T-Mobile CEO tweets about loving his Samsung Note 3, from his iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile chief executive John Legere intended to use Twitter to direct attention to Samsung Mobile's latest Note 3 phablet, but inadvertently did so via his new iPhone 5s, joining a list of major figures who have made the same mistake.

Galaxy Note 3 iPhone twitter

Legere tweeted "Glad @SamsungMobile decided to bring phablets to the states. I don't know what I'd do without my #Note3!" The tweet attached a link to a story explaining how Samsung "conquered the 'phablet' market."

It also noted that it had been sent via Twitter for iPhone (above), metadata that is attached automatically. Notified of that, Legere responded within minutes, "oops. I carry both as you may know! That was funny."

He then followed up with a photo (below) of a gold iPhone 5s alongside a Note 3 and a Galaxy Gear watch, indicating that Samsung's big screen phablet isn't a suitable replacement for a standard sized phone, even when paired with the company's new wrist-attached $299 Bluetooth headset.

In the photo, the Gear watch wasn't on his wrist and the Samsung phablet phone was on its lock screen, plugged in to a power adapter, with a generic carrier background wallpaper image. The iPhone was logged in and appeared in active use, with pending phone, email and Facebook notifications. It also had multiple pages of apps installed and a personalized background photo.

If you see me these are the devices I am using #today and I am on twitter on a different one :) pic.twitter.com/IgiK77XI6P

— John Legere (@JohnLegere)

This all happened before

Sending promotional tweets about other products from Apple's iOS devices seems to be quite popular.

Last year, Oprah Winfrey used an iPad to send out tweets endorsing Microsoft's Surface, using the hashtag "#FavoriteThings" to say she had bought a dozen of them for Christmas gifts.

After BlackBerry paid Alicia Keys to serve as its Creative Director, she sent a personal tweet from her iPhone in February, then removed it and claimed her account had been "hacked."

In March, after the Chinese government's CCTV propaganda channel began airing reports stating that Apple was "biased against Chinese consumers in its warranty and customer service policies," a series of orchestrated tweets on China's Sina Weibo from various celebrities and other well known personalities voiced unison disapproval of Apple on cue after the broadcast, many of which were sent from iPad and iPhones.

Shortly afterward in April, Spanish tennis player David Ferrer tweeted his satisfaction with his #GalaxyS4 and that he was "configuring S Health on my new #GalaxyS4 to help with training @SamsungMobile," all via Twitter from his que contento estoy con mi iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    What a fucking shill.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    The 5s is for when seen out in public and the the Note 3 for the living room as TV.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    So, a non-story then.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    Just for the sake of argument let's say they made a stoopid error and really do like their new doohickey... is there anyone in the world that would buy that they weren't shilling for some company? Absolutely NO ONE. These companies should find out who they are doing business with in the first place (mostly Samsung). Samsung tries really hard (it seems) to look "cool" but their ethics and moralities prevent them from ever being cool. Their PR dept. is just plain incompetent. It's not a flaw, it's a characteristic!
  • Reply 5 of 122
    A lot of people use both. Heck, I have to have one of everything. I'll have the 5S for 650 pretty soon actually. Lets look at what he actually said:

Glad @SamsungMobile decided to bring phablets to the states. I don't know what I'd do without my #Note3!

Does he say "tweeting this from my Note3!"

Does he? He's the friggin CEO of a phone company. OF COURSE he's going to have multiple devices.

This is a nonstory.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    Is the note3 more a competitor to the iPad mini?
  • Reply 7 of 122
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Not surprised that Samsung pays these folks to astroturf. Sammy has been advertising like crazy on the TV that I watch.

On the plus side. these commercials are at least better than Microsoft's, for their Nokia Lumia, like the one at the kid's play where the parents fight (which causes my HTC-owning wife wife to say "I hate this commercial" every half hour when they run it again)...
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

A lot of people use both. Heck, I have to have one of everything. I'll have the 5S for 650 pretty soon actually. Lets look at what he actually said:

Glad @SamsungMobile decided to bring phablets to the states. I don't know what I'd do without my #Note3!

Does he? He's the friggin CEO of a phone company. OF COURSE he's going to have multiple devices.

This is a nonstory, and whoever wrote it is pathetic.

That explains why is "can’t live without it" Note 3 looks like it was just unpackaged.

You’re digging a hole there mr Samsung shill

• Reply 9 of 122
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Oh Dear God, not THE Scott Wilson, the eternal troll of CNet fame?

• Reply 10 of 122
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

Is the note3 more a competitor to the iPad mini?

No it’s a far more expensive phone ($750 for 16GB), requiring a phone contract to make any sense ($1000 a year). Plus a $299 Gear watch because the Note 3 is too big to take out of your purse just to answer it. 

But it is funny that the shills are saying that its normal and customary for people to carry $1075 of Samsung crap along with your iPhone. 

• Reply 11 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Even when DED is speaking the truth is sounds biased. You've a way with words my good man. A way with words.

> He then followed up with a photo (below) of a gold iPhone 5s alongside a Note 3 and a Galaxy Gear watch, indicating that Samsung's big screen phablet isn't a suitable replacement for a standard sized phone, even when paired with the company's new wrist-attached $299 Bluetooth headset.

That does not indicate that. At all.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Not surprised that Samsung pays these folks to astroturf. Sammy has been advertising like crazy on the TV that I watch.

On the plus side. these commercials are at least better than Microsoft's, for their Nokia Lumia, like the one at the kid's play where the parents fight (which causes my HTC-owning wife wife to say "I hate this commercial" every half hour when they run it again)...

Oh, you mean the one littered with iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, etc. and that one lonely Windows phone couple sitting in the back? Yeah, that annoys me because they show more of their competition than their product.
    pdq2 wrote: »

Whew! Missed that. May have inadvertently thumbed up his post. Thanks for saving me from replying!
  • Reply 13 of 122

This is a story BECAUSE the CEO CHOSE to tweet his opinion of his Note 3 from his iPhone 5s. His opinion has weight and could sway future buyer opinion.

Be erring mistakenly or purposefully, the tweet becomes a story about a lapse in judgement. Why the heck is he tweeting at all about devices?

Lastly, isn't there a Twitter available for Android he could (should) have used? Duh?
  • Reply 14 of 122
    Quote:

Same shit from the same ASS H*** from Cnet just a different day!!! Go back there stay away from here :mad:

• Reply 15 of 122
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Well, he's using his iPhone to send the tweet, do I guess he can at least send a tweet without his Note 3...

• Reply 16 of 122
    Quote:

Mr. Legere said to send his thanks; he was worried he'd have to register an account here in order to defend himself. He's eternally grateful you are here to stand up for his good name.

• Reply 17 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Pfft, who cares what devices a carrier CEO chooses to carry, or what device he likes to tweet his opinions from?

This gotcha journalism is pretty lame.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

If you just block him and not quote him then the rest of us who just block him won't have to see his posts.

• Reply 19 of 122
    I wonder how much samsung is paying them!
  • Reply 20 of 122
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ireland wrote: »
    Even when DED is speaking the truth is sounds biased. You've a way with words my good man. A way with words.

> He then followed up with a photo (below) of a gold iPhone 5s alongside a Note 3 and a Galaxy Gear watch, indicating that Samsung's big screen phablet isn't a suitable replacement for a standard sized phone, even when paired with the company's new wrist-attached $299 Bluetooth headset.

That does not indicate that. At all.

I thought the same thing. Hah.