Apple continues decade of domination in personal computing customer satisfaction rankings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The American Customer Satisfaction Index's 2013 rankings are out, and Apple has maintained its stranglehold on the top spot of the personal computing sector for the tenth year in a row.

Source: ACSI

Apple's customers continue to be the happiest of any major personal computer maker, according to the 2013 edition of ACSI's long-running "Household Appliance and Electronics" consumer satisfaction benchmark study. The Cupertino company brought home an ACSI score of 87, up one percentage point from the 2012 study.

To compile an ACSI satisfaction score, a number of metrics are compiled from evaluations of each company, including customer expectations, perceived quality, perceived value, customer complaint and customer loyalty. Evaluation indexes are based on a 100 point scale, with metrics being "self-weighted."

Overall customer satisfaction with personal computing devices ? a category in which ACSI includes laptops, desktops, and tablets, though notably not smartphones ? came in at 79, down 1.3 percent from a year ago. Among PC manufacturers, only HP joined Apple in besting the benchmark score, while Dell, Toshiba, and Acer rounded out the top five spots in the rankings.

"Customer expectations of computer products are high, and the industry is under pressure to keep up with ever-growing demand for devices that are faster, more powerful, and offer innovative and improved features," notes the report.

ACSI cautions that while Apple enjoys strong satisfaction ratings, they may not positively correlate to sales as the tablet market approaches saturation. However, the study notes, Apple's iPads still account for 80 percent of all tablet usage in the United States.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Samsung can't copy that
  • Reply 2 of 23

What the heck is the point in having an “overall” score?!

Also, the non-Apple scores have always seemed to be weighted far higher than they otherwise should have. You know how women say that childbirth is painful but you don’t remember the pain of it? That’s how I envision PC users having to deal with problems on their machines as they arise; when survey time comes, they just don’t remember how bad it was.

• Reply 3 of 23

Nice job Apple!

• Reply 4 of 23
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

You can spend some thousand $ and get a very decent winlet PC, but if you go for almost anything below $1000 (as most winlets are at this range) you won't get much for your money.  (I know 'cause I have had some!) But when you get an Apple, it always ends up with satisfied costumers. Build quality is always good at Apple, while it might or might not be in all the others as they have just too many products starting from $300!!

• Reply 5 of 23
    Hmmm. I don't recall Samescum ever making that list.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Excellent point. I've thought of this many times. If they had a truly working brain in the first place they probabbly wouldn't have bought a PC.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Though I am very appreciative of Apple's products, and very happy to have dumped the Windows PC for the entire lineup of Apple products, one should take these ratings with a great deal of skepticism.

The survey and contents are proprietary. What are they measuring, how are the measures weighted, what is the reliability of the measures used, how do the measures compare to measures and weights used by decision makers when choosing products, what are the characteristics of respective decision makers?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The competition is crushing Apple, just like Android is crushing iOS. 

Apple has a score of 87 for 2013.

The competition has a combined score of 390, and 390 is way bigger than 87.

A score of 87 isn't looking too hot anymore, compared to the combined forces of the competition. It's like when people compare the iPhone to the combined total of every Android phone manufactured in the world by all manufacturers that aren't Apple.

Apple needs to step up it's game. I might have to short AAPL tomorrow. 

Seriously speaking, once again, Apple demolishes everybody else whenever it comes to customer satisfaction! People are willing to pay for quality! Why waste your money on cheap crap from somebody else, when it's not built as well, it's not designed as well, it's not going to function as well and it will make the user less happy?

And some people dare to call Apple users sheep? I call most Apple users damn smart, because they know how not to waste their money on garbage.  I submit that those people who are not Apple users, and especially those who like to throw around words like "sheep" or "isheep" are for the most part cheap, broke, whiny, jealous, miserable rodents who have incredibly low standards.

I wouldn't mind if Apple releases a limited edition $1,000+ iPhone. Let's widen the gap even further. Don't listen to the whiners and analysts who constantly whine that Apple needs to make certain products cheaper.

• Reply 9 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

And I have one more point to make.

This is why you'll never see people lining up for products from most other manufacturers.

Apple has been around for decades, and people trust Apple's products. Many Apple customers have multiple Apple devices.

If I want a new iPhone, there's no need for me to test it out or see it in a store. I can order it blind, without ever having used it and I know that I'll be getting a kick ass phone. The same goes for most of Apple's other products.

When you have companies like Samsung, that just fling shit against a wall, to see what sticks, there's no way that people have the same kind of trust. These other companies have not earned the same level of trust from their customers, and they never will, because, frankly speaking, most of what they make is complete garbage.

• Reply 10 of 23
    It's too bad they didn't breakout Microsoft. I'd love to know where the Surface put them. ;)
  • Reply 11 of 23

Agreed Apple ][.

• Reply 12 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And I have one more point to make.

This is why you'll never see people lining up for products from most other manufacturers.

Apple has been around for decades, and people trust Apple's products. Many Apple customers have multiple Apple devices.

If I want a new iPhone, there's no need for me to test it out or see it in a store. I can order it blind, without ever having used it and I know that I'll be getting a kick ass phone. The same goes for most of Apple's other products.

When you have companies like Samsung, that just fling shit against a wall, to see what sticks, there's no way that people have the same kind of trust. These other companies have not earned the same level of trust from their customers, and they never will, because, frankly speaking, most of what they make is complete garbage.

Couldn't agree with you more.  When Fandroids talk about having "choice", I tend to decipher it as them trying to find the least crappy of the crap.  They can spin it in any way they want since most of them are in a permanent state of denial, but that's the hard truth and they need to get over it.

• Reply 13 of 23
    ceek74 wrote: »
    Hmmm. I don't recall Samescum ever making that list.

You gotta make PCs first to be on that list. They make a few laptops but no desktops.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    apple ][ wrote: »

I would've agreed with you before the SGS 3 came out, but since then Samsung has been releasing devices pretty much like the previous versions so that someone that owned a SGS 3 knew what to expect from the SGS 4, now the other manufacturers definitely change from model to model YoY.
  • Reply 15 of 23

How did HP improve their customer satisfaction 1% selling Windows 8 for the past year???

• Reply 16 of 23
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You gotta make PCs first to be on that list. They make a few laptops but no desktops.
    What the heck is the point in having an “overall” score?!

Also, the non-Apple scores have always seemed to be weighted far higher than they otherwise should have. You know how women say that childbirth is painful but you don’t remember the pain of it? That’s how I envision PC users having to deal with problems on their machines as they arise; when survey time comes, they just don’t remember how bad it was.

Maybe because the way you envision PC users is heavily biased and hasn't got much to do with reality..?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Surprised Samsung was not on the list.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Actually. They do make some AiOs.

But the list is flawed in general. Lenovo, for example, recently took No.1 spot from HP in PC sales, is the only PC company with growth in the last 12 months, and is in general highly respected in Windows world, yet it is not on that list..?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post
    Maybe because the way you envision PC users is heavily biased and hasn't got much to do with reality..?

There’s a reason Windows is universally hated, you know.

• Reply 20 of 23

OVIOUSLY paid for by $AME$CUM

There is no way. NO WAY that they beat apple in smarphone satisfacton

http://www.theacsi.org/news-and-resources/press-releases/acsi-press-releases-2013/press-release-smartphone-brand-study-2013