Foursquare update brings real-time recommendations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Popular location-based social networking app Foursquare saw an update on Wednesday that brought a number of new features, including the ability to check which friends are nearby a user at a given time.

Wednesday's update was aimed at simplifying Foursquare in order to show users what is most relevant to them now. The update brings the location-networking app to version 6.4, and a major addition is the new "nearby" button that allows users to see which of their friends are in the general vicinity.

It also adds the ability to check one's friends' most recent check-ins, letting users more easily plan meet-ups. By clicking on a friend's profile, users can also dig deeper into that friend's recent activities.

The app also uses current user location data to show interesting locations based on real-time positions. Foursquare has also redesigned its app in order to be more in line with the look of iOS 7.

The new version of Foursquare is now available as a free download from the App Store. It is a 23MB download and requires an iOS device running iOS 6.0 or higher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh, thank God! I'll sleep nights now. ;)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    This has got to be the worst idea ever
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If I am the foursqure mayor of a local graveyard, does that mean I'll have my own army, come the zombie apocalypse?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    If you have "friends" nearby that you don't know about but need an app to spy and find out about:

a.) They're not a real friend
    b.) You have too many "friends"
    c.) You need to get a life.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If I am the foursqure mayor of a local graveyard, does that mean I'll have my own army, come the zombie apocalypse?

Haha! I'll make sure to be buried in your graveyard, maybe I can be a Zombie lieutenant in your unholy army. Just make sure not shower so I don't smell your yummy brains.

• Reply 6 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

If you have "friends" nearby that you don't know about but need an app to spy and find out about:

a.) They're not a real friend

b.) You have too many "friends"

c.) You need to get a life.

d.) You're a stalker

e.) Need help finding the best strip joints