GoPro announces new Hero3+ cameras and GoPro iOS app update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
GoPro on Tuesday announced the availability of its new Hero3+ line of cameras with lighter design, new video functions, better optics and longer battery life, as well as an update to the company's iOS app that allows for remote viewing and control.

The new GoPro Hero3+ line features a number of improvements over its predecessors, most notably in terms of design. The Hero3+ Black Edition features a new housing that is 20 percent smaller and lighter than previous models, and comes with a waterproof case rated down to 40 meters. The Black Edition also has 30 percent longer battery life, Wi-Fi that is four times faster for interacting with an iOS device or the included remote control, and a new "SuperView" mode that captures an immersive wide-angle perspective.

The Hero3+ Silver Edition is billed as two times more powerful than its predecessor. The image processor in the Hero3+ is twice as fast as the Hero3, and the device can capture 1080p video at 60fps and 720p video at 120fps. It, too, has a reworked housing that is 15 percent smaller and lighter than its original. Like the Black Edition, it also features faster Wi-Fi for interacting with an iOS device.

GoPro also updated its GoPro App in the iOS App Store to take advantage of these two new devcies. The newest version of GoPro App adds compatibility with the company's just-announced Hero3+ line of cameras. Hero3+ owners can see previews in near real-time, and they can also control camera settings, including SuperView, Auto Low Light, and 2.7K Medium FOV video.

Version 2.2 of the Go Pro app is available as a free download in the App Store. The 16.1MB app requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod running iOS 6.0 or higher.

The GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition is available for order from Amazon. The $300 device is listed as In Stock, though it may take an extra day or two to process. The Hero3+ Black Edition is also available from Amazon for $400. Both models come with free shipping.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    zeoszeos Posts: 6member
    Hey Apple Insider, quit putting Chevrolet ads over the top of your stories when we open your site on our computers! That's something we would expect from Mac Daily News. It's a good way to lose your viewers. Stop it. Stop it now!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I bought their GoPro Hero3 Black Edition last year after watching their awe inspiring video which had millions of hits.

Anyway, my experience has been very poor battery life. An earlier GoPro unit I purchased prior to the Hero3 Black Edition was extremely buggy and just froze.... sent that one back. The current one Hero 3 Black Edition I wish I could return too.

Look their videos they edit and create with professionals are fantastic. But their products are poorly made. Especially true of the Hero3 version. Where online people have been complaining how the company rushed the product to market.
    By poor battery life I mean 10 mins. When I asked other GoPro owners some of them reported the same problem. So their quality control is poor.

What is worse, is that GoPro has been on a campaign to actively remove poor reviews from Amazon using a malicious 'clause'. So instead of trying to improve their product and fix the issues to keep customers happy they have gone on to bury poor reviews to keep their brand name. This is counter productive long term.

Make a great product, serve the customer well and have integrity in your business.

Do more research. Sony and other companies make similar brands. Also investigate if there is waterproof or robust housing for your smartphone.

Caveat emptor

Other idea is get a case for your smart phone which has mounts.

http://www.otterbox.com/

https://www.lunatik.com/
  • Reply 3 of 11

I bought their GoPro Hero3 Black Edition last year after watching their awe inspiring video which had millions of hits. 

Anyway, my experience has been very poor battery life. An earlier GoPro unit I purchased prior to the Hero3 Black Edition was extremely buggy and just froze.... sent that one back. The current one Hero 3 Black Edition I wish I could return too.  
    By poor battery life I mean 10 mins. When I asked other GoPro owners some of them reported the same problem. So their quality control is poor. 

Look their videos they edit and create with professionals are fantastic. But their products are poorly made. Especially true of the Hero3 version. Where online people have been complaining how the company rushed the product to market. 

What is worse, is that GoPro has been on a campaign to actively remove poor reviews from Amazon using a malicious 'clause'. So instead of trying to improve their product and fix the issues to keep customers happy they have gone on to bury poor reviews to keep their brand name. This is counter productive long term. 

Make a great product, serve the customer well and have integrity in your business. 

Do more research. Sony and other companies make similar brands. Also investigate if there is waterproof or robust housing for your smartphone.

Caveat emptor

Other idea is get a case for your smart phone which has mounts. 

http://www.otterbox.com/

https://www.lunatik.com/

?

• Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dig48109 View Post

Anyway, my experience has been very poor battery life. 

?

Ditto! Even with extender battery pack.

• Reply 5 of 11
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    I decided to go with the Contour HD camera instead of the GoPro. The battery life is great and it takes great video. My only issue was the first one only lasted for two months because of a problem with the magnetic switch that turned it on. I took it back to Best Buy and they exchanged it no questions asked
  • Reply 6 of 11
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

I got the Hero3 Black despite some of the poor reviews.  I figured that the battery life should be low (not 10 minutes), but I wasn't expecting much.  My solution to this kind of problem has always been to load up on a bunch of cheap 3rd party batteries.  Anyway, I wasn't disappointed, I'm getting much longer battery life than what people were complaining about. I'm wondering if later units or firmware upgrades improved things?

Regardless, I've been really happy with it.  Nothing else really compares in terms of accessories and compatibility, and the image quality is just amazing.  I ordered a Hero3+ Black today.

• Reply 7 of 11

I'm glad I waited to upgrade my Hero2s...

Now, will they make a 3d housing for these?

• Reply 8 of 11
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    If your goal was to give me a headache trying to figure out the difference between the black and silver editions, mission accomplished.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    llamallama Posts: 102member

I've had my Hero 3 Black since Dec last year and have not had a whit of the battery problems mentioned above, either with the in body battery or the Battery Bac.  I do have two other non OEM batteries that last longer than the OEM and use all there (plus the Battery Bac) for filing all day (like 6-8 hours) of snowboarding without running out of battery unexpectedly.

If you're getting 10 mins of battery life then you're doing something wrong, I have NEVER run into another GP3 user reporting that issue in real life or online (like goprofanatics.com).  

• Reply 10 of 11
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

If your goal was to give me a headache trying to figure out the difference between the black and silver editions, mission accomplished.

This.

It was hard trying to determine which one I wanted last year and even HARDER trying to convince my wife to approve the extra expense of the more expensive model.  ;)  

• Reply 11 of 11
    From what I see, there has been some nice improvements without a price increase. The extended battery life is foremost. It's nice to see some vendors (ie: HumbleOutdoors) still offering free bundle upgrades.