Something is taking up 300gb of storage on my Macbook Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited November 2014

Hey all, 

I've got an early 2011 15 inch macbook pro, that seems to have a bit of an issue. I just did a full de-clutter and backup of my hard drive, and upon checking what my storage situation was like, I noticed something weird. My model came with a 500 gb hard drive, but when I look in System Information, is says something is taking up 300gb of space on my disk. Its categorized as "Other" which is really strange. I'm running photoshop CS5, Final Cut, and Microsoft Office, but there's no way they could take up that much space. 

Here's what I'm seeing.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I do a lot of heavy photo and video editing work on this machine, and am pretty computer savvy, but this has me stumped. I've tried scanning the web but I haven't been able to find anything that's similar to what I'm experiencing. The computer is running fine, with no issues in regards to its performance. I'd really like to find out what's eating up that space, and how I can free it up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Video editing work? ... wouldn't take long at all to eat up 300GB of space with a video project.

(and as a project tied to an editing program, it'll show up as "other" rather than in the "Movies" category on that graph.)

• Reply 2 of 4
    that's what I find strange. Usually it'd fill up a disk drive really quickly, but I always immediately back up anything video related to a 3TB desktop drive I have, as to not bog down my machine. 
  • Reply 3 of 4

Use http://download.cnet.com/OmniDiskSweeper/3000-18512_4-6226.html  to figure out what is eating space.  That utility is free.

• Reply 4 of 4

me i have a windows desktop witch is really bad but i connected it with my mac so now i can just store all of my files in my windows desktop and just get it back when i need to. If you have another computer you want to do it on i can more then willing to help you connect just give me a email and [email protected]. thanks for reading