Sprint to offer $100 device credit for ported numbers on iPhone launch day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sprint on Monday announced a promotion set to kick off on Sept. 20 that will give a $100 credit to new customers porting their phone number from another carrier, applicable to the iPhone 5s and 5c which are slated to go on sale that same day.

Sprint Deal
Source: Sprint

With two-year contract pricing for the 16GB iPhone 5c set at $99, Sprint's offer covers the entire cost of the handset, making the unit basically free-on-contract. As noted by TUAW, the deal is good for any new phone, including the iPhone 5s.

Only new customers porting numbers over to Sprint can take advantage of the offer, which runs through Oct. 10.

From Sprint's website:
Port-in Instant Credit: Offer ends 10/10/2013. Up to $100 instant credit applied towards purchase of qualifying Sprint phone or smartphone. May require port-in from an active number (wireless or landline) and activation at time of purchase. Excludes tablets, upgrades, replacements, and ports made between Sprint entities or providers associated with Sprint (i.e., Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, Sprint As You Go and Assurance), all Corporate-liable and plans $10 or less.
The announcement follows a rumor from earlier today that claimed Sprint would be initiating an early upgrade program just in time for the new iPhones' rollout on Friday.

Under the so-called One Up plan, the carrier will allow existing subscribers to nab a new iPhone with no money down. The handset's cost is then divided into monthly payments to be paid over the contract's two-year term. If the offer is activated this Friday, all four major U.S. cellular carriers will have similar early upgrade programs that allow users to spread a phone's up-front cost across the life of their subscription plans.

It appears that Apple's latest iPhones have fueled aggressive plays for subscriber share in both domestic and international markets. A report on Friday, for example, noted Japanese carriers are embroiled in a pricing war that has seen the country's three major carriers, NTT DoCoMo, SoftBank, and KDDI, put up the iPhone 5s for free with a two-year contract. Some speculate the deals are a result of the nation's largest carrier DoCoMo's announcement that it would be carrying the iPhone for the first time ever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Smart! :)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Plus....Unlimited data that will load..in time................………
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Let the iPhone price wars begin! :)

So, you can now get an iPhone 5c for free, by moving to Sprint... Apple keeps their revenue, and the pipe owners eat the abandoned margin...
  • Reply 4 of 18

DON'T DO IT!  Unlimited dial up is not worth the money.  AVOID SPRINT AT ALL COST.  I was suckered into using their service when the iPhone was released and let's just say that I had the two most horrible years of my cell phone service life!  Their data speed is crawling dial-up speed.  You'll get like... 0.05 Mbps the same speed as a 56K modem...

• Reply 5 of 18
    And this means Apple's sales will drop and Apple is dying!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Lordy, Lordy does this ever bid well for our fav fruit company. McIntosh's will soon be out and diggins will be plentiful as will its relative (sort of), the new iPhone. Yum!

The new take by Apple is understood by few analysts, our AI being one of them. T-GAAP being another.
  • Reply 7 of 18

This will be good for 5S sales. Probably won't help the 5C though.

• Reply 8 of 18
    I have a sprint IPhone 5 and I am on a 3G signal. Sprint's LTE service is nonexistent and shameful. I also have a 4S on AT&T that is way quicker.
  • Reply 9 of 18

I've been with Sprint for almost 4 years now, and I've no problems with them at all. It's nice not having to worry about tacked on expenses for data, txt, etc....It took them awhile to roll out their LTE network, however, but now I'm finding it in more and more places. I spend most my time in Manhattan and Queens, NY.

• Reply 10 of 18
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

DON'T DO IT!  Unlimited dial up is not worth the money.  AVOID SPRINT AT ALL COST.  I was suckered into using their service when the iPhone was released and let's just say that I had the two most horrible years of my cell phone service life!  Their data speed is crawling dial-up speed.  You'll get like... 0.05 Mbps the same speed as a 56K modem...

Nonsense. With ALL carriers your mileage will vary and it can even vary within a few miles of your house. You can't judge an entire network based off your personal experience. Now I will agree that 3G can be like dial up and that can apply to Verizon as well since they also use CDMA. It also sounds like you didn't have LTE in your city or possibly your phone. But if you live in a city serviced by LTE then it is very fast. You also have to understand that this year they have been doing a far bigger upgrade to their towers than the other carriers so there were growing pains for sure. But for anyone that lives in a city with LTE by Sprint their service is fantastic. What good is LTE if you are limited to just a few GB's a month? I easily use 10 GB or more a month on Sprint and pay half the price of Verizon or AT&T. Win Win

Verizon is also as bad as Samsung about hiring shills to disparage other carriers so take note of the post count of people that bash Sprint. 

• Reply 11 of 18
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    I use Sprint and their data speeds are almost as bad as their customer service. I can't wait to get away from them when my contract is up.

P.S. Anyone who disagrees with me is obviously a Sprint shill. /s
  • Reply 12 of 18
    zeromeus wrote: »

I've been with Sprint since the 4S launched. I have to say before I upgraded to the 5 in February this year, my service SUCKED! I have LTE everywhere I travel and it's fast so I'm content with Sprint. I plan to stay with them and wait for the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I use Sprint and their data speeds are almost as bad as their customer service. I can't wait to get away from them when my contract is up.

P.S. Anyone who disagrees with me is obviously a Sprint shill. /s

Ha ha. Anyone with bad service absolutely should switch and I never said otherwise. I switched from AT&T for the exact same reason their coverage at my house sucked. Just out of curiosity has Sprint rolled out LTE to your city yet? Here in Georgia we were among the very first markets to get LTE and it was like night and day from the old 3G CDMA speeds. You can check here also for better info than even the official Sprint coverage map on proposed LTE schedules because it is run by users. 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

• Reply 14 of 18
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Just out of curiosity has Sprint rolled out LTE to your city yet?

I'm in the Twin Cities metro and it's really hit or miss here.  One block has it most days of the week and others don't at all.  Their LTE is really fast, but It's mostly 3G speeds for me.  I spend most of my time on Wi-Fi or I'd be pulling my hair out dealing with their 3G speeds.

• Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I'm in the Twin Cities metro and it's really hit or miss here.  One block has it most days of the week and others don't at all.  Their LTE is really fast, but It's mostly 3G speeds for me.  I spend most of my time on Wi-Fi or I'd be pulling my hair out dealing with their 3G speeds.

This should explain what is going on there. This is the very last page but go back a few.

• Reply 16 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Someone should walk in and ask "How much do I get to stay with you?"  Companies never/rarely give loyalty incentives to their loyal customers.

• Reply 17 of 18
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Someone should walk in and ask "How much do I get to stay with you?"  Companies never/rarely give loyalty incentives to their loyal customers.

I’ve asked that of Verizon at least once a year since the first-gen iPhone was released. “You get to pay more than you’ve been paying” is their answer.

The telecoms have no concept of loyalty, even for decade-old customers. Betray them all at the first cheap whore who fits your bill better.

• Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Sprint has given me anywhere from a $50 to as much as $100 credit for renewing my contract. I called last week and they applied a $50 credit which helps a bit.