Apple releases OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion maintenance update, fixes Mail and file transfers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released the latest 10.8.5 maintenance update for its current Mountain Lion operating system, bringing a host of bug fixes and performance improvements including a fix for Mail.

After months of beta testing, Apple has finally released the latest OS X 10.8.5 maintenance update, bringing fixes to Mail, file transfers over 802.11ac Wi-Fi and other minor bugs. Performance enhancements are also included for large file transfers over Ethernet and improvements that were first rolled out with the MacBook Air Software Update 1.0 in July.

From the release notes:
About the update

The OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 Update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac. This update:
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from displaying messages
  • Improves AFP file transfer performance over 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • Resolves an issue that may prevent a screen saver from starting automatically
  • Improves Xsan reliability
  • Improves reliability when transferring large files over Ethernet
  • Improves performance when authenticating to an Open Directory server
  • Addresses an issue that prevented a smart card from unlocking preference panes in System Preferences
  • Contains the improvements included in MacBook Air (Mid 2013) Software Update 1.0
Further details regarding the changes can be found on Apple's Support Website, while security notes can be found here.

The update is recommended for all users and can be downloaded via Software Update.

Alongside the Mountain Lion update, Apple released security updates for OS S 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion, as well as RAW camera file support for a few new cameras such as the Leica M and Canon EOS 70D. The new software is also available for download via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Yippee ki-yay!
  • Reply 2 of 46
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Sounds like they've made progress on persistant the MacBook Air Wifi issues. Here's hoping.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

I can confirm that the Arabic Text Exploit/Bug that crashes Safari has been fixed in 10.8.5 - that line of text does not crash Safari anymore, running OS X 10.8.5. This crashed my machine on 10.8.4 when I viewed this text in Safari or Messages. Apparently the bug was in WebKit, and now the bug is fixed.

• Reply 4 of 46
    I hope this'll be my shortest use of an OSX (point point) update in history.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Anyone know why my comments don't show up half the time?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Yeah bring on 10.9...
  • Reply 7 of 46
    mutoneon wrote: »

Because you're on mute? Sorry, couldn't resist. No, no idea. I do have a missing multi and/or thumb-up button issue for the past 3 days..maybe it's related (?)
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Because you're on mute? Sorry, couldn't resist. No, no idea. I do have a missing multi and/or thumb-up button issue for the past 3 days..maybe it's related (?)

Mute?.......it got better

• Reply 9 of 46

This makes me wonder what were the pdf problems that developers were supposed to look for, and were they ever fixed. Also what improvements have been made to the graphics — another area that was meant to be tested.

• Reply 10 of 46
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yippee ki-yay!

You forgot the best part...... :-)

• Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

Maybe you press the submit button half the time.  

• Reply 12 of 46
    I have a 2012 Mac Mini and today when I downloaded the Mountain Lion update to 10.8.5,
    now I can't open about 1/3 to 1/2of my applications including Safari, TextEdit and Security Preferences
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andybosik View Post

I have a 2012 Mac Mini and today when I downloaded the Mountain Lion update to 10.8.5,

now I can't open about 1/3 to 1/2of my applications including Safari, TextEdit and Security Preferences

Have you tried repairing permissions? And also verifying your disk.

• Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andybosik View Post

Go to Apple's support site or call Apple make an appointment if they can't help you over the phone. I just did the update on a 2012 iMac and everything seems to work just fine.

• Reply 15 of 46
    eluard wrote: »
    Have you tried repairing permissions? And also verifying your disk.

Yes, I did that. Thanx though!
  • Reply 16 of 46
    drblank wrote: »
    Go to Apple's support site or call Apple make an appointment if they can't help you over the phone. I just did the update on a 2012 iMac and everything seems to work just fine.
    ok I guess I'll have to do that or wait till 10.9 comes-out which will be hopefully soon!
  • Reply 17 of 46

Maybe it's me but 10.8.5 seems faster. Probably me, it's me right? 

• Reply 18 of 46
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You forgot the best part...... :-)

I was just being considerate in case any fucking children might be reading.

;)

• Reply 19 of 46

Slowed down my 2008 Mac Pro, better get a 2013 Mac Pro :-Q

• Reply 20 of 46
    darendino wrote: »
    Slowed down my 2008 Mac Pro, better get a 2013 Mac Pro :-Q

that's actually not a bad idea, 'to get permission from the wife'