Apple's iPhone 5s shows better availability than iPhone 5 at the same point

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New channel supply tracking data indicates that Apple's flagship iPhone 5s is easier to find in stores than its predecessor, the iPhone 5, at the same point after its release.

MARTA AR repair app

The report, from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, tracked inventory in 60 Apple retail stores from Oct. 2 to Oct. 3. At least one model of the space gray iPhone 5s was available in nearly every Apple store contacted, a significant improvement over last year's iPhone 5 launch when the handset was nearly impossible to find in any configuration.

Munster attributes the increased availability to higher manufacturing yields for the iPhone 5s's mechanical elements, which remain largely unchanged from the iPhone 5. He believes "Apple has done a good job" mitigating possible yield issues from the iPhone 5s's Touch ID fingerprint sensor, which some analysts pegged as a supply constraint prior to the phone's launch in September.

The analyst maintains his "Overweight" rating and $640 price target for Apple's stock, while reiterating confidence in the firm's estimate of 53 million iPhone unit sales in the upcoming holiday quarter.

The iPhone 5s and 5c saw record-breaking sales of more than 9 million units in their first weekend of availability and continue to be in high demand. The new smartphones were the top sellers for all four major U.S. carriers in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Quote:

New channel supply tracking data indicates that Apple's flagship iPhone 5s is easier to find in stores than its predecessor, the iPhone 5, at the same point after its release.

Well of course. Apple's been channel stuffing. That's what happens when there is much less demand for the 5s or 5c compared to when the 5 was released.

/s

• Reply 2 of 34
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    He believes "Apple has done a good job" mitigating possible yield issues from the iPhone 5s's Touch ID fingerprint sensor, which some analysts <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/12/rumor-fingerprint-sensor-production-could-limit-apple-to-4m-iphone-5s-units-this-quarter">pegged</a> as a supply constraint prior to the phone's launch in September.

Either Apple did a good job of mitigating or the analysts did a bad job of pegging.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    based the check from this site http://iphone-check.herokuapp.com/, it only seems the 16G grey one is readily available, which is a good thing. It means people do want and are willing to pay at least $100 more for more capacity, which boost Apple's margin, cause a 16GB more storage cost way less than $100. Hooray!!!
  • Reply 4 of 34
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    There's no channel stuffing lol. You can't buy a 5S because it's in high demand in every market around the world. The channel is emptied as soon as Apple fills it.

It's called a hot runaway best selling product. And the 5C is doing WAY better than its predecessor, the 4S this time last year.

Pfffffffft. The only way to spin this is: Apple is knocking it out of the park.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Well of course. Apple's been channel stuffing. That's what happens when there is much less demand for the 5s or 5c compared to when the 5 was released.

/s

As soon as i read the heading of this article.. I Immidiatly headed here to see if some idiots had posted what you did.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    512ke wrote: »
    There's no channel stuffing lol. You can't buy a 5S because it's in high demand in every market around the world. The channel is emptied as soon as Apple fills it.

It's called a hot runaway best selling product. And the 5C is doing WAY better than its predecessor, the 4S this time last year.

Sprint reports they have some number of silver 16 and 32GB 5s in my area. ATT has some 16GB grey. Verizon has some 32 and 64GB 5s's in grey, but that's again in my area, Central Florida. Looks like the inventory may be improving quickly.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    512ke wrote: »

I'm curious how you have access to all this sales data on the 5C...
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm curious how you have access to all this sales data on the 5C...

Doesn't...

• Reply 9 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I thought the yields were low and demand was soft? Which is it, wild guessing analysts?
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At least one model of the space gray iPhone 5s was available in nearly every Apple store contacted, a significant improvement over last year's iPhone 5 launch when the handset was nearly impossible to find in any configuration.

That's because iPhone 5 did not have that glorious gold that has so many 5s buyers waiting for!!...though probably silver is in a decent 2nd place.  Not to insult the space gray lovers, but....why?!

• Reply 11 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm sure Apple, the most successful and richest company on the planet, that just sold 9,000,000+ phones in a weekend, is sighing in relief, after being validated and told they've done a "good job" by Gene Muster. All little Apple strives to achieve is approval by these clueless analysts. 

• Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

As soon as i read the heading of this article.. I Immidiatly headed here to see if some idiots had posted what you did.

He was kidding.

• Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

That's because iPhone 5 did not have that glorious gold that has so many 5s buyers waiting for!!...though probably silver is in a decent 2nd place.  Not to insult the space gray lovers, but....why?!

Closest thing to black. Personally, the closer they get to a solid back, shiny, obsidian slab, the more I like it. Space Gray, to me(just me) is a step by in terms of color.

I want a Monolith.

• Reply 14 of 34
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    In the Seattle area there are no AT&T 5s in any size or color for days... It's total joke... I check Apple's inventory every few hours & it is 0.... I've to the Apple store a few times & they tell you it best to just home...
  • Reply 15 of 34
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member

same here in new jersey. i gave up and ordered 64GB gold via Apple Online Store. 

• Reply 16 of 34
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    woolie wrote: »
    In the Seattle area there are no AT&T 5s in any size or color for days... It's total joke... I check Apple's inventory every few hours & it is 0.... I've to the Apple store a few times & they tell you it best to just home...

What?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

Closest thing to black. Personally, the closer they get to a solid back, shiny, obsidian slab, the more I like it. Space Gray, to me(just me) is a step by in terms of color.

I want a Monolith.

Mmmmm, yes...that shiny obsidian is a nice color for iPhone.  I prefer obsidian black to space gray as well.  Anyway, I was just commenting that that's possibly a reason for space gray to be in stock...is that customers are willing to wait for the two white versions.  Color is more important than one would think.

• Reply 18 of 34
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Local EE/orange shop (uk) could only get 16gb grey versions. Higher capacity versions were available in limited quantities but were only going to their flagship stores. Still waiting for mine - 32gb
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

you did see the /s for sarcasm

• Reply 20 of 34

PLEASE, PLEASE At&t get my 5s here soon!!