How to get the lowest prices on Apple's new MacBook Pros with instant coupons, tax-free options

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited September 2014
Apple's new family of MacBook Pros introduced Tuesday are on their way to the company's largest authorized resellers, and AppleInsider has again teamed with a pair of its sponsors to offer readers the lowest prices anywhere on standalone 2013 MacBook Pros as well as those bundled with 3 years of AppleCare protection.

MacBook Air

The new MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup brings Intel's fourth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, with next-generation integrated graphics, 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity and new memory options from 4GB up to 16GB. With the component changes, the new 13-inch Pro has a battery life of nine hours, while the larger-screened 15-inch version can go up eight hours per charge. Apple also shaved $200 from the starting price of both the 13- and 15-inch models, bringing the thin but powerful laptops down to $1,299 and $1,999, respectively.

New MacBook Pros

However, any AppleInsider readers who click through the MacMall links in this article (see table below) or our Price Guides and then enter Promo Code APPLEINSIDER02 on the product page will save an additional 3% off the retailer's already discounted prices, yielding the lowest prices anywhere on the just-announced MacBook Pros (as well as MacBook Airs and iMacs).

MacMall, which is the No.1 direct seller of Apple technology behind Apple itself, tells us that it will begin shipping these new MacBook Pros starting this evening and into tomorrow (Wednesday). The 3% AppleInsider reader discount is available only when ordering online and online orders are processed in the order they are received. It's also worth noting that unlike large retail chains like Best Buy, Apple and Target, MacMall only collects sales tax in CA, NY, IL, WI, MN, CO, TN, NC and GA. This will yield even greater savings for readers outside those states.

New MacBook Pros with AppleCare

Meanwhile, readers who are looking to bundle their new MacBook Pro with 3 years of AppleCare Extended Warranty Protection can use the links in our guides for exclusive pricing on MacBook Pro+AppleCare bundles from B&H Photo, as can be seen in the segment of our Mac+AppleCare Price Guide below. More specifically, this promotion discounts Apple's $249 AppleCare protection plan for 13" and smaller MacBooks to just $179.99 and cuts the price of the $349 plan for 15" and larger notebooks to just $244 -- a savings of $69 and $105, respectively.

MacBook Air

The Manhattan-based super store is one of the world's largest volume sellers of all things electronics, and only charges sales tax to orders shipped to its home state of New York. The option to attach an AppleCare plan will appear when you click the "PRE-ORDER" or "ADD TO CART" buttons. If you run into trouble adding these bundles to your cart, see our easy 5-step help guide. B&H says it will start shipping units on Wednesday and throughout the week.

If you do not see your desired configuration, check back soon as more configurations are expected to propagate into the guides over the next 48 hours.

Upgrade for less

Also, if you are upgrading from a previous MacBook, don't forget to lock in a price quote now from Gazelle or one of the other buy-back services listed in the price guides that will pay you in cash or gift cards for your used Apple gear. This helps mitigate the cost of purchasing new hardware. For example, Gazelle is currently buying used MacBook Pros in "Good" condition for in excess of $600 cash, and used MacBook Pro Retinas for over $700 cash.

Trade-in

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    "ADVERTISMENT - How to get the lowest prices on Apple's new MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons, tax-free options"

Fixed that for ya', AI.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Everybody should pay tax, no matter in which state that you live.

I say that because none of these "tax-free" options ever apply to me. I have to pay tax on damn near everything that carries an Apple logo, and I hope that you too will soon be in the same boat.

• Reply 3 of 18
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Funny you should label this as an "Exclusive" story, instead of an Advertisement, which is what it is. Actually, it's not very funny.

• Reply 4 of 18
    I sold my old Retina 15" for $2500 on ebay. Why in the world would I sell it to Gazelle for $700-1200? Thats a MASSIVE loss.. by any standard.. sheesh..

On the bright side.. minus ebay/paypal fee's, I cleared $2200 and have my new rMBP ordered ;)

Love resale value of Apple products.. Funds my upgrade itch! :D

EDIT: Just checked with Gazelle, I had the 2.7Ghz, 16GB w/768 SSD.. they offered $1351.. glad I sold it on ebay.. man..:smokey:
  • Reply 6 of 18
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I say that because none of these "tax-free" options ever apply to me. I have to pay tax on damn near everything that carries an Apple logo, and I hope that you too will soon be in the same boat.

alaska has no sales tax. nor do delaware, montana, new hampshire, and oregon. there are some exceptions, of course (such as on restaurant meals and rental cars, etc.) my info might be somewhat out of date, but in general in think it's accurate.

so, even people residing and buying in those states should pay sales tax?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

alaska has no sales tax. nor do delaware, montana, new hampshire, and oregon. there are some exceptions, of course (such as on restaurant meals and rental cars, etc.) my info might be somewhat out of date, but in general in think it's accurate.

so, even people residing and buying in those states should pay sales tax?

I didn't know that there were any states with 0% sales tax. I obviously have never lived in such a state, as I get raped daily. I just checked it out for myself, and you're correct, there are a few states that don't have any.

http://www.sale-tax.com/

So, I will revise my statement, and say that everybody, besides those few people who live in those states, should pay tax. It seems to be the wild west when it comes to internet commerce, with some sites charging tax to certain places, while others charge no tax at all.

• Reply 8 of 18
    apple ][ wrote: »

Probably some day, but now we get many times the no tax(online only) there is the question of do you have a relative like that and they be willing for you to ship it to them?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Probably some day, but now we get many times the no tax(online only) there is the question of do you have a relative like that and they be willing for you to ship it to them?

Yeah, I suppose that is always an option, if somebody has a relative or friend in a nearby state that pays no tax.

Imagine buying something like a Mac Pro, and then paying almost 10% on top of the price? That is no small amount.

• Reply 10 of 18
    Can't you get the AppleCare for mbp retina for $250 on B&H without buying a "combo"?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I'll be getting a similarly specced Lenovo with a discrete GPU and will get a 50% "discount" for that instead of going for a MBP...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, I suppose that is always an option, if somebody has a relative or friend in a nearby state that pays no tax.

Imagine buying something like a Mac Pro, and then paying almost 10% on top of the price? That is no small amount.

It's 13% where I live.  However, I've been to other areas of Canada where there's less sales tax, and I find that the price of things in retail stores is generally higher.  So the tax is just hidden in the cost of goods (i.e. applied somewhere else in the chain).  However, for things like Macs where you pay the same no matter where you order it, I always try to get it shipped to somewhere with lower sales tax.

• Reply 13 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I'll be getting a similarly specced Lenovo with a discrete GPU and will get a 50% "discount" for that instead of going for a MBP...

Except then you're stuck with Windows.

• Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Funny you should label this as an "Exclusive" story, instead of an Advertisement, which is what it is. Actually, it's not very funny.

As this is a free website, they get their money from advertisements.  While sometimes these "stories" are annoying, the quality and information the site gives us more than makes up for the occasional ad content they push out.  Additionally, even though you (and I) really are not taking any value out of the advertisement, there might be others that save a couple of bucks due to it.

BTW - there's nothing that forces you to click on the link to read it.  :)

• Reply 15 of 18
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

What!?  AI is trying to tell people to skip paying sales tax?  Legally buying out of state goods, people should pay sales tax (or in CA they call it the use tax) by filing their sales tax return or state income tax return.  Yeah, I know not many people are doing that as required by state law.  But tell people not to do it because it saves money is another thing.  I would expect better from AI instead of telling people to do tax evasion.

• Reply 16 of 18

Why wouldn't everyone buy from here if it's always cheaper and you can get it tax free?? What's the catch and I don't see anywhere to enter the discount code.

• Reply 17 of 18
    I appreciate the article.

Can you pls add the year of the model / released ? This will help uses like me.

Thanks
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Do you want to get Apple MacBook Pro Mac MD103HN/A for just $1,050.00?
    Check it out: http://www.tripleclicks.com/14740227/detail.php?item=306189
    And electronics for cheap: http://www.tripleclicks.com/14740227/tcsearch/category:5