Apple TVs get iMovie Theater support in latest update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Following Apple's announcement that its new iMovie apps for OS X and iOS would support a new sharing feature called iMovie Theater, the company activated an Apple TV channel dedicated to the service.

iMovie Theater

In an over-the-air update to its set-top streaming device on Tuesday, Apple is now pushing from its servers a new iMovie Theater channel to support the new iMovie apps released alongside OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Along with a graphical overhaul, iMovie for both Mac and iOS offer new features rooted in iCloud. With iMovie Theater, users can create clips, trailers or movies and share them across devices with friends and family.

The content served up by the service can be created in iOS or OS X and stored in one location for easy access.

iMovie for iOS can be purchased for $4.99, while the Mac version costs $14.99. Both versions come pre-installed on new devices and those who purchased the software through the App Store are eligible for free upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Boy, do I ever not like the automatic you have no say in it we’ll take off whatever we want whenever we want updates on the Apple TV… 

This is neat, though. It’s like OS X iBooks’ previewing of iBooks Author documents. Just wish I could have decided that (in this case, when) I wanted it instead of being told I want it.

• Reply 2 of 16
    To bad the Apple TV 4th generation did not come out, since we are still at 2nd generation (4 year old) internals. A5 and (HD support) are only new things which make me feel it should be $30 with previous gen. $20 but I might be a bit off?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Just not in the UK, Again!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    The UK would like these upgrades as well please.

What we would really like is a few things like BBC iPlayer on the Apple TV. You'd have yourself and absolute stampede to get one by the public with catchup services included.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Great, another app to "restrict".  Most annoying app management interface I've had to deal with in years.

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

The UK would like these upgrades as well please.

What we would really like is a few things like BBC iPlayer on the Apple TV. You'd have yourself and absolute stampede to get one by the public with catchup services included.

I know,   I just cant understand why BBC iPlayer is not available as it is on almost every other platform out there including the other iOS devices.

• Reply 7 of 16
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Boy, do I ever not like the automatic you have no say in it we’ll take off whatever we want whenever we want updates on the Apple TV… 

This is neat, though. It’s like OS X iBooks’ previewing of iBooks Author documents. Just wish I could have decided that (in this case, when) I wanted it instead of being told I want it.

That's always been the history at Apple- surprised you're venting.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That's always been the history at Apple- surprised you're venting.

No, it has never been Apple’s history to erase content from users devices without their knowledge or permission.

• Reply 9 of 16
    So... if one were to convert (copy)a movie dvd (eg raiders of the lost ark) into a the imovie format, import into itunes(then presume upload to cload?) imovie theater would show it on my apple tv?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

So... if one were to convert (copy)a movie dvd (eg raiders of the lost ark) into a the imovie format, import into itunes(then presume upload to cload?) imovie theater would show it on my apple tv?

Yeah, but why would you do that? Just rip it from the disc straight to an MP4 file with HandBrake. 

• Reply 11 of 16
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My AppleTV has always asked if I wanted an update or not. Often times I have said no, and it works fine without updating.

I don't quite get this comment.

• Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've only ever seen things added to my Apple TV, never removed. What are you referring to?

• Reply 13 of 16
    Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post

I've only ever seen things added to my Apple TV, never removed. What are you referring to?

Since they can be added without user input, they can be removed without user input.

It may be running “iOS”, but it feels a LOT more like a website interface. The user has no control over what the site owner puts up or takes down.

Note that there was some downtime of the iTunes Store a few months back… and the “TV Shows” option on Apple TV disappeared entirely. Not icon, click, Could Not Connect To The iTunes Store, no… completely GONE. 

• Reply 14 of 16
    Is this a Trojan horse competitor to YouTube?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is this a Trojan horse competitor to YouTube?
    Interesting idea. Not yet, certainly, and I think Apple would rather leave the web services end to Youtube or (preferably) Vimeo. But the infrastructure is certainly coming together for them to turn some of this stuff into a more social experience. iCloud, youCloud, weCloud?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    imovie Theater now on ATV in the Uk, no update needed!