Help this old iMac to connect please!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I have 2 old white 2006 iMacs, a 24" and a 20"

In a recurrence from a week or so ago, the 24" woke up with no connection. After a reboot, it was OK. But today, the same thing. Network diagnostics said to reboot the modem, which I did although it seemed fine. Rebooted the iMac as well. Still nothing. Went into the settings, said no IP address, but on further poking doesn't see any WiFi networks at all. Says ethernet cable is disconnected although I plugged and replugged it.

Hmm. Connected the 20"-WiFi and Ethernet are fine (I removed the cable from the 24" and plugged into the 20")

Uh oh.

Seems to me like something in the hardware is getting fritzy??? Any ideas? Otherwise, the machine seems to run fine. I do NOT want to get a new, reflective-glass-screen iMac, since this thing has a window behind it. And I'm not really too keen on getting a used one from eBay and tricking it out like this one...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Go to the Apple and click on About this Mac.
    Then click on More Info.

Have a look in the left side of the pane for Network. Then look for ethernet and or wireless. See if any info is displayed in the right panes. You may have to click on different headings for the devices to report.
    You're trying to find out if your card/s are working.
  • Reply 2 of 2

if all else fails, leave the ethernet plugged into the 20", then set it to share it's internet connection over wifi. (It will now act as a WiFi base station, and share the internet it gets over ethernet.) ... Now set the 24" to log onto that WiFi station you just created.  Now both Macs have internet access once again.