Online iPhone 5s orders open at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Sept. 20, in-store sales begin locally at 8 a.m.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While it won't be available to preorder, the iPhone 5s will hit Apple's online store at 12:01 Pacific next Friday, Sept. 20, while Apple's retail stores will begin selling the device when they open at 8 a.m. local time.

Preorder

Apple announced more details on the availability of the iPhone 5s in an email sent out to customers Friday morning. Customers hoping to get the iPhone 5s on its launch day next Friday will presumably need to line up at an Apple Store or one of the company's carrier partners.

That's different from the iPhone 5c, as Apple and carriers have just begun taking preorders for the multi-colored handset. Those who order the lower-end device can have it delivered to their home on its launch day next Friday.

The lack of preorder availability for the iPhone 5s has led to speculation that inventory could be severely constrained for the upcoming launch weekend. In previous years, users were able to preorder Apple's latest flagship handset ahead of time, and available inventory sold out in a matter of minutes.

Well-connected analyst Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities revealed last month that the iPhone 5c would out-ship the iPhone 5s in the current quarter. According to Kuo, the iPhone 5s has faced apparent production issues associated with the new Touch ID fingerprint scanner located under the home button.

Apple is reportedly on track to ship 8.4 million iPhone 5c units in the September quarter, but just 5.2 million iPhone 5s units. As production ramps up, Kuo expects Apple to grow iPhone 5s shipments to 28 million units in the holiday 2013 quarter, while the iPhone 5c will reach 18.7 million units during that three-month frame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    If you order at 12:01 a.m.- when will it be available to pick up?
    That day , that weekend?

(fixed for Flaneur's confusion)
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Will they offer same day in store pick-up if you buy online at 12:01 Pacific next Friday, Sept. 20?

That way you won't waste time in line if you're not sure you'll get the carrier/color/capacity of the 5S you want.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    pazuzu wrote: »
    If you preorder at 12 Am- when will it be available to pick up? That weekend?

It's not a preorder, so it arrives whenever it says it will arrive when you place your order.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

It's 12:01am in the UK as well.

• Reply 5 of 42
    It's not a preorder, so it arrives whenever it says it will arrive when you place your order.

Arrive? It's already there- Apple always has a specific batch set aside for on-line orders. The question is- Is that batch available day 1?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Prediction: Gold will be the most popular color.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Arrive? It's already there- Apple always has a specific batch set aside for on-line orders. The question is- Is that batch available day 1?

Try to be more clear when you're attempting to confuse people. First you call it "pre-order." Now it seems you're talking about on-line ordering for in-store pick-up.

You don't seem to mean what is normally meant by on-line ordering, that is, ording one for shipment.

Who told you they set aside a batch for on-line orders for in-store pick-up?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I'm leaning towards the gold.

Although, everytime I see it, it makes think of Catherine Zeta-Jones for some reason? :)
  • Reply 9 of 42
    flaneur wrote: »
    Try to be more clear when you're attempting to confuse people. First you call it "pre-order." Now it seems you're talking about on-line ordering for in-store pick-up.

You don't seem to mean what is normally meant by on-line ordering, that is, ording one for shipment.

Who told you they set aside a batch for on-line orders for in-store pick-up?

Apple told me. You're just confused- period.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I could be wrong but I don't think in-store pick necessarily means they ship it to the store. If they have the item you want already in the store you could pick it up in a few hours. In the case of the 5s, they will have all different varieties in supply that day so It a question of whether they will set some aside for orders placed online that morning considering the demand.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    I could be wrong but I don't think in-store pick necessarily means they ship it to the store. If they have the item you want already in the store you could pick it up in a few hours. In the case of the 5s, they will have all different varieties in supply that day so It a question of whether they will set some aside for orders placed online that morning considering the demand.

That's exactly how it works- there is no confusion.
    I was told by Apple that part of their shipments is designated specifically for online in-store pick ups only.
  • Reply 12 of 42

If I stand outside a London Apple Store at 8am next Friday in the pouring rain, will I be able to pick up an *unlocked* iPhone 5s, or are the unlocked ones only available via the online store/app?

• Reply 13 of 42
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

If I stand outside a London Apple Store at 8am next Friday in the pouring rain, will I be able to pick up an *unlocked* iPhone 5s, or are the unlocked ones only available via the online store/app?

Ask Apple.

• Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

Not if you forget an umbrella.

• Reply 15 of 42
    I'm leaning towards the gold.

Although, everytime I see it, it makes think of Catherine Zeta-Jones for some reason? :)

Could be that little golden button down there.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    darkpaw wrote: »

That would seem to be the case, just like FR & DE

• Reply 17 of 42
    I wonder if AT&T retail stores will get the 5S on the 20th. I always find that less people go to these, so it's easier to get in and out without dealing with a line.

I don't mind missing out on the clapping and high fiving.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Could be that little golden button down there.

Great now I have another image I can't get out of my head! Thx! :)

• Reply 19 of 42
    freddych wrote: »
    I wonder if AT&T retail stores will get the 5S on the 20th. I always find that less people go to these, so it's easier to get in and out without dealing with a line.

I don't mind missing out on the clapping and high fiving.

I was in AT&T store in NYC last night and they told me they would that 8AM.
    I earn double iTunes points at Apple store so I will only buy at Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Australia wil have them first.

Might go pick one up while most of you are still asleep.