WSJ reaffirms 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor, 'iPhone 5C' left without

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Less than one day before Apple is expected to unveil its new iPhone lineup, a report from The Wall Street Journal reiterates rumors that the flagship "iPhone 5S" will carry a biometric fingerprint reader.

Home
A component claimed to be Apple's "iPhone 5S" fingerprint scanner. Picture via Sonny Dickson.

People familiar with the matter told the publication last week that fingerprint scanners will be built into the "more expensive of two iPhones" Apple plans to announce at a media event on Tuesday, seemingly confirming a long stream of rumors regarding the feature's inclusion.

The publication speculates that Apple's entry into the biometric security segment will spark interest from other handset makers to find similar solution. Another source claims at least one smartphone running Google's Android will incorporate fingerprint security, though it is unknown if the device will be marketed in the U.S.

Apple is expected to field a fingerprint sensor built by AuthenTec, a biometric security firm the Cupertino company purchased for $356 million in 2012, and plans to place the module under the iPhone's home button. While other handsets and computers have tried to use fingerprinting methods in the past, Apple's solution is thought to be much more intuitive and less prone to error.

Instead of swiping a finger across a small sensor strip, the AuthenTec package uses RF field attenuation to map a user's print. This static means of capture would allow iPhone owners to authenticate by simply pressing the home button as they would when waking the phone from sleep.

Most recently, rumors of a "silver ring" surrounding the "iPhone 5S" home button surfaced, with some claiming the part was added as an aesthetic flourish. AppleInsider, however, reported that Apple's patent applications suggest the component likely serves a functional purpose in the fingerprint sensor's design.

All should be revealed at tomorrow's event, which is scheduled to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be providing live coverage of the proceedings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I thought both would have the sensor if they were going to release an iWallet, on the logic that Apple would get a slice of all transactions and want as many devices to have the ability as possible. Now I'm thinking the iWallet comes next year.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

(...) While other handsets and computers have tried to use fingerprinting methods in the past, Apple's solution is thought to be much more intuitive and less prone to error. (...)

If AuthenTec's technology is truly unique and as reliable as it's being reported then this kind of tech will certainly keep Apple's competition at bay for a little while, at least.

• Reply 3 of 59
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Malaysia thieves steal finger

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm

• Reply 4 of 59
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Malaysia thieves steal finger

Willfully ignorant repost crap.

• Reply 5 of 59
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Essentially no news here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I thought both would have the sensor if they were going to release an iWallet, on the logic that Apple would get a slice of all transactions and want as many devices to have the ability as possible. Now I'm thinking the iWallet comes next year.

The fingerprint sensor will simply be a convenience because Apple can just assign a PIN for purchases on devices without fingerprint sensors.

On another note, I found this site from PayPal interesting:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/beacon

Apple unveiled "iBeacons" at WWDC and many here have thought payment should be done through Bluetooth rather than NFC. Maybe Apple is planning to use iBeacons for the iWallet and the FP tech. I doubt Apple is going to announce a partnership with PayPal, but PayPal seems to be stealing the Beacon idea from Apple.

• Reply 6 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope we get more than just unlocking the device. I'd love for there to be a surprise, something that didnt leak out that has people pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

So "S" is for Security and "C" for Color.

• Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope we get more than just unlocking the device. I'd love for there to be a surprise, something that didnt leak out that has people pleasantly surprised.

I'm thinking iWallet Payment is coming. Either through NFC or their new iBeacon APIs that they released during WWDC.

It'll take a lot of people by surprise that's for sure.

• Reply 9 of 59
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    shogun wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking the iWallet comes next year.

If the fingerprint sensor is real, iWallet could be rolled out at any time in an iOS update. Probably after enough retailers join the program or some other tipping point. Maybe for this holiday season? (And maybe only in Apple Stores at first, to help speed up all those millions of iPhone and iPad accessory "stocking stuffer" sales this winter.)
  • Reply 10 of 59
    A better headline would be "iPhone 5S fingerprint sensor rumor ricochets around the Web, AppleInsider calls it 'reaffirming'."
  • Reply 11 of 59
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

On another note, I found this site from PayPal interesting:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/beacon

Apple unveiled "iBeacons" at WWDC and many here have thought payment should be done through Bluetooth rather than NFC. Maybe Apple is planning to use iBeacons for the iWallet and the FP tech. I doubt Apple is going to announce a partnership with PayPal, but PayPal seems to be stealing the Beacon idea from Apple.

The "beacon" concept is really part of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). Apple has iBeacon, Sony has sBeacon... don't think it is "stealing" from Apple (or Sony for that matter), they just use the same technology to create little local network cells that do not require any configuration to connect users.

• Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So "S" is for Security and "C" for Color.

"C" is for Cheap  ;)

What I want to know is this:  

Will PersonA (an iPhone 5S user) be able to pick up PersonB's iPhone 5S and easily access his/her (PersonA's) iCloud data?

This would obviously require some portion of fingerprint data be stored on the iCloud servers, but it would be almost magic if people could hotswap on the same phone using just their finger.

• Reply 13 of 59
    shogun wrote: »

Very good point! Now how about the iPad?
  • Reply 14 of 59
    I think the silver ring is a metallic conductor that acts to detect finger press for HOME so to replace the short life span ductile button used on all existing iPhones and may as well roll out to iPads and iPods. Or might be like all who thinks its a RF field antenna to generate RF to detect finger print....or it could be use as both which could be hell for those who thinks of copying!
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think it is totally possible that some things might come with point updates to iOS 7, at least for tablets they really seem to struggle a bit getting it ready.

• Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

The "beacon" concept is really part of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). Apple has iBeacon, Sony has sBeacon... don't think it is "stealing" from Apple (or Sony for that matter), they just use the same technology to create little local network cells that do not require any configuration to connect users.

Oh, I didn't know about Sony's solution. Do they even have any BLE devices? 

Anyway good to know. 

One thing I like about PayPal's solution is retailers would only have to add a small USB dongle onto their computers to make the whole system work. Talk about ease of implementation.

If Apple could release such a system tomorrow that was as easy for retailers as it is for consumers, this could BE HUGE (bigger than the iPhone itself) for Apple, with likely massive implementation from retailers if it's easy and cheap (relative to the installation of NFC readers).

• Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spiced View Post

I think the silver ring is a metallic conductor that acts to detect finger press for HOME so to replace the short life span ductile button used on all existing iPhones and may as well roll out to iPads and iPods. Or might be like all who thinks its a RF field antenna to generate RF to detect finger print....or it could be use as both which could be hell for those who thinks of copying!

I was thinking something similar. What if the new FP sensing home button is a capacitive touch button and not a physical button?

That would help the whole device last longer.

• Reply 18 of 59
    I'd be happy with the phone if the main purpose of the fingerprint reader was not connected to identity or wallets at all.

For me, it would be great if I could register different functions to each of my fingers. For example, touching the sensor with my left index finger should unlock the phone and go directly to the camera application. Another finger would immediately call my parter.

That would be a killer application - and sell phones.

Anyone else agree?
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post

What I want to know is this:  

Will PersonA (an iPhone 5S user) be able to pick up PersonB's iPhone 5S and easily access his/her (PersonA's) iCloud data?

This would obviously require some portion of fingerprint data be stored on the iCloud servers, but it would be almost magic if people could hotswap on the same phone using just their finger.

You would not really have to store fingerprint data itself to do that (and before there is confusion, this sensor does not even copy a fingerprint, so it can't send a copy of it anywhere), you would just have to store an encoded, or better hashed, value generated from this unique data. Identification is really not the problem here.

The problem is rather if this concept makes any sense. Sure, you would (with quite a delay to download all the data for the other account, including the latest 1000 pics from photo-stream, all mailboxes etc.) have access to your iCloud data, but all non-iCloud apps on the phone would still show the other user's data. Every user change would consume ample bandwidth and local apps would still not be "secure". To make this (potential) feature useful, iOS would need multiple user accounts first, I guess.

• Reply 20 of 59
    kalvin1632 wrote: »
    I'd be happy with the phone if the main purpose of the fingerprint reader was not connected to identity or wallets at all.

For me, it would be great if I could register different functions to each of my fingers. For example, touching the sensor with my left index finger should unlock the phone and go directly to the camera application. Another finger would immediately call my parter.

That would be a killer application - and sell phones.

Anyone else agree?

With the nose also?