Boeing launches airplane maintenance iPad apps

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Airplane manufacturing giant Boeing is debuting new iOS apps in Europe this week aimed at getting airline mechanics faster access to parts and maintenance information using Apple's iPad.

Following more than a year of development in cooperation with a number of airlines, Boeing on Tuesday announced the release of a suite of new iPad apps centered on airplane maintenance, CNET reports. Boeing hopes the apps will help maintenance crews quickly find and fix issues to get airplanes back into operation with a minimum of delay.

The apps will debut at a European aviation conference this week in London. The past year of development for the app suite was aimed at ensuring that each has a user interface ideal for its purpose and will maximizes usability.

Included in the new maintenance apps are a toolbox mobile library providing access to maintenance documents, hyperlinks between multiple manuals and airline content, a parts almanac that contains information on an airline's most current inventory and other features. Alaska Airlines technicians estimate that using the iPad apps will save 4,000 pieces of paper per day.

Boeing is just the latest aviation company to integrate Apple's popular tablet into its operations. In 2012, American Airlines pilots started using iPads as flight bag replacements throughout all phases of flight, saving the company an estimated $1.2 million per year on fuel costs due to the decreased weight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,255member
    What? No windows or android app! How can that be?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rob53 wrote: »
    What? No windows or android app! How can that be?

I know! Don't they know the iPad is a toy that can't have 2 windows open at once like the Zune RT?

/s
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Please hire a proof reader. "and will maximizes usability."

Great to see Alaska Airlines alone will save 1/2 a tree a day by using 4,000 pieces of paper a day. (I'm assuming standard copy paper.)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Great. Now my private 727 jet will have less downtime.

• Reply 5 of 13
    I wouldn't use saving trees as a reason to go electronic. More paper, more trees cut down. More trees cut down, more trees grown. I would use speed and reliability as a reason to go electronic, much more quicker to update than paper, and paper sucks when you try to increase the font size.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    applguy wrote: »
    Please hire a proof reader. "and will maximizes usability."

Great to see Alaska Airlines alone will save 1/2 a tree a day by using 4,000 pieces of paper a day. (I'm assuming standard copy paper.)

The important savings is the reduction of jet fuel. Their paper is probably recycled so they wouldn't be saving that many trees. The other saving is a reduction in medical costs from having to carry several heavy binders of paperwork.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    With every major corporation that adopts iOS, Apple gets closer to a Windows-like hegemony in the handheld world. Not sure when we reach that tipping point, but it's gotta be close. By the time the Surface or Galaxy Tab gets their acts together it'll be too late.
  • Reply 8 of 13

Its great to see the iPad becoming adopted in more industries. Definitely would be a time saver for the mechanics.  Probably increases the quality of the maintenance and airplane safety too.

• Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

The important savings is the reduction of jet fuel. ...

How so? (maintenance manuals are not carried on the airplane, so they don't add weight and increase fuel burn, like navigation charts are supposed to do.)

• Reply 10 of 13

How so? (maintenance manuals are not carried on the airplane, so they don't add weight and increase fuel burn, like navigation charts are supposed to do.)

You're correct. My comment was in reference to the Alaska Airlines statement.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macster84 View Post

...  Probably increases the quality of the maintenance and airplane safety too.

Paper manuals vs. iPad has no effect on the quality of the maintenance or airplane safety whatsoever.

• Reply 12 of 13

What I meant was having instant access to the manuals (and possibly service records) could improve quality of the maintenance and safety of the plane, vs. just assuming whatever part in question looks okay.

• Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macster84 View Post

... vs. just assuming whatever part in question looks okay.

because that is EXACTLY how maintenance gets done on a Boeing 737! ;)