 12F36 was released on Wednesday, the other two seeds mentioned in Apple's email are new.

OS X Server Preview 7 for Mavericks is designated as build 13S357e and comes with focus areas similar to the recently seeded OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 7. Apple asks developers to concentrate their efforts on graphics, Wi-Fi, sleep from wake and iBooks PDF imports.

The latest Windows Migration Assistant reaches version 1.0.2.3, and is designed to help users migrate data from a Windows PC to OS X. The seed notes do not mention any major issues with the software.

Developers can download all three updates through Apple's Developer Center or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    Why has there been pretty much no coverage on the features we can expect to see with the server version of Mavericks? Given the availability of the betas it must be known what the new version is going to offer, but despite searching far and wide I have not found anything but cursory coverage.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Why has there been pretty much no coverage on the features we can expect to see with the server version of Mavericks? Given the availability of the betas it must be known what the new version is going to offer, but despite searching far and wide I have not found anything but cursory coverage.

Apple really never says much about OS X Server. This is really nothing new. I'm sure the new version will focus on making Profile Manager less shitty. Profile Manager is an abomination of should be called device management. 

On another note...why would you be testing waking from a sleep on your server? A server should never sleep. I don't know why sleep is even an option on a server. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    Any word on how tagging will work on the server version of Mavericks? Will it even be supported?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    "Apple really never says much about OS X Server.". Yes, but the developer preview is available and that must mean that its features are well known. There has been lots of reporting about the features of the client OS based on its developer previews, why not the same about the server version?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

On another note...why would you be testing waking from a sleep on your server? A server should never sleep. I don't know why sleep is even an option on a server. 

If you use a server as a NAS, OS X will let it sleep and wake automatically while maintaining network presence, thanks to Bonjour Sleep Proxy. It's a good feature for small offices, which is what OS X Server is designed for.

In the "real" server world, people have been pushing sleep as well. In a clustered or virtualized environment, you sleep computers when load is low and wake them when things pick up again. For a big data center, energy savings add up quick.