AT&T U-verse subscribers can now stream live TV on iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T updated its U-verse applications for iPad and iPhone on Monday to enable live television streaming to iOS devices, both inside and outside the user's home.

ATT U-verse

Subscribers to AT&T's U-verse internet television service now have the ability to watch more than 100 live channels on their iOS devices from inside their home or more than 20 channels when outside their home, the company announced. AT&T says the service expansion is designed to enable "customers to watch TV on their terms when and where they want it."

At launch, CBS's Showtime, TMC, and Flix movie channel families are among the options available on the go alongside sports broadcasting channels the NFL Network and the Pac-12 Network, home to college athletics from schools such as the University of Oregon and Stanford University. Popular options like CNBC, HBO, Comedy Central, and Food Network are only available when customers are at home.

AT&T promises more live channels will be added "on an ongoing basis."

U-Verse ??a bundled offering of broadband internet, voice-over-IP telephony, and IP television ??is the fastest-growing television provider in the United States, but competition is fierce for an increasingly mobile customer base. Verizon's FiOS, a similar bundled service that operates on the company's new fiber-to-the-home network, began offering a small selection of channels for live mobile streaming last month.

Additionally, nontraditional providers like Aereo, which uses arrays of small television receivers to capture and broadcast over-the-air television signals to the internet, are gaining traction and putting pressure on more expensive bundled services. Aereo, which costs less than $10 per month, aims to be available in over 20 cities by the end of 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    If they can do the local affiliates, that shoots aereo off my phone.

Anyone know if it airplays?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Of course, data charges may apply on your phone if you aren't on wifi. Video runs up the usage quickly.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    andysol wrote: »
    If they can do the local affiliates, that shoots aereo off my phone.

Anyone know if it airplays?

No local channels in Austin; I could not find Airplay support in a brief session to test it.
  • Reply 4 of 9

I quit AT&T just few days ago - after being with them since 1st iPhone. I even let my "unlimited" grandfathered plan to go. I must say, eventhough I don't have as much coverage with T-mobile now, I am very happy with my decision and my bill is $40 a month lower than with ATT. What got me most was "upgrade fee" $39 for each iPhone I bought. I am so happy there are no upgrade or activation fees with my current operator.

What I don't understand is an attitude of Apple Store employees who were consistently saying it requires only one phone call to ATT support to refund the fee. What I met with repeatedly were ATT employees who do not want and are probably ordered from higher positions to not refund upgrade fee at all cost.

• Reply 5 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    U-verse is pretty sweet, but too bad I'll seldom use this with my 2GB plan. iTunes radio isn't much better.

[quote]Originally Posted by [B]gabberattack [/B]

I quit AT&T just few days ago - after being with them since 1st iPhone. I even let my "unlimited" grandfathered plan to go. I must say, eventhough I don't have as much coverage with T-mobile now, I am very happy with my decision and my bill is $40 a month lower than with ATT. What got me most was "upgrade fee" $39 for each iPhone I bought. I am so happy there are no upgrade or activation fees with my current operator.

What I don't understand is an attitude of Apple Store employees who were consistently saying it requires only one phone call to ATT support to refund the fee. What I met with repeatedly were ATT employees who do not want and are probably ordered from higher positions to not refund upgrade fee at all cost.[/quote]

U-verse is AT&T's TV service. Not sure how that applies here.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    You also have to use the AT&T wi-fi. I use a linksys router for my wi-fi because it allows guest access and customizable parental controls. It is also a faster wi-fi router than what AT&T provided. I am not able to access the 'local' shows via iPhone because it says I need to be on my 'home' network. Same with the Uverse app. I can't use the remote function because I am not using their wi-fi.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonzo1 View Post

You also have to use the AT&T wi-fi. I use a linksys router for my wi-fi because it allows guest access and customizable parental controls. It is also a faster wi-fi router than what AT&T provided. I am not able to access the 'local' shows via iPhone because it says I need to be on my 'home' network. Same with the Uverse app. I can't use the remote function because I am not using their wi-fi.

That sucks.  I use a Time Capsule because I'd rather have AC and N.  The dumb AT&T Router is only a/b/g.  Not to mention the range isn't close to par with the Time Capsule.

I'm just hoping that AT&T/Verizon Fios (Both Internet TV) and Apple team up on this next Apple TV iteration and have their UI go through there so I can drop the Motorola Routers, and both boxes and just use my ATV 4.  Really really really hoping that'll be the next big move.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Great news, sorta figured this support

(Other comments) AT&T does suck but that's how it is, I have notice a lot of company's that are worse than AT&T however...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    andysol wrote: »
    That sucks.  I use a Time Capsule because I'd rather have AC and N.  The dumb AT&T Router is only a/b/g.  Not to mention the range isn't close to par with the Time Capsule.
    I'm just hoping that AT&T/Verizon Fios (Both Internet TV) and Apple team up on this next Apple TV iteration and have their UI go through there so I can drop the Motorola Routers, and both boxes and just use my ATV 4.  Really really really hoping that'll be the next big move.

If you don't require guest network or back to mac, wire connect the time capsule to the home gateway, put the time capsule in bridge mode, turn off the home gateway wifi and let the n and ac fly.