10% bigger battery in iPhone 5s to boost talk, LTE use times by 2 hours

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Revamped internal components in Apple's iPhone 5s have allowed the company to cram in a slightly larger battery, resulting in higher projected usage times ? even with the more powerful A7 processor.

Battery

Apple has advertised that its new flagship iPhone 5s will boast up to 10 hours of talk time on 3G, and up to 10 hours of LTE Internet use. Both of those numbers are two hours greater than the estimates Apple provided for its predecessor, the iPhone 5.

Remaining battery estimates are largely the same: Apple estimates the iPhone 5s will offer 8 hours of Internet use on 3G, 10 hours on Wi-Fi, 10 hours of video playback, and up to 40 hours of audio playback.

But the iPhone 5s does gain an additional 25 hours of estimated standby time over the iPhone 5. According to Apple, the iPhone 5s can be in standby mode for up to 250 hours before a recharge will be necessary, compared to 225 hours for the iPhone 5.

The improvements are made possible, in part, by a slightly larger battery in the iPhone 5s that offers nearly 10 percent more capacity. Filings with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, detailed by AnandTech on Wednesday, reveal that the iPhone 5s will sport a 5.96-watt-hour battery with about 1,570 milliampere-hours, compared to a 5.45 Whr, 1,440 mAh battery in the iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 Teardown
The iPhone 5 battery. Source: iFixit

Battery performance and size gains have also been realized in the iPhone 5c over the iPhone 5, with the new, colorful iPhone sporting a 5.73 Whr, 1,507 mAh battery. Apple advertises that the iPhone 5c offers up to 10 hours of talk time on 3G, up to 250 hours of standby time, and up to 10 hours of LTE or Wi-Fi Internet use.

Battery estimates provided by Apple were conducted in August using preproduction iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c units and software. In Apple's tests, features such as auto-brightness and "Ask to Join Networks" are turned off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    ...and yet we still are gonna hear battery complaints....
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Lies. Straight up lies. I love Apple, but I've found that their battery claims with iPhone 5 to be total BS. Everyone I know with an iPhone 5 complains about how it bleeds battery life even when its in sleep mode, even with auto brightness off, and with brightness at 40%. Now with iOS 7, I'm getting 3-4 hours of battery life. Awful.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    My 5 doesn't bleed battery at all.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Lies. Straight up lies. I love Apple, but I've found that their battery claims with iPhone 5 to be total BS. Everyone I know with an iPhone 5 complains about how it bleeds battery life even when its in sleep mode, even with auto brightness off, and with brightness at 40%. Now with iOS 7, I'm getting 3-4 hours of battery life. Awful.

Yes, if you have 100 apps all running location services constantly, you will experience shorter battery life, but that's true of any phone. If you're getting 3-4 hours, you've either set it up so the phone is constantly searching GPS/WiFi/BT/etc or you have a defective phone. Either way, the problem can be fixed.

Independent tests show that Apple's estimates are quite accurate.
  • Reply 5 of 67

4S and 5 are both really poor for battery life, my old 4 was much better. The biggest benefit for Apple producing a bigger screened iPhone would be so they can fit in a larger battery. Having a phone that can last all day shouldn't be too much to ask.

• Reply 6 of 67
    I know this is kinda off topic of this article, but was wondering how early on the 20th I should be able to order the 5s on Apple's website. If I live in the central time zone, does that mean by 2am when its technically the 20th in California that Apple will start taking orders?
  • Reply 7 of 67
    @AndrewofArabia...My 5 has great battery life, no complaints here. Check to see what could be draining your power in the background.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Originally Posted by BubbaSmith View Post

I know this is kinda off topic of this article, but was wondering how early on the 20th I should be able to order the 5s on Apple's website. If I live in the central time zone, does that mean by 2am when its technically the 20th in California that Apple will start taking orders?

You'll want to pull an all nighter and an all page refresher on the 19th.

• Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

Maybe instead of spending your time posting your personal unsubstantiated opinions on Internet forums, you spend some time to learning how to better manage the resources on your iPhone?  If you think your iPhone is defective, you should seek help from an Apple Genius for possible replacement, otherwise you're just blowing wind here.  I have a sports car that has an EPA MPG rating of 20 miles to the gallon.  I CAN get 20 MPG if I drive 'reasonably and carefully', but when I'm having 'fun', it only gets about 8MPG.  The fact that I get 8MPG when having 'fun' doesn't mean it's broken or mis-represented by the manufacturer.  Running a smart phone, a computer or managing fuel consumption in a car is about managing resources.

• Reply 10 of 67

You probably need to contact Apple. I've never had that kind of battery time.  My iPhone 4S is pretty old and still lasts me through the day UNLESS I'm always surfing and using it.

• Reply 11 of 67
    I am an Apple fanboy (to qualify), but I hate to say, from the very first week of use with the iPhone 5 last Fall, my battery usage was not up to my expectations. All I want is for the battery to last for one full day, about 16 hrs with basic use (not intense usage). I know how to conserve by shutting down notification services for many apps, turn BT off, shut off all apps working in the background, etc, etc. My phone barely makes it to about 8pm before dying sadly. I was at the Genius Bar 3 weeks after I bought the 5 and after examination, they told me that is the nature of the 5... high battery usage.
    Unfortunately I have turned to the alternative of a battery case for evening use.
  • Reply 11 of 67

Rightfully so, travelling with the iPhone is a terrible experience. I shouldn't have to buy a Mophie to get me through the day. 

• Reply 13 of 67
    Originally Posted by tmayes86 View Post

I shouldn't have to buy a Mophie to get me through the day. 

You don't.

Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

I am an Apple fanboy (to qualify), but

You've just invalidated what you're trying to claim.

• Reply 14 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've just invalidated what you're trying to claim.

Why and how? He's both an Apple fan but feels he's not getting the battery life he should be getting getting. How does one invalidate the other? Maybe he just needs guidance or education. 

• Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

You don't.

Yeah.... ya do.

• Reply 16 of 67

Yeah.... ya do.

Patently false. Why do you continue to lie?

• Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:

Patently false. Why do you continue to lie?

Okay professor, so how can I get through my long travel days without my phone dying?

• Reply 18 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Low battery life is either A) a defective phone so get it fixed or B) (and the most common) A lot of "vampire" apps running constantly in the background, location services being a big one of the usual suspects.

That even when in sleep mode is the big clue: you're paying for running all those apps 100% of the time, running code draws power, that's the nature of the game. Look under "Privacy", "Location services" and see all the little arrowheads next to apps you have "on": all those are constantly poking at your cell radio and/or gps radio. Power draws.

Also Bluetooth? Off unless you're using it. Aren't in a 4G or LTE area: turn it off. Same with WiFi radios: off unless you're in a hotspot.

Needing to stream video for eight/twelve hours running? I'd say choose AMTRAK. Gotta love seatside power. :)

More here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
  • Reply 19 of 67

Okay professor, so how can I get through my long travel days without my phone dying?

Define travel.

• Reply 20 of 67
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

You don't unless you use a battery case or some other method to recharge the phone. Personally I went with the battery case from BoostCase and it does the trick. Great case for protection and more than double my battery life. Without my boostcase my iPhone would be useless most days by around 5PM. Don't listen to him he doesn't even have an iPhone 5 and just likes to talk smack.