Hands-on with the new Grey, Gold & Silver iPhone 5s with leather cases

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Color is a defining feature of the iPhone 5c, but its buttoned-down, upscale iPhone 5s sibling gets color options of its own, paired with a series of custom leather cases.

iPhone 5s

iPhone 5s in Grey, Gold & Silver

iPhone 5s

The new iPhone 5s is visually nearly identical to the design of the current 5, although the black version (above) is now called "space grey" and sports a lighter, dark-silver finish contrasting with black glass surfaces on the front and back.

iPhone 5s

Along with a silver edition with white glass surfaces and bright silver trim, a new gold version (above) pairs white surfaces with metallic gold trim, with a finish that appears to subtly shift between a tinted silver into a rich gold as the device is tilted, as shown in the video below.

iPhone 5s

iPhone 5s leather cases

Apple also offers a series of five leather form-fit cases ($39 each) for the three metallic finishes of iPhone 5s, in yellow, beige, blue, brown, black and Product(Red).

iPhone 5s

Like the silicon cases for the iPhone 5c, the leather iPhone 5s cases have a protective microfiber inside to protect the device's finish. Apple describes the construction of the new covers as a "single piece of leather is wrapped around a sturdy frame using a process that combines hand craftsmanship and precision machining."

The new cases cover up the shiny chamfered edges of the device, leaving only the metallic finger detection ring and and white or black face showing.

Behind the leather and shiny metal highlights, iPhone 5s packs a series of technological leaps, considered in the accompanying segment outlining its new 64-bit A7, its M7 motion coprocessor, new camera features & Touch ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    I think the 5s is going to be absolutely great, but I'm not sure about those cases. The colourful cases from the 5c would look good, IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The 5c cases reportedly fit the 5s. Though I'm opting for a VAJA as I need a bit of screen protection from the other things in my pocket that one of the flip type cases provides. I've found the bunker total protection cases are just too heavy for EDC. Great for backpacking though.

I can see the colors being a big hit, much in line with all of iOS 7.
  • Reply 3 of 85

????

Unicode character: Face Savoring Delicious Food should suffice for how I feel about this design.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    Ugh that is such a boring shade of blue. Why couldn't they have gone with the dark blue shade of the leather they chose for the iPad Smart Cover?
    Apple needs to fire whomever it is that's so in love with washed out pastels.
  • Reply 5 of 85

That champagne gold is friggin' nice.

...snarkish remark: DED should re-title to "The 25 second hands on review".

• Reply 6 of 85
    Unicode character: Face Savoring Delicious Food should suffice for how I feel about this design.

I thought I'd get this gray one myself as well, but after seeing this (finger print scanning) video of a gold one in a red case I might reconsider.

[VIDEO]

PS why is DED putting his name over other people's video?
  • Reply 7 of 85
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

PS why is DED putting his name over other people's video?

Hey, yeah. Already has an AppleInsider watermark; why does it need another?

• Reply 8 of 85
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Ugh that is such a boring shade of blue. Why couldn't they have gone with the dark blue shade of the leather they chose for the iPad Smart Cover?

Apple needs to fire whomever it is that's so in love with washed out pastels.

Jon Ive? 

:rolleyes:

I'm definitely getting an iPhone 5S, and I'm disappointed to say that I will ALSO definitely be getting one of these cases. Because, they are A) form fit unlike anything else you'll find from anyone, and B) have a microfiber lining that will actually protect the phone.

I truly feel like the design of the iPhone 5 and 5S is failure of form over function. Meaning, the device is simply too fragile. The beautiful chamfered edge dents & chips very easily, exposing RAW bare metal beneath. It becomes sharp, and prevents you from continuing to use it bare.

The painted steel band is likewise easy to scratch off the paint. When the iPhone 5 came out, and there were absolutely positively NO cases available in the Apple Store for the first few weeks, I picked up a bumper at one of those stands outside the store. Well, the bumper promptly trapped dirt and grit which rubbed a good portion of the paint off the steel band.

I am still very disappointed with the construction of the iPhone 5 (and 5S)...but I'm slightly encouraged by Apple building a case designed to properly protect it.

To tell the truth, I wish they would have used the 5C design instead, made a few more colors, and called it a day. That design is so much for practical for a smartphone.

I don't care how "pretty" the iPhone 5(s) is anymore...it isn't a practical design....its intentionally designed to be beautiful Day 1, and hideous by Day 365, so that you're sure to upgrade to a pretty new phone.

My 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S all looked brand new on the day I stopped using them, and never were they kept in a case.

• Reply 9 of 85

That champagne/gold model has grown on me.  Looks pretty damn nice.

• Reply 10 of 85
    After using a case that has a stand (Zerochroma), I can never go back to using plain case.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Anyone here plans on buying a 5S and if so what color will you choose?

• Reply 12 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Jon Ive? 

I'm definitely getting an iPhone 5S, and I'm disappointed to say that I will ALSO definitely be getting one of these cases. Because, they are A) form fit unlike anything else you'll find from anyone, and B) have a microfiber lining that will actually protect the phone.

I truly feel like the design of the iPhone 5 and 5S is failure of form over function. Meaning, the device is simply too fragile. The beautiful chamfered edge dents & chips very easily, exposing RAW bare metal beneath. It becomes sharp, and prevents you from continuing to use it bare.

The painted steel band is likewise easy to scratch off the paint. When the iPhone 5 came out, and there were absolutely positively NO cases available in the Apple Store for the first few weeks, I picked up a bumper at one of those stands outside the store. Well, the bumper promptly trapped dirt and grit which rubbed a good portion of the paint off the steel band.

I am still very disappointed with the construction of the iPhone 5 (and 5S)...but I'm slightly encouraged by Apple building a case designed to properly protect it.

To tell the truth, I wish they would have used the 5C design instead, made a few more colors, and called it a day. That design is so much for practical for a smartphone.

I don't care how "pretty" the iPhone 5(s) is anymore...it isn't a practical design....its intentionally designed to be beautiful Day 1, and hideous by Day 365, so that you're sure to upgrade to a pretty new phone.

My 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S all looked brand new on the day I stopped using them, and never were they kept in a case.

Yup... it appears that Sir Jony likes pastels(and there is no one to say no to him)... IMO eewww.

And yes - my 4S, no cover, in my pocket with keys etc, for two years... not a scratch. Its a rock, perfect size etc. IMO- It will go down as the pinnicle of build standard for durability, etc.

Im really debating to upgrade to 5S just for the concerns you mentioned. But I dont think they 'intentially' designed it to wear prematurely. Its a fall out of Sir Jony's thin and light mantra(and antenna gate).... but alas tech will be by passing the ol 4S... so choices to make .
  • Reply 13 of 85
    For those of you that have had the privilege to touch the 5S, please verify for me that it is exactly the same chassis as the 5. Also, are you saying that the 5C will fit into a 5 and 5S case?
    This would be really great news, for I have a credit card case from ibillfold2 that attaches to their iphone wallet and I really want to keep using it. I also am definitely getting a 5S. My JB 4 is really slow.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is why Apple should sell a transparent case instead of colors ones for the 5S

• Reply 15 of 85
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Will the case fit into the dock?
  • Reply 16 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jjthomps View Post

That champagne/gold model has grown on me.  Looks pretty damn nice.

My thoughts exactly. I have a black 4s, contract is up in Oct. 

I like the "sporty" look of the 5c colors...and it does look more durable than the glass/aluminum backs of the previous models.

I don't really like cases. 

However, for an extra $50/$2/mo. (trade-in value of 4s +/- $150) I think I'm going with the "state of the art" gold 5S. Faster processor, better camera, better flash, new M7 chip, and the fingerprint tech. :)

It's a Rolex in a sea of Timex's-WSJ

• Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Will the case fit into the dock?

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt it would fit in a dock with a case. Sorry.   :)

• Reply 18 of 85
    drewys808 wrote: »
    That champagne gold is friggin' nice.
    ...snarkish remark: DED should re-title to "The 25 second hands on review".

Gold/White/Product Red(TM) case looks nice.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pmz wrote: »
    Jon Ive? 

What painted steel band? The 5/5S is aluminum and glass.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    This is why Apple should sell a transparent case instead of colors ones for the 5S
    If they can make one that doesn't yellow. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5 clear gel case. The previous 2 started to turn yellow after a while.