Apple fixes battery-related shutdown issue with MacBook Pro and MacBook Air firmware updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a trio of SMC updates, one each for the MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro Retina and MacBook Air, that patches a minor issue some users have experienced when draining the battery down to near zero.

MBA

According to the release notes, mid-2012 MacBook Pro and Retina MacBook Pro models are affected by the update, while the MacBook Air update applied to mid-2012 and mid-2013 models.

For the MacBook Pro's SMC Firmware Update 1.8:
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (mid 2012) models.

This update addresses rare issues where the battery unexpectedly stops functioning or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.
The same language is used for the MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update 1.2:
This update is recommended for 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (late 2012) models, and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (mid 2012) models.

This update addresses rare issues where the battery unexpectedly stops functioning or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.
Finally, the MacBook Air SMC Update 1.9:
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012 and mid 2013) models.

This update addresses rare issues where the battery unexpectedly stops functioning, the system does not recognize the battery, or the system hangs when the battery charge reaches less than one percent.
It is not clear how widespread the battery bug was, though a quick search in Apple's Support Communities webpage yields a number of hits for threads pointing to such issues.

The latest SMC updates can be downloaded through Apple's Support Downloads webpage, or via Software Update. Those looking to grab the new firmware on Apple's website may have to wait until the respective pages are refreshed, as they currently show information and links to prior updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Macbook Pro Retina 15" here, I got this.

• Reply 2 of 15
    My mum loves her MaBook.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I
    My mum loves her MaBook.

It's MaBook!!!!! Don't touch it!!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    zeoszeos Posts: 6member
    Hey Apple insider, quit putting Chevrolet ads over the top of your stories when we then he your site on our computers. That's cheap. That's low. That's also a good way to lose your viewers!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    timbit wrote: »
    I
    It's MaBook!!!!! Don't touch it!!

MaBook. Truly epic. I'm sure it's headed for the memory hole.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Maybe a shorter way of wording this is "all 2012 and later MacBooks"?
  • Reply 7 of 15

Downloaded on my 2012 15" rMBP. Installed. Works just as great as is always has which is flawless.

• Reply 8 of 15
    thewbthewb Posts: 80member
    Takes all of about 20 seconds to download, install, shutdown, flash, and reboot.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    zebrazebra Posts: 35member
    I also have this problem with an early 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2, 2.2 GHz. When it does it, it goes into hibernation or it shuts down. Upon restart the system corrupts requiring a full OS restore. Wonder why the update does not address this issue for this earlier MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Too bad Apple couldn't help out congress with their shutdown issue...
  • Reply 11 of 15

Never do a firmware update on a Mac!

Made the fans on my Mac Pro go haywire.

Made my Macbook Pro start freezing while using video apps.

Made my daughter's Macbook sound like a hair dryer.

Froze the keyboard on my clamshell iBook.

All different macs with different OSes. All happened with an updated firmware install.

Never do a firmware update on your Mac!

• Reply 12 of 15

have anyone of you faced with issues with this smc update? (Especially studiomusic?)

• Reply 13 of 15
    @studiomusic Same here! Brand new 15inch MPB. Downloaded the update last night and after restarting, my Mac's been doing its best fighter jet impression. The fans are SCREAMING, and the battery all of a sudden DOESN'T REGISTER AS EXISTING. It was PERFECTLY fine before the update.
  • Reply 14 of 15

I have not tried it and will not.

• Reply 15 of 15
    jk12jk12 Posts: 1member

I'm having the SAME issue! After this SMC update on my rMBP 15, fans are spinning, battery is X'd, and magcharger led will not light. Took it into the store and they told me "bad battery". They told me that as they were testing it----WITH IT RUNNING ON BATTERY. They want $310 to fix.

This firmware hosed my machine.