iMovie - locking audio to video?

zozo
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
this seems like SUCH an obvious funtion, yet I cant seem to find how.

I have DEMUXED some MPEGs so I have separate audio and video tracks.

I add them to iMovie (damn you iMovie for not importing directly) and so have to sync the A/V. No probs.

BUT I had to add a video track and some transitions, and the Audio track does NOT stay with the video. So off I go to re-sync 20+ audio tracks with video. And, noooo, of course yu cant select more than one track at once and move them all at same time.

SO.... is there anyway to lock certain tracks with other? OR is this a clever ploy from Apple to make me upgrade to Final Cut Express???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    uhm.. you should be able to lock the audio to the video. there is an option for that.

move the audio track to the position you want it, then select the audio track and go look in the menubar. it's there.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I'm not sure if this will do exactly what you want, but once you've got it all synced up, click on the audio clip, then go to the Advanced menu and select Lock Audio Clip at Playhead. Doesn't quite do what it says, as it locks the audio relative to the video clip, so if you move the video, the two stay pinned together.

And to select multiple clips, do a shift-click, then you can move them around to your heart's content: locked audio will go with them as well.

I did a similar thing for 30 minutes of a friend's band playing, where I didn't have a complete video track to sync up: utter pain in the derriere, and led to a lot of creative use of effects and swearing. I think it took me two days before I was happy with it...