Mac/PC networking

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to network a PC running Windows 98 to a Mac running OS X 10.2 , sharing an HP office jet D145 printer/fax machine, through a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 autosensing hub. What would be the best resources on the web to figure out how to do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>I need to network a PC running Windows 98 to a Mac running OS X 10.2 , sharing an HP office jet D145 printer/fax machine, through a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 autosensing hub. What would be the best resources on the web to figure out how to do this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A couple of things:

1) For file sharing, you shouldn't need to do anything at all. The Mac will see the PC just fine. The PC seeing the Mac will be a little more troublesome, but it can be done with no external applications.

2) Printer sharing, if the printer being shared is connected to the PC, can be a pain--if not impossible. If the printer is ethernet-ready/capable, I don't think you'll have to configure anything other than printer drivers on the Mac. I could be wrong, as I've never done this particular kind of thing.

You should try <a href="http://www.macosxhints.com"; target="_blank">Mac OS X Hints</a> for help. Make sure you check their forums.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. It's not for me, I avoid WIndows like the plague, but it looks like this is going to be one big pain in the ass.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Might not be TOO BAD ... I've got OSX and WinXP networked and it wasn't to bad to set up ...

Of course, 98 could be a whole different deal.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    95's doable (at least, I did it once, but then I had to change some settings and hadn't written down what I'd done the first time...), so 98 shouldn't be any great deal more hassle.

As for the printer, yeah, printing over TCP/IP requires absolutely nothing more than drivers on each machine, and they need never know who's printing when.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Take a look at these sites:

<a href="http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/macfsrf.html"; target="_blank">Access PC from Mac</a>

<a href="http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/pcfsrf.html"; target="_blank">Access Mac from PC</a>

(I hope I have these labelled correctly).

These sites helped me a lot connecting with w2k. They only discuss xp but you can probably figure it out for another version of w.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kumrabaikumrabai Posts: 66member
    Originally posted by midwinter:

2) Printer sharing, if the printer being shared is connected to the PC, can be a pain--if not impossible. If the printer is ethernet-ready/capable, I don't think you'll have to configure anything other than printer drivers on the Mac. I could be wrong, as I've never done this particular kind of thing.

[quote] <hr></blockquote>

I agree about the printer problem - I have a printer attached to my peecee, which I try and use on my Mac over the network. I've never been able to see the printer on my mac.