Apple worked on Google Glass-like device, decided it wasn't worth it

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tony Fadell, the ex-Apple executive who helmed the company's iPod engineering group, has revealed that his old employer prototyped augmented reality headgear, but ultimately chose not to pursue the technology.

Tony Fadell says Apple worked on augmented reality devices. | Source: Nest Labs

The devices were described by Fadell in an interview with Fast Company's Co.Design blog as "visors" that make the wearer feel as though they are "sitting in a theater." He went on to imply that the prototypes were successful, but Apple chose not to go forward with them because the company had its hands full with other projects

"We had such success with the things we were already doing that we didn?t have time," Fadell said.

In addition to the augmented reality devices, Fadell revealed that Apple also experimented with new renditions of older technology like video cameras and remote controls. While the company has not released any of these rumored devices as standalone products, it is possible that lessons learned from the experiments have been helpful as Apple developed new technologies like the iPhone's video capture system and Apple TV's remote control.

Glass

Fadell is known as the "father of the iPod" and served as a senior executive at Apple from 2001 through 2008, first as the head of the iPod & Special Projects group and later as senior vice president of the iPod division. He is currently CEO of Nest, a manufacturer of connected thermostats, which he cofounded with former Apple colleagues.

In recent years, Fadell has been somewhat candid about his time at Apple and his thoughts on the company as it exists today. Last year, after iOS chief Scott Forstall was ousted from Apple, Fadell said he felt Forstall "got what he deserved."

Though he no longer works at Apple, Fadell has a continuing relationship with the company, as his Nest thermostats are sold in the company's retail stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37

Of course it wasn't! Oh, that's great. All this pre-keynote news is wonderful.

• Reply 2 of 37
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I'm glad Apple decided to not pursue the Glass type design, they would have been the laughing stock if they did. I still can't figure out what the big deal is with Google Glass, I think it's a joke. I'm sure it might make some money, but I wouldn't buy the product. I think it's too dumb and not something I want to be seen using. there are enough distractions as is.
  • Reply 3 of 37

I like this part from Gadi Amit:

Quote:

The guy next to me was working on NeXT for Steve Jobs. I saw three identical mice on his desk, and I couldn't tell the difference between them, so I asked. He said, "Can't you see?" And he pointed to the bottom plate of the mouse. One was 1 millimeter thick, one was 1.5 millimeters, the other 2 millimeters. And then I saw the difference--and it transformed my worldview about details in design.

• Reply 4 of 37
    And this is Apple's strength; they're proud ogf the products they [I]didn't[/I] release.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...I take this with a grain of salt. Note, Fadell didn't say Apple was working on something, he said he built a prototype. Did Fadell have some secret team in the iPod division that was working on these prototypes? And really, they didn't build it because they didn't have time? Somehow I'm a bit skeptical about his claim.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Of course, they did. Otherwise, how the heck google came up with their own?

As always, Apple does it first ... google, samsung and the rest run to their copy machines department.
  • Reply 7 of 37

Now we know where Google copied the Google Glass concept from.  

• Reply 8 of 37
    "It's easier to say Yes and throw a beta tag on it, then it is to say No and not have a we're-first product to brag about." - excerpt from The Google Way, a fictitious book by Sir Gay Bryn
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

"It's easier to say Yes and throw a beta tag on it, then it is to say No and not have a we're-first product to brag about." - excerpt from The Google Way, a fictitious book by Sir Gay Bryn

"There are a thousand betas for every 'yes'."

• Reply 10 of 37

iVisor

• Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

Now we know where Google copied the Google Glass concept from.  

Another product concept taken from Apple when Eric Schmidt was on Apple's board

• Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

vs laser focus and doing those things you do really well, which SJ tried to impart to other tech company founders. How many have followed his advice?

• Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm glad Apple decided to not pursue the Glass type design, they would have been the laughing stock if they did. I still can't figure out what the big deal is with Google Glass, I think it's a joke. I'm sure it might make some money, but I wouldn't buy the product. I think it's too dumb and not something I want to be seen using. there are enough distractions as is.

Personally I disagree (about Google Glass). I don't own one, but if it (or similar products) get cheap enough I'll own one for photo and video capturing alone. There are plenty of times where I will see something that would be a great photo or video and by the time I pull out my iPhone the moment is gone. Just being able to wink or whatever and get the shot would be great.

• Reply 14 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'll be surprised if Apple didn't submit a patent application for any of them. I wonder if Geordi Laforge is listed anywhere.

And here ya go. [SIZE=2](Can't do this with a Bing search ;) )[/SIZE]

https://www.google.com/patents/WO2008046075A9

https://www.google.com/patents/US8212859

Konica Minolta actually applied for a patent on an implementation that actually is somewhat similar to Google Glass IMO, and predating Tony Fadell's submissions. I believe Apple references them as a matter of fact.
    https://www.google.com/patents/US20060120247

Interesting stuff, particularly another Apple patent submission in 2012 for a concept device along the same lines as Google Glass but trying to claim a priority date for Fadell's old 2006 patent app. Hmmmm. . .
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Of course it can be perceived as a laughable product but it is more about the first iteration of a concept than it is about the current design. Whether it is smart contact lenses, watches or more regular looking smart glasses, the wearable and integrated wear shall become more and more ubiquitous.

• Reply 16 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

I'm glad Apple decided to not pursue the Glass type design, they would have been the laughing stock if they did.

But Apple WAS the laughing stock when they released the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad. Don't you remember? It was all over the tech media. The laughing and snickering was loud and vocal. Steve Ballmer had a big belly laugh over the iPhone. There's even a video of it.

Apple is used to being the laughing stock of the tech world. Happens every time they release a product. Just watch today's event and you'll see.

• Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Another product concept taken from Apple when Eric Schmidt was on Apple's board

Google earns money from publicity.
    Publcity stunts is on Google´s blood, i am sure Google knows as much as Apple thjat it does not worth it physicaly as a product.

I wonder if The BBC, The Guardian or The HuffingtonPost will post this.
  • Reply 18 of 37

What?  Apple didn't see the value in making people look like morons walking around with shit stuck to their face? Say it isn't so.

• Reply 19 of 37

Yeah, much better to work on iPhone 4 v4.0 (aka iPhone 5S) than something new.

Not an Apple hater... just want a darn 5" iPhone... dang it!

... And frustrated.

• Reply 20 of 37
    Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

Yeah, much better to work on iPhone 4 v4.0 (aka iPhone 5S) than something new.

Shh. No lies, only dreams now.