European Online Apple Stores go offline ahead of iPhone 5s and 5c midnight sales [update: 5s supply

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's online storefronts recently went down in Europe in preparation of what is expected to be a deluge of orders for the company's new iPhone models, or more specifically the iPhone 5s.

Update: European online sales have started, and it appears stock for the iPhone 5s is just as low as Australia, with delivery dates showing 7 to 10 days.

Online Apple Store
Screenshot of French Online Apple Store's "We'll be back" sign.

At around 11:30 p.m. local London time, the UK Online Apple Store was taken down ahead of iPhone 5s and 5c preorders, with the site scheduled to be up and running for orders at midnight.

While customers have had a week to preorder the iPhone 5c, Apple chose to not do the same with the 5s, suggesting the device may be affected by supply constraints. A recent report claimed inventory of the flagship device will, at least in the U.S., be "grotesquely" low.

It remains to be seen how many iPhones Apple will sell over launch weekend, though analyst estimates range from 5 million all the way up to 8 million combined unit sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Cmd+R, Cmd+R, Cmd+R!!! :D

• Reply 2 of 9
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i spoke with three different apple reps today ... one in a retail store, and two supervisors at -800-my-apple. each of them referred to the 5s orders being taken tonight as "pre-orders".
  • Reply 3 of 9
    64GB Gold iPhone 5s's on the Online apple store in Australia have just slipped from shipping "7-10 days" to "October"!

Selling fast!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    In the UK all phones say

Dispatched: 7- 10 business days Delivery: 07 Oct, 2013 - 10 Oct, 2013

Probably better to get them this way than queuing in a carrier/apple store

So the "Order" is actually a "Pre-Order"
  • Reply 5 of 9
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

64GB Gold iPhone 5s's on the Online apple store in Australia have just slipped from shipping "7-10 days" to "October"!

Selling fast!

But the gold ones will never sell. Isn't that what those "experts" told us?

• Reply 6 of 9
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Fail! I tried to order an iPhone 5s in the online Apple Store and it said I couldn't because the billing address I use at AT&T is a P.O. Box and I have no option to change it and no option for store pickup.

• Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Fail! I tried to order an iPhone 5s in the online Apple Store and it said I couldn't because the billing address I use at AT&T is a P.O. Box and I have no option to change it and no option for store pickup.

That's an AT&T issue. I had that happen to me with the iPhone 4. You have to change your billing address with AT&T, then you can order online. 

• Reply 8 of 9

I ordered a Silver 64GB 5s with blue leather case around midnight using the Apple Store App on my 4S in the UK and delivery says 7-10 days. :\

Seems like a pre-order...  but still very excited and can't wait to get it!! :D

No more passcode lock! Yay! 8-)

• Reply 9 of 9
    pjwilkin wrote: »
    In the UK all phones say

Dispatched: 7- 10 business days Delivery: 07 Oct, 2013 - 10 Oct, 2013

Probably better to get them this way than queuing in a carrier/apple store

So the "Order" is actually a "Pre-Order"

It's obvious that Apple didn't have enough inventory to stock out all stores, the apple shop near me sold out @ 8.40am , 40 minutes after opening, you can't tell me they sold many in 40 minutes., last year the same shop had enough stock to last all day with massive queues