Apple to launch iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch on Wednesday, Sept. 18

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, iOS 7, will become available to download for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users next Wednesday, Sept. 18, the company announced.

Craig Federighi, senior vice president of Software Engineering at Apple, announced the official launch date as part of his company's iPhone event keynote. The presentation was made at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

iOS 7 will be available for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4; fourth- and third-generation iPad, and iPad 2; as well as the fifth-generation iPod touch and newer. It will be a free download.

iOS 7 marks a major departure for Apple from previous versions of the operating system, sporting a new look and design that represents the biggest change to iOS since its debut in 2007. The new design aesthetic, which eschews the skeuomorphic look of previous versions of iOS, is said to be the brainchild of Apple design chief Jony Ive. After being named Senior Vice President of Design ? a position that sees him heading up both hardware and software design ? Ive brought Apple's hardware and software teams together with the goal of better integrating the two operations. The "flat" aesthetic of iOS 7 is one outgrowth of Ive's efforts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Anyone waiting for 7.1 and any kinks to have ironed out before upgrading?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Anyone waiting for 7.1 and any kinks to have ironed out before upgrading?

Point ONE? Ew. 7.0.1 is as late as anyone should wait.

• Reply 3 of 10

I was hoping 7 would be out today.  Can't wait for itunes radio

• Reply 4 of 10
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Anyone waiting for 7.1 and any kinks to have ironed out before upgrading?</span>

Point ONE? Ew. 7.0.1 is as late as anyone should wait.

Sorry, yes, 7.0.1 was my intended question.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    That is why you have developers who test the iOS and provide with the feedback that helps better the software before it is released to the general public. I would jump on the upgrade right away (I already have it on my iPhone and it looks awesome)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    i'm waiting to hear how slow it makes people's iPhone 4 model...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dysamoria wrote: »

And we'll just respond that they're slow to upgrade...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

The beta has been around for months. You'd think that if you were going to hear that, you would have by now.

Either listen harder or stop trolling?

• Reply 9 of 10
    The new iOS looks gorgeous, can't wait to install it, too. All this week is about to be the toughest in terms of waiting. :-)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Lol you think waiting a week is tough? Try knowing you can get the 5s but having to wait until Christmas. I'm dying!! At least I get iOS 7 along the wait