Here's a good one for you: OS X takes 6 minutes to load??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
It's a G3 400, with 576 megs of ram with 2 partitions. On one is OS X(10.2.4, option for classic to load on start up is off)), the other partition runs OS 9.2. There's 1.56GB unused on the OS X partition. I don't use this computer but for small tasks, but why does it take so long to boot up(6 minutes from chime to desktop showing)? Any ideas on how to speed it up a little..maybe 200% or more!?

Thanks in advance.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Gilsch ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    My kids have almost the same computer set up(but 384 ram) and it only takes a minute and 20 seconds to boot from cold.

try fixing permisions via the jaguar cd and it may speed up the process, otherwise just leave it asleep if you can.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Is it slow during any one particular stage (with the grey screen showing, during network initialisation etc) or is it generally slow during all stages?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    When I was having trouble with my cable modem, OSX would often pause during "network initialization" for several minutes, fruitlessly searching for a network that wasn't there. Could this be your problem?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    my G3 266 beige tower takes a good 5 minutes to load if i simply hit the power button on the key board and walk away. however, if i hit it a few times the process takes a little less than 2 minutes...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

RodUK: it takes it's sweet time with the grey screen on, after that it's "normal" I guess.

Billybobsky: what does hitting the power button a few times do? I might give that a try if it won't mess up the comp. lol.

Towel: I really have no idea what's going on. Like I said, it happens during the grey screen part.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Gilsch ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    check ur network settings, it takes X forever to boot if it is looking for a network connection that is actually not available...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i think it works because on my particular computer i have a graphics card in a pci slot -- which supposedly supercedes the on-motherboard one but it takes a while for the comp to recognise this or alternatively to power the pci slots unless the key is held/pushed...