Apple's iOS 7 sounds crafted by Owl City creator Adam Young

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An update to his webpage, founder of electronic music project Owl City, Adam Young, reveals he created sounds for Apple's latest iOS 7, which debuted with a host of new tones.

According to Young's discography, the artist credits himself as working with Apple in an unspecified role on "Sounds for iOS 7."

The exact iOS 7 sounds Young is responsible for is unknown at this point, though it can be assumed the artist developed the new ring and notification tones as they are clearly crafted from electronic instruments. Many of the iOS tones created prior to iOS 7, still available in a Settings subcategory dubbed "Classic," attempted to reproduce the sound of real-world instruments.

Another possibility could be that Young reworked the older tones, which were remastered for iOS 7.

Preforming as Owl City, Young saw success with the track "Fireflies" and has worked on numerous high profile projects since, including collaborations with Paul van Dyk and Armin van Buuren. Recently, Young has expanded his repertoire by producing, mixing and adding vocals to music for animated movies like "The Croods," "Wreck-It Ralph," and "Legend of the Guardians."

Monday's news comes after voice actor Susan Bennett came forward in early October, revealing she leant her voice to the American female version of Apple's Siri virtual assistant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

They're definitely more ambient and trance-like. Softer I think. I love the new sounds. Guy did a great job.

• Reply 2 of 49
    I'm sure there's a really great joke in this that I'm not seeing considering the way people perceive the "music" of Owl City, but it's either not obvious or beneath me.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I had these suspicions. A: I secretly love Owl City to unending scorn from my too-cool-for-school friends. B: I loved the new sounds. C: There is one called "Night Owl"

• Reply 4 of 49
    Check out the ringtone "Night Owl" my money is on that one.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I mean seriously, they're about 500% better than the barking dog and and the church bells and the "Bad to the Bone" piano riff. 

• Reply 6 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I updated to iOS 7 3 days ago. I beta tested a few times (ex-dev) and knew of the new sounds. My fave is the new iMessage sound for sending a message: much nicer!

But gosh those animations need serious help. When you haven't used the device for a few minutes and you press sleep/wake to wake up the screen takes over 1 second to begin fading-in. Don't ask me what planet the folks in Apple are on with this. And the speed the springboard takes to fly in when unlocking is akin to a bed sheet floating down onto a bed: nice to look at, but not exactly a great idea when you have to use your device.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    I love this guy. I have listened to him nonstop for years now and he is a super cool artist and person. He did a great job!
  • Reply 8 of 49
    beehunt wrote: »
    Check out the ringtone "Night Owl" my money is on that one.

Sounds. To be that seems like he helped create all the new system sounds and probably a few of the ringtones. Apple is about putting few good people on projects, not many people doing a bit each.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    ireland wrote: »
    I updated to iOS 7 3 days ago. I beta tested a few times (ex-dev) and knew of the new sounds.

Really? The new sounds were only added on the final GM Build... Until then, all the previous betas only had the old classic tones...
  • Reply 10 of 49
    chishin wrote: »
    Really? The new sounds were only added on the final GM Build... Until then, all the previous betas only had the old classic tones...

You are correct, but the GM was testable before it went public, so I did that and then reverted to iOS 6 until now.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I finally gave in and updated to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. After I discovered I already had the install image on my device and already paid the overage in bandwidth for it, I decided to install it and get it over with. It is not so bad although IMO rather youth oriented with the motion, translucency, and colors, but which middle aged adult doesn't appreciate a little more youth in their life? 

So far, I can live with it and I'm sure it will grow on me over time. I was hesitant at first but resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

• Reply 12 of 49
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    OK, anyone want to take credit for the new icons?
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I finally gave in and updated to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. After I discovered I already had the install image on my device and already paid the overage in bandwidth for it, I decided to install it and get it over with. It is not so bad although IMO rather youth oriented with the motion, translucency, and colors, but which middle aged adult doesn't appreciate a little more youth in their life? 

So far, I can live with it and I'm sure it will grow on me over time. I was hesitant at first but resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Interesting. How did the update data itself cause your data overage, since the update will ONLY download over WiFi?

• Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interesting. How did the update data itself cause your data overage, since the update will ONLY download over WiFi?

Because right now I'm getting all my data from a wifi cellular hot spot The device thinks it is on wifi but actually it is on cellular because that is the way the hot spot works. It allows up to 4 connections including my iPad and MBP all originating from the Sierra Wireless Cellular Hot Spot so I also paid $10 for the uninitiated download and unapproved overage on the iPad as well.

• Reply 15 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm guessing that this is some kind of bug, but I don't always hear a sound when connecting a power cable. It needs to be there 100% of the time, like it was before.

• Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Monday's news comes after voice actor Susan Bennett came forward in early October, revealing she leant her voice to the American female version of Apple's Siri virtual assistant.

• Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

leant 

(limagent)

v. Chiefly British

A past tense and a past participle of lean1.

Perhaps passes spell check, but not necessarily grammar check Blame the editor, oh wait...

• Reply 18 of 49

The new tones sound to me like variations of the same tinkly keyboard with a handful of the same notes thrown in. I truly can't tell one apart from the other, except for their rather non-descriptive and cutesy-sounding names.

Easily the dullest part of iOS 7. Color me totally unimpressed.

• Reply 19 of 49
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm guessing that this is some kind of bug, but I don't always hear a sound when connecting a power cable. It needs to be there 100% of the time, like it was before.

That's is the down side of all these cool new sounds. You can't hear it clearly. If you get used to it then you can but it's still not very clear. You can ridicule the old sounds any way you like but it's very clear and you never missed it. Talking about form over function yet again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Easily the dullest part of iOS 7. Color me totally unimpressed.

Color me another one.

• Reply 20 of 49
    Huh. No wonder I hate the new sounds. I was used to my old alarms and alerts, keyed to them. The first thing I did after loading the GM was find the old versions and load them back on.