AT&T 4G LTE expands to 11 new markets, many in southeast

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AT&T has announced the expansion of its 4G LTE network to 11 more markets, and the carrier has improved service in two other markets, meaning iPhone owners in those locales will see greatly increased speeds.

Much of the expanded LTE service is in Georgia or Mississippi, but locations in Alabama, Texas, Florida, Washington, Michigan, and Louisiana will also see greater data speeds. The new locations are part of AT&T's continuing effort to expand its network, an effort that saw the addition of 79 new markets over the summer.

AT&T's 4G LTE network provides data speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. The network covers more than 280 million people across the United States.

The markets now able to access 4G LTE connections are as follows:
  • Selma, Ala.
  • Brenham, Tex.
  • Vero Beach, Fla.
  • Cordele, Ga.
  • Dublin, Ga.
  • Brookhaven, Miss.
  • Natches, Miss.
  • Picayune, Miss.
  • Port Angeles, Wash.
  • Mt. Pleasant, Mich.
  • Lake Charles, La.

Additionally, AT&T announced improved LTE coverage for two more markets on Tuesday. Putnam and Greene Counties near at Atlanta and Wright and Carver Counties near Minneapolis will now have improved reliability and access in their LTE connections.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Pre-emptive posting...

To all Verizon fandroids, yes, this is big news because: voice and data can be used simultaneously only on GSM networks (like AT&T and T-Mobile); AT&T 3G fallback speeds are much faster than Verizon's; and AT&T has the longest history of support for the iPhone.

• Reply 2 of 20
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Good, in many locales I'm finding LTE superior to what appears to be overwhelmed WiFi.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Great. Now if only Straight Talk would let me use LTE. They're on the AT&T network, so there's no technical reason why they can't. It's purely contractual.

Of course, given that it's costing me half as much as AT&T did, I don't mind waiting a few seconds for a download, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now if only Straight Talk would let me use LTE.

I forget, did you purchase yours outright and take it to Straight Talk or buy from them?

• Reply 5 of 20
    Funny but just a few weeks ago I noticed something different about my iPad but couldn't put my finger on it right away. Finally It dawned on me that the status bar read LTE rather than 4G. There had been no prior announcement that LTE was coming to this hick town in upstate NY and to date the coverage map does not indicate that we have it. But even the two lousy bars of reception I get gives me download speeds of 24Mbps and uploads about half that, woohoo!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I forget, did you purchase yours outright and take it to Straight Talk or buy from them?

I purchased it on eBay, but it doesn't matter. Straight Talk doesn't support LTE on phones you buy from them, either.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Good, in many locales I'm finding LTE superior to what appears to be overwhelmed WiFi.

When I first got my 5s I thought there might be a problem with the wifi because it was so much slower than LTE. Had to compare it to my old phone before I believed it. Granted I was moving up from a 4 so it's hard not to be impressed in general with all the improvements. But if I'm getting at least 2 bars(dots now?) on LTE it's better than most wifi. And I live out in the sticks.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I purchased it on eBay, but it doesn't matter. Straight Talk doesn't support LTE on phones you buy from them, either.

Maybe because they’d need to get new agreements with both Verizon and AT&T… ‘Course those two might just not want anyone else taking their bandwidth.

• Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I completely agree with that.  I get 30Mbit+ in most of Florida.   Verizon is no where near that speed.   Verizon about 4Mbit in Florida

• Reply 10 of 20
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Well that can't be right - on the Verizon commericals and on their website http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/4g-lte.html they show AT&T looking like they barely have any coverage anywhere in the country. 

One claims they are fastest - the other claims they are the largest - and the consumer is left trying to make a decision based more likely on the  apparent price and the advice of someone with an agenda or other bias. 

Would be nice to see a large company whose products are so good and service so good that they can keep prices reasonable by NOT spending a billion dollars a year in advertising. 

• Reply 11 of 20
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    Hey ATT,
    Palm Springs area!! Get it done by the Coachella Fest!!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    AT&T is doing well with this, in most cities 20+ mbs and around 5 almost everywhere else, I have heard that Verizon gets about 1 everywhere and in cities 4.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

AT&T is doing well with this, in most cities 20+ mbs and around 5 almost everywhere else, I have heard that Verizon gets about 1 everywhere and in cities 4.

You heard wrong.

http://www.sensorly.com/map

• Reply 14 of 20
    lasfllasfl Posts: 2member
    @jragosta - Straight Talk now has new AT&T sim cards that access the AT&T LTE network for the same prices. Unfortunately you have to buy the new sim and have your ST number ported over to the new sim card to get the LTE, but once you do you will have the speed at half the price.

I am now trying to decide whether I am going to buy the ST new AT&T sim card for the LTE or switch over to AT&T gophone for $40 a month (with buying the refill cards at a discount on Ebay the monthly plan will be closer to $30 a month.) I have been happy with ST but I would love the ease of the Gophone with not having to mess with APN settings and having all the features.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Originally Posted by LASFL View Post

Straight Talk now has new AT&T sim cards that access the AT&T LTE network for the same prices.

Similar topic: Does Straight Talk also allow for the complete and utter blocking of cellular data to and from a device?

• Reply 16 of 20
    lasfllasfl Posts: 2member

@ Tallest Skil - I guess I don't really understand your question.  Straight Talk still has the policy against streaming of any kind on cellular data.  They also have the caps and if you hit their cap they will slow you down to 2G speeds.  

• Reply 17 of 20
    Originally Posted by LASFL View Post

@ Tallest Skil - I guess I don't really understand your question.  Straight Talk still has the policy against streaming of any kind on cellular data.  They also have the caps and if you hit their cap they will slow you down to 2G speeds.  

Yep. What if I want NO data sent to and from the device. Possible?

Caps? They have an unlimited plan and 250MB plan. They… OH THEY JUST CHANGED IT. That’s evil. Man, forget them, then. That makes me quite upset.

Originally posted by Straight Talk

2.5 GB of high speed data is a ton of data.

Not at high speeds, it isn’t.

Nobody wants to run out of high speed data.

Yeah? So maybe you shouldn’t have changed your plan to make people run out, then. :grumble: 

• Reply 18 of 20

Meh. Verizon has been a lot more reliable. I dumped AT&T for iPhone 5 with no regrets.

• Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. What if I want NO data sent to and from the device. Possible?

Caps? They have an unlimited plan and 250MB plan. They… OH THEY JUST CHANGED IT. That’s evil. Man, forget them, then. That makes me quite upset.

Not at high speeds, it isn’t.

Yeah? So maybe you shouldn’t have changed your plan to make people run out, then. :grumble: 

If you don't want to use cellular data, turn it off. It's that simple. 

2.5GB is plenty for many, myself included. If tethering were in the mix, then I could see that being a problem. 

Here's how data works: you use what you use. The speed at which you access it has nothing to do with the amount of data you consume, only the speed at which it's delivered. Make sense? 

There is, however, another point to look at. When you can use data faster, you'll find yourself using much more of it. That doesn't mean faster speeds are using more data. 

I ordered the new Net10 AT&T-LTE SIM card for my iPhone 5, and it arrived yesterday. I'll get to test it out the next time I go to Harrisburg. 

• Reply 20 of 20
    Similar topic: Does Straight Talk also allow for the complete and utter blocking of cellular data to and from a device?

Straight Talk doesn't, but it's pretty easy to put your phone into airplane mode.